IR50/50 Rule Change

ewwills

I have notified all IR50/50 Match Directors of a change in range procedure for IR50/50. Equipment no longer must be removed from the line after each target. Bolts must be removed or a highly visible chamber flag installed before the line can be declared safe or cold.
The rulebook will be changed in the fall when some other issues will be addressed.
I hope this will make shooting IR50/50 a little easier for participants. We have determined that down range is better than down the line.

Wayne Wills

Last edited:
Will they be called to the line for first target of the day or may they be in the rest, without bolts, as part of setup?

IR 50/50 rule change

With all due respect, I'm wondering how many match directors agree with this rule change ?
I for one will not hang a target with a rifle pointing at my back. Rifles are safer with bolts removed
and stored in a rack, not on a bench.
My two cents worth
Ray

Opinions
Some are Very Happy and some are not. My basic rule is: Bolts always out until on the line and the command of insert bolts is given. After finishing target or the command of cease fire is given bolt should immediatly be removed. I have given the Match Directors a Choice. They may use the old Range Rules of guns off the bench or they may not. Our goal is not to indivdually micro-manage every aspect of different Ranges Range procedures, but to allow those who wish to have some leeway in taking care of their shooters.
Several Match Directors have stated they will continue to require that guns are to be removed from the bench. I support their decision 100%. At the same time most have indicated they will allow shooters to leave their equipment on the bench between targets. They have my support also. My new rules merely state the minimum safety requirements. Some ranges may have more stringent rules and we certainly will not try to supercede those procedures.
I trust my Match Directors to make the right decision in regards to their circumstances and not rely on someone 100's of miles away to tell them how to safely manage their firing line. To avoid confusion, Individual range procedures should be announced at the beginning of every match.
This decision was made by me after a great deal of thought. I believe in the long run it will prove to be a good one.

Wayne Wills

With all due respect, I'm wondering how many match directors agree with this rule change ?
I for one will not hang a target with a rifle pointing at my back. Rifles are safer with bolts removed
and stored in a rack, not on a bench.
My two cents worth
Ray

Ray, for what it's worth, in centerfire BR it has always been OK to set up rifles with bolts out. Pretty standard, pretty safe.

I support the rule change. It was always kinda funny to have the guns off the bench rule for safety then see them pointing every which way as they were taken off the bench to be cleaned, which was ok.

I don't shoot any longer but I agree that it's a good change. I wanted to change the rules years ago but met enough resistance to just keep on the way it was. It's an OK change at the very least. I will say that rimfire folks are slightly less careful about where and when they put their bolts.

It's absolutely amazing....well, I won't write that...but it is amazing! Y'all are a pretty careful bunch!!

If you see somebody doing something that's not safe, stop and tell them. It's not only OK to do that, it's expected!!!!!!!

I don't shoot any longer but I agree that it's a good change. I wanted to change the rules years ago but met enough resistance to just keep on the way it was. It's an OK change at the very least. I will say that rimfire folks are slightly less careful about where and when they put their bolts.

It's absolutely amazing....well, I won't write that...but it is amazing! Y'all are a pretty careful bunch!!

If you see somebody doing something that's not safe, stop and tell them. It's not only OK to do that, it's expected!!!!!!!

Wilbur,
Thank You for your support. It means a great deal to me.
Wayne

In response to the gentleman who stated that he required guns be removed from the line and placed in the racks.I shoot predominately at
Kettlefoot,Alleghany,Bullseye and Iredell. THERE ARE NO RACKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOOD DECISION WAYNE

Last edited:
Good change, but please add a clause to prevent cleaning on the bench when a live fire relay is going on. That's for those who finish fast and decide to clean their rifle.

Annoying as hell having someone cleaning beside you while you're trying to finish your target. It'll happen, believe me:)

Back