IOR Valdada 40X45 BR Rifle Scope

tonykharper

First, I would like to say this is not an advertisement for IOR and I'm not paid by anyone for writing this.
I simply want to pass on what I hope to be useful information to fellow shooters.

I was looking for a good quality RFBR scope to use as a slave when testing various rifles. I wanted it to be less expensive than the Night Force Competition 15X55's and Khales 10X50's I was using.

I read on another forum that the IOR Valdada 40X45 BR may be just the ticket. Finding one wasn't easy, but I was able to buy one used but in excellent condition.

It arrived and I installed it. Here are my impressions.

First, it is a strictly business scope. No frills, no whistles, and no foolishness.

It has everything a benchrest shooter needs and nothing more. The sight picture is clear, and the reticle is the right size. Mine is the floating dot which I like a lot.

As my eyesight has deteriorated, I've had trouble seeing some of the very thin crosshairs. That was one of the reasons, two years ago, I went to using the Khales scopes. Before that I had been using Night Force 15X55's since they were introduced.

The cross hairs and dot in the IOR are perfect of me. Some may think they are a little large.

Looking though the scope and comparing the dot to .22 bullet holes in the paper it looks that the dot is about 1/3 the size of the bullet hole. Maybe slightly less.

That allows me to easily see the dot and still be very precise in where I place it. Since it is a floating dot, nothing I need to see for reference is covered.

So far, I'm very pleased with the Valdada IOR 40X BR.

I've heard the March High Master 48X52's are great fixed power scopes. If you have one and have experience with the Valdada IOR I would really like to see a comparison between the two.

TKH

Attachments

• ior6.jpeg
    ior6.jpeg
    40.5 KB · Views: 40
  • ior1.jpeg
    ior1.jpeg
    57 KB · Views: 38
  • ior2.jpeg
    ior2.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 39
  • ior4.jpeg
    ior4.jpeg
    79.2 KB · Views: 39
  • ior3.jpeg
    ior3.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 38
  • ior5.jpeg
    ior5.jpeg
    44.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Nice report Tony. In CFBR they have been pretty much bullet proof, rock steady holding POI. I have shot with one and liked it. Bart Sauter has won a lot with them I know.
I have a 48X HM and it’s the best BR scope I ever owned, have two 40 X’s as well, all on 6 PPC’s all have been bullet proof.
Personally have 1/8 and 3/16 dots, don’t have a particular preference.

I’m a old Leupold guy and have had a few 40X. I never needed a 45X. I have got rid of all my Leupold’s except for one old gloss 36X. Most of the older March scopes I have looked through never impressed me enough to run out and plunk down the money for one. I hear the High Master is really nice. I picked up a Sightron Slll 36X45 ED. I am quite impressed by the quality and clarity and function of it. Maybe the nicest BR scope I have ever owned. They make a 45X also. I might consider buying another one in the 45X but I love the 36X. It’s just so clear.

2 of our RFBR guys here in Finland used this season IOR 36x42 competition scopes and they are happy.

Other one is Mr Jens Lagas who was few years out of RFBR and seems that "holiday" from shooting has not disappered his skills.
He shooted 3rd place on World Championships 2023.

www.optics-trade.eu/en/ior-benchrest-36x42-competition.html

Mr Tomi Korpi has looked through this Jens IOR36x42 scope and said to me that too clear to him-:).

I am "Sightron fan" and havent seen any reason to change brand.

BR, Timo

2 of our RFBR guys here in Finland used this season IOR 36x42 competition scopes and they are happy.

Other one is Mr Jens Lagas who was few years out of RFBR and seems that "holiday" from shooting has not disappered his skills.
He shooted 3rd place on World Championships 2023.

www.optics-trade.eu/en/ior-benchrest-36x42-competition.html

Mr Tomi Korpi has looked through this Jens IOR36x42 scope and said to me that too clear to him-:).

I am "Sightron fan" and havent seen any reason to change brand.

BR, Timo
Timo, which Sightron do you use? I have a 45X with target dot and like it very much!

BR, Larry

Back