Internal organs of a March scope?

Having had 5 8-80's and two repairs Andy they start to get dark around 58 ish mag which is only to be expected.
Great scope when you get a good one, i havent in 23 months.

The 10-60 is the most neutrally balanced optics i have come across, full on edge to edge resolution not matched by any other producer, certainly at high power.

so back to the original question does anyone have a picture diagram or hollographic image of the internals?

Butch, I did everything, drove it to Kelbly's to be sent back with the others on the shelf. A total of 5 went back together. I would like to try a variable but i'm little afraid after that 2000.00 mistake..... jim

Need more info

Having had 5 8-80's and two repairs Andy they start to get dark around 58 ish mag which is only to be expected.
Great scope when you get a good one, i havent in 23 months.

The 10-60 is the most neutrally balanced optics i have come across, full on edge to edge resolution not matched by any other producer, certainly at high power.

As an optical engineer I am not sure what you mean by neutrally balanced.

Light loss through magnification are the laws of physics at work. But you describe the phenomenon as getting dark. That doesn't sound correct. You should still be able to clearly identify the moth ball of the target clearly and easily identify the bullet holes.

Still looking

so back to the original question does anyone have a picture diagram or hollographic image of the internals?

Not long after the March scopes came out I contacted Deon and asked one of the engineers a couple of technical questions. They sent me a schematic of the internals. Chances are someone fouled up and it shouldn't have been sent. I haven't seen one of these since. I know that file has been deleted from the computer but I know I printed it out. When I find it I'll let you know. Still looking.
Andy.

PS If memory serves me correct it is very similar to the gimble locking system I used when I made a couple of reflex scopes many years ago.

I offered help 20 months ago requested a drawing or sketch, they wouldnt provide. If they had perhaps i might have had a working scope 21 months ago.
All got out of them is its rack and pinion.

Jim had that on a scope returned for second time which was rebuilt.

Should have worded it different Andy, colours and imagery seem more realistic on the 10-60 than on all other scopes. Resolution is outstanding and perhaps its best feature.
The 80's do look dark above 58 mag region and may well vary from one scope to the next. True you get used to it, resolution dont seem to increase just the mag, well on the one i tried to use for a short while two years ago.

Mag Vs Res

Well contrary to popular belief an optical systems resolution doesn't actually increase proportional to the magnification. If for example a system can resolve 10 line pairs per mm at a mag of 4 times then it is still 10 line pairs per mm when the zoom ring is used and set at 8 times. No different to altering the mag by leaving it set to 4 times and just moving the scope closer to the target. Moving the scope didn't alter its resolution factor either. Just because the user can see more detail doesn't mean it wasn't there at the lower mag.
Andy.

Well contrary to popular belief an optical systems resolution doesn't actually increase proportional to the magnification. If for example a system can resolve 10 line pairs per mm at a mag of 4 times then it is still 10 line pairs per mm when the zoom ring is used and set at 8 times. No different to altering the mag by leaving it set to 4 times and just moving the scope closer to the target. Moving the scope didn't alter its resolution factor either. Just because the user can see more detail doesn't mean it wasn't there at the lower mag.
Andy.

Optical resolution given quality optics (not Chinese plastic lenses) is totally dependent on the diameter of the objective lens or mirror, if a mirror telescope. And since the area of an optic varies with the square of the radius, increasing diameter has a marked effect on resolution and light gathering ability. That's why you see professional astronomical telescopes being built bigger and bigger as new lighter weight optics have developed. Given quality, nothing trumps diameter.

Spot on GLP its the lens and coating quality that is more beneficial than the front bell size.
My old PR Mark 4 35 comparing to various PM2's 25 and 50 mags was like comparing a March to a ZOS and that was a 40 front bell.

Poorer lens quality ie polishing and coatings dont let light through, it scatters causing white out.
As much as i hate to admit the chinese could actually build top notch optics if someone was to stand over the manufacturing process. Guess what a certain cheap and nasty 50 mag scope dont white out very easily, try a S&B they do at 6x the price.

Previously

Optical resolution given quality optics (not Chinese plastic lenses) is totally dependent on the diameter of the objective lens or mirror, if a mirror telescope. And since the area of an optic varies with the square of the radius, increasing diameter has a marked effect on resolution and light gathering ability. That's why you see professional astronomical telescopes being built bigger and bigger as new lighter weight optics have developed. Given quality, nothing trumps diameter.

In my previous statement I made no reference to altering effective diameters. Just altering the mag at a fixed diameter. You have gone off on a tagent and missed my point.
Andy.

March Scope internals

gabe ledesma

Internal organs of a March scope?
Does anyone out there really know, just what exactly type of internal Nob adjustments a March scope has that is so much diff than a Leupold comp or a NF BR scope?

I dug out this photo of the internals of a 40X March Scope. Not very good quality,but you can count the parts. Hope this helps you make a decision. I will share a story which may or may not interest you.

Back in November 2012 ,I had dinner,at a Japanese restaurant, in the Dallas area, with James Kelbly and Turk Takano, two of the three people who actually went to Japan and toured the Deon Optical Inc. Manufacturing facility. at Nagano-Ken,Japan.

The third person is Stewart Elliott of Australia. James Kelbly and his family(Who I met) came all the way from North Lawrence,Ohio to watch his favorite Football team (Dallas Cowboys) play the Washington Redskins.

As it turns out, America's team(Dallas Cowboys) got beat, 38 to 31. During dinner,James told a very colorful story about his trip to Japan and two full days at Deon Optical,where he observed factory operations,specifically the work and materials that go into building a March Scope. To say that James was impressed with his visit is putting it mildly. I even know some of the menu selections he made when he went out to eat.

I totally enjoyed the evening and I thank My Friend Turk Takano for the invitation. I bet James Kelbly would be more than willing to share some facts about March Scopes.

Scan1_zps0cd60528.jpeg

Glenn

Last edited:
Back