installing a dro on a lathe??

skeetlee

i finally took possestion on my new grizzly g0509g lathe and now its time to install the dro. I have been doing some reading so i have a general idea how to intall the DRO But i was hoping for some tips or even some pics. The Directions that were included with the Grizzly DRO arent all that great. Any type of info or pictures will be great. Thanks Lee

Skeet once you get the DRO installed it is important to keep in mind that on a lathe there is considerable lost motion between the scale reading head and the lathes tool tip.

This is what my brackets look like. The brackets that come with it are worthless as is. They all have to be modified or make your own.

My lathe is a G0509. About 3 years old. I can take better pictures if I remove the rear splash guard but not easy with the wires attached to it. Willing to answer any questions. Wayne

Attachments

• Dro on grizzly  G0509 005.jpg
    Dro on grizzly G0509 005.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 369
Skeet, 'lost motion' is called all sorts of things in our trade...... it's the flex, the difference between moving HERE and the working part moving THERE.... think about running a funny trowel, how much you hafta wind up before the trowel moves out on the end of the hannles!

Lost motion.

I agree with Jerry, in fact I have two DRO pickups on my lather, neither one is for crossfeed.

al

understood! thanks again guys i think this will be a piece of cake!! anyone got any 300 series tool holders to sell or trade?? lee

If you got the dro's from ebay/singapore kind of thing....

watch for/plan for:

if the reading head can flex back due to the cable moving....it can change the readout by several thousandths. (unless this one scale is just flakey)

In the one instance I have found this (Z axis, Mill) , I used a piece of long scrap of thick G10 fiberglass for the head to ride against (G10 is fastened to mill behind head), and not allow the cable to flex the head.

think about running a funny trowel, how much you hafta wind up before the trowel moves out on the end of the hannles!
al

Does this have something to do with bricklaying? What the hell is a hannie? Is a funny trowel supposed to make me laugh? What and how are you winding up? This sentence totally incomprehensible without some context. :confused:

Arizona they are known as a Walking Trowel.

John

Welllllll, maybe colloquially, but on the whole "walking trowel" isn't enough description. I have 6 different styles of non-motorized "walking trowel" excluding long-term variations like "Fresno," "Texas" and "rocker steel," and this one with an offset 3-way swivel happens to be the "funny" version as offered by Kraft. :)

Out here if you were to say "I was finishing with a Walking Trowel" someone would ask "kick-offs or combo's?"

Whereas "I shoulda' added cal, it din't go off, I had to hand-wipe wit' da' friggin' funny" is perfectly specific......

LOL
al

Some opinions about the DRO questions and comments.

First of all, I've used DROPROS as my supplier and found them to be extremely thorough and helpful. http://dropros.com/ their installation page is especially useful for figgering out what to you can and cannot do with install.

#2, on the subject of jiggly readings, I believe this to be due to play in the setup. It may be DRIVEN BY the weight of the cord, but it results from vibration transferring to the pickup. It's not a "flaw" it's a "reading." In other words, it's because the pickup head is reading machine vibration. Using the serpentine pulley idler from an '02 Avalon I built a tensioning wheel for my tailstock unit. Keeping it under mild load and hanging the cord in a sliding bracket eliminated the jiggly vibration readings. I can even switch to 'mils' and get solid reads! For chambering to depth it's more repeatable than my system of dials and gages.

BTW Skeet...... if you get set up in mils it's confusing! I can't recommend it unless you've got really intuitive math sense. FOR ME it messed with my construction grade logic to have to switch from base ten to "base five" or actually some bastardized form of "1/2 base ten" I can now see why it's hard to get information regarding readings in mils. Maybe it's logical but to me it's completely goofy to designate a "mil" as 1/5 of a tenth!

opinionsby

al

Back