Inside case neck cleaning?

ReedG, in my opinion, is a fellow to listen to!

What he said about the HoF shooters i think is brilliant. I, too, have met a bunch of these guys and most of them are pretty shrewd, but most are minimally educated and "use what works." Now, don't get me wrong, I didn't say they were dumb!
I have gotten to the point where my lab balance weighs loads to a granule, my bullet seating force is accurate to a couple pounds, i use the best bullets available and on and on. What I have really done was eliminate all my excuses! At the end of the day, these guys plain out shoot me! I am having a hard time learning to read the wind and the mirage, but these HoF guys don't even remember how they read these things, they just point the gun and pull the trigger!
So, until I can read the wind without really noticing what I am doing as well as noticing the mirage and accounting for it I will still finish mid pack at the nationals and maybe get some ribbons at club matches. I just have to pull the trigger a lot more!

When I initially got into BR shooting I didn't clean inside the necks. But I found after 5 to 6 reloads from new brass I could feel some resistance a sort of dry rubbing sensation throughout the press when seating the bullets. Cleaning the inside of the necks stopped it. I don't know if that build up made accuracy suffer but I can't imaging it could be enhancing it. My aggs did get smaller but that was mainly due to getting more practice. In any case I will continue to clean the insides because I don't like the feel if I don't.
Andy.

Thats what I figured.. If I clean the necks, feel less resistance to seat the bullet

IMO the best way to "feel" is at the target. That is where you rifle tells you what IT thinks is important, and beyond that, your opinion (or mine) simply does not matter.

do you really believe it gives a s__t if your case neck is clean??.

Just speaking for myself, I know when I pay close attention to detail with my loads, I "feel" good about them. Say if I get in a hurry and skip cleaning primer pockets, or weighing bullets, I know in my head I skipped something. May not make any difference, but what is in ones head can have a big impact.

It's never just one thing

IMO the best way to "feel" is at the target. That is where you rifle tells you what IT thinks is important, and beyond that, your opinion (or mine) simply does not matter.

It's never just one thing you do or don't do that makes a rifle shoot poorly just like it usually isn't one thing that makes an aircraft crash. To clean the necks or not you will never be able to identify how much or little that portion of the process contributed to the size of the group. I just don't like the way it feels when seating the bullets. Pure and simple.
Andy.

Andy I'm with you keep them clean. I go a little more by using moly inside the necks after there clean, because it does make a difference at 1000 yards. Never leave a rock unturned! Maybe its my H-4350 is to dirty. But when I'm done they all seat the same, Feel and OVAL.

Joe Salt

What I can't figure out is why you are concerned about carbon build up in one place and not others? If you are using it as a lubricant for the bullet sooner or later it has to be dealt with! Easier to keep them clean than to say I should have.

Joe Salt

One fly more to bring into this ointment about clean necks. I know personally a current shooter who has won a 4-gun, 3-gun, 2-gun and several grands in the recent past. He is a stickler about neck cleanliness even though his brass is discarded after each big shoot or after two smaller shoots.

The point? If this shooter has reason to keep clean necks imagine how, potentially, neck carbon buildup could effect some shooters brass who use the same brass for years!! The reality of the potential effect probably could include, in a particular situation, cartridge neck to chamber neck clearance, neck tension and powder burn cleanliness among other factors

Example, if a shooter is running 0.0005" clearance, and some do, and another shooter is running 0.004" clearance, and some do, the shooter running 0.0005" clearance would probably be more effected by buildup than the 0.004" shooter.

On that subject, I'll wager a majority of shooters don't know what their ACTUAL neck wall clearance is. Do you measure the neck diameter of each chamber before you install that new barrel? Do you measure the actual neck diameter with the bullet seated or do you simply measure brass neck wall thickness?

Jerry thats why some people use Sonic cleaners to clean their brass, and some just fire there brass just once or twice. Boyd you sure let people get under your skin, I'm in the Hall of Fame, that and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee at Dunkin Donuts! I'm in it for the shooting!

Joe Salt

Boyd & GoodGrouper you are both very talented Writers, wish I could do as well in that aspect explaining about all the mistakes I made in loading and Shooting in the last 45 years, I'd have a Damn book out that was paying for my habit! GoodGrouper you are right about people having a good barrel and getting into the hall of fame, My wife happens to be one of them. She couldn't tell you a seizing die from seater die. But I taught her how to shoot and that I'm very proud of. Now answer MY question why would you make sure there is no carbon in your barrel or wherever but leave it inside the necks? Doesn't make sense!

Joe Salt

Hi Joe,
Thank you for the compliment. As I posted earlier in the threat, the fellow that I wrote of, that has amassed such a fine record in short range benchrest, decided to test rather than assume what was best, and he went with what that test told him worked the best. Looking at his results, I would be hard pressed to criticize his choice. IMO many times we assume things without testing them rigorously. Back in the day, I assumed that running closer neck clearance in tight necked chambers would give better results. In the last few years, I have become aware that some very successful shooters think otherwise. That is just one example. There are others, all of which involve differences between what one would think, and what actually is the case based on testing of one sort or another.
Boyd

Boyd I drove myself nuts by trying to leave carbon in the necks and even taking some out, My neck tension was bad my seating was way too far out. So what I ended up doing was polish the insides, with 0000 steel wool, then us moly neck sizing powder on the inside, the problem went away. If you want some names I showed this to Jason Baney He Wrote an article on 6BR. about it, of course he didn't use my name. But he was sure happy.

Joe Salt

How I'm doing it now is with a Hoppes nylon bore brush in the same caliber. Wile twisting in one direction, run the brush in and out of the case 3 times. Should I be doing more? Thoughts and suggestions.

That's fine. Just be consistent. I chuck my RCBS nylon brush in a portable drill and run it in and out of the neck a couple of times.

None of this is etched in stone or rocket science, just keep it simple and consistent. :)

Joe,
Any tip that reduces variability is a good one. I think part of what is going on here is the difference between short range benchrest with short bullets, and 600 and 1,000 yard shooting with long BTs. If I remember correctly, you primarily shoot long range, and for that, it is my understanding that ES is extremely important. In the short range game, it is much less so. Personally, I tend to pay attention to the differences in how much force it takes to seat bullets, and the powder that I have shot the most of seems to like a lot of neck tension, which can be in short supply with necks about .008 thick, and having only about .130 or so of the shank of the bullet in the case neck. In the long range game, I would expect that the higher sectional densities and possibly greater amount of bullet shank in case necks would make having enough bullet pull and back pressure against the powder easier, and although I have no information about slower powders bullet pull force preferences, I have had some experience with short range powders that seem to hot have much of a requirement for that. In any case, I will file your information for future use.

Hi Joe,
the fellow that I wrote of, that has amassed such a fine record in short range benchrest, decided to test rather than assume what was best, and he went with what that test told him worked the best.
Boyd

Yep. I agree. See post #18. ;)

Back