Ignition?

C

cobra1

Everywhere I read, the record Smith's say one must have "good ignition."
BC's writings state that a Shul has a good bolt, but may need work to insure good ignition. How does one evaluate if your getting good ignition?
The size of the imprint? The depth of the mark? How is one to judge if their firing pin/bolt is up to stuff or needs expert work? Pictured would be helpful.

thx gn

gn,

Good ignition is paramount to maintaining shot-to-shot consistancy, almost more so than any other single factor once you have your gun up to where you want it!

I have had 2 Suhls in my life. The first was a proven winner, and when the accuracy started to drop off I immediately ordered two HD springs from Wolf Spring and replaced the firing pin spring on it as soon as they arrived, then noticed the difference at the very next match as it went right back to being a winner.

But, foolish me, I sold that gun two year ago and haven't been unable to bring the second Suhl up to snuff yet as it seems that a new barrel may be needed as well.

Anyway, after analyzing the imprinting of the second I thought I was getting plenty of consistance. That was right up until I replaced the spring with that other HD spring, then compared the imprinting again. I'll say this; it may have been imprinting the rims identically shot-to-shot before the replacement., but when compared to after replacing the spring, the difference was night and day as to just how deep the imprints were when comparing the two.

Sorry I don't have any photos, but I doubt that they'd show much anyway.

Dave Shattuck

Very long springs

Dave,
Did you use the Anschutz 54 extra strength Wolf spring and trim it to length(?), or does Wolf make a correct length spring for the Suhl?
I ordered a 2-set using the Wolf part number in the Calfee sticky on RFC, but they’re just about twice as long as the compressed (still installed) Shul spring.

Don’t want to trim them if they aren’t the correct ones!

Thanks
Jim

Here's a picture incase anyone has done this, or has any ideas.
TIA
Jim

SuhlRPLSpring.jpg

Suhl Springs

I prefer Suhl Springs. Everytime I tried to substitute them with a Wolfe Spring I got coil binding and the results were less than desired.

Yup, that's the spring I used. Once you removed the old one from the firing pin you'll find that the difference is far less than it appears to be when it's still in place on the pin. But, the new one is definitely longer, and stronger.

No, I didn't trim either of them when I installed them. But, no matter, before you do anything just make damn sure you measure the length of the spring from the outer end of the spring-stop back to the back end of the nut holding everything in place, then remeasure that same length again after you've installed the new spring to make sure everything is the exact same length when you're done ...no ifs, ands, or buts!

Pay close attention to what Fred is saying though about maybe using a Suhl spring instad of the Wolff as he definitely has a much longer history with using and maintaining Suhls than I do, so I'd strongly advise listening carefully when he is sharing info.

Of course, and then there's the Guru of Suhls, Mr. Gary Mitchel if he would decide to chime in as he knows Suhls better than anybody I've ever had the pleasure of meeting or talking with.

Good luck!

Dave Shattuck.

Cobra,
Go over to RimfireCentral.com and check out the sticky's at the top of the Suhl forum. There's some pretty good info over there including pictures.
Todd

Thanks Dave,
I just wanted to make sure everything looked right before I dove in head first. The spring needs a lot more compression and has a lot more strength than I’m used to. Its great to hear from someone who’s actually installed one.
Thanks again!

Fred.
Thank you,
Do you have a contact where I can get a new Suhl spring or two?

Jim :)

Get bank to you

Search in the members section for "Banjo" Tim Allen. I don't have his number handy right now. In Waco for the PSL.I think he email is, twa5@yadtel.net

Last edited:
JJ-IA

The Anschutz spring number # 30463 is what you are looking for.
Fred K

Fred - Which spring?

I see in the photo the spring number is for an Anschutz 1700 series and is part number 30462.

Fred K. replys that the one we want is an Anschutz 30463? Is this a typo or a different spring and if different is it shorter, smaller diameter or what? Thank you.

Az
That number 30463 came from Calfee. Call an Anschutz Dealer.
Fred K

Search in the members section for "Banjo" Tim Allen. I don't have his number handy right now. In Waco for the PSL.I think he email is, twa5@yadtel.net
Thanks, I just sent him an email.
Good luck at the PSL!

JJ-IA

The Anschutz spring number # 30463 is what you are looking for.
Fred K
The part number through me a bit too when I read the sticky on RFC, but looking at the Wolff sites description I believe the only difference is the quantity in the package. Bill C gave the order # for 10, and I ordered the 2-pack.

No hurry on this project really, but I am excited to get started. :D
I still have to re-stock the rifle this winter and choose a tuner type. I was going to swap the spring before our last match this weekend, but I think I’ll slow down and do some compression force tests first.
You can bet I’ll have a couple of Suhl & what’s the best stock questions along the way!

Jim

Back