If you HAD to use a bipod for benchrest....

mrh1958

....how would you set it up on the bench to shoot a sporter weight rimfire rifle?I have seen several suggestions about using Plexiglass,wax paper,carpet,etc.Supposedly shooting right off the concrete is a no-no,any input appreciated

I would not, unless everyone I was competing with had to also. If that were the case I would first experiment to find out what worked best for my rifle and style. I'd try carpet, several different types of wood, a nice "plastic" cutting board etc etc. bob

By "Bi-pod" do you mean a Harris/Versa type bi-pod or the F Class type bi-pods that have been turning up these last few years?

I would not, unless everyone I was competing with had to also. If that were the case I would first experiment to find out what worked best for my rifle and style. I'd try carpet, several different types of wood, a nice "plastic" cutting board etc etc. bob

Thats what I mean if everyone had to use a bipod.......thanks for the reply Bob

Just a Harris BR model

I shoot a lot using a harris bi-pod. The trick to it is to preload the bi-pod. So you can't shoot free recoil.
Off of a solid platform I have found I get the best results using a plain piece of heavy duty Berber type carpet with the loops running at 90degs to the line of fire.
Carpet tiles and Wilton/Axeminster type carpet doesn't work as well for some reason.

Look at the RBA web page and go to the pics , Pic #91 is how I would do it. David K

Hello Mr H. I monkey around with a Harris that I have mounted on a hopped up 10/22. I made replacement "feet" out of teflon, and rounded them on the end's. They slide well on most surfaces & work pretty good. (for plinking) Ed.

They slide well on most surfaces & work pretty good. (for plinking) Ed.

Hi Ed
Hows it hanging?
Curious as to why you would want them to slide. I shoot everything, rimfire and centerfire, with a hard hold and preloaded. The last thing I want is slippery feet. Be it when plinking or otherwise.

Those 10/22's are fun to throw time and money at. I've messed around with a few over the years. Have now got myself a heavy barrelled sako quad. So no more messing.

Back