If I order barrel

V

Veritas

Will I get the same barrel as a top shooter on the list. Let's say, David Tubb, Tony Boyer and I all wanted the same barrel. Would I recieve the same high end barrel or will a barrel maker give them the hummer and I get next in line?

There is no way a barrel maker can identify a "hummer" from the rest of the excellent barrels he makes. It is the results from shooting that identify a "hummer".

Fine barrels these days

There is no way a barrel maker can identify a "hummer" from the rest of the excellent barrels he makes. It is the results from shooting that identify a "hummer".

Yes......... I can say with CONFIDENCE that competition from the other High End barrel makers bring out the BEST in manufacturing of their respective barrel type.

They gotta..! The Competition of the respective shooting sports demand it.

I feel this is the percentage ... 80% Real Good, 15% Good, 3% Awesome (Hummer), 2% Just defective to some degree.

Bad ones get out from time to time... It just happens... Say'n that, I believe the makers WILL stand behind their product when a defect is found.

Barrels today I STRONGLY believe are better than ever. Manufacturing processes are getting better and better.:)

Just look at results or (better yet) just go to a match and ask...

The odds are WAY in your favor of getting a barrel that WILL be beyond your shooting capabilities.:eek:;)

cale

I agree with Dennis.
When you order a select match grade barrel from a maker such as Shilen, Krieger, Hart or one of the others, you will get a barrel that is made to the same tolerances as the rest of the guys.
Some guys buy several barrels ( 4 or 5) at a time and test them all looking for the best of the bunch to shoot at the big match's.
I don't know if it means much but I like to check out the equipment list for the big matches and see what barrels are winning.
At last years Super Shoot their were 5 different barrel manufacturers in the top 20 of the 10.5 lb class.
Ted

Generally I agree with you, but...

I agree with Dennis.
When you order a select match grade barrel from a maker such as Shilen, Krieger, Hart or one of the others, you will get a barrel that is made to the same tolerances as the rest of the guys.
Some guys buy several barrels ( 4 or 5) at a time and test them all looking for the best of the bunch to shoot at the big match's.
I don't know if it means much but I like to check out the equipment list for the big matches and see what barrels are winning.
At last years Super Shoot their were 5 different barrel manufacturers in the top 20 of the 10.5 lb class.
Ted

I had to send a 6mm barrel back to the maker a few years ago because it simply would not shoot anything but wide cloverleafs after much testing and several good scopes to give it the benefit of the doubt. I got a bore scope and looked inside. It was the worst collection of tool marks and striations I have ever seen short of a standard factory barrel. The maker was great about replacing it and I was happy with the new one.

But, are you saying that barrel would have been shipped to, lets say, Tony? --Greg

Barrels are a crap shoot. That's why the top shooters like Boyer may order up to 20 a year, looking for the barrels that will, coupled with their skills, give them a competitive edge.

The best barrel ever made, coupled with the finest craftsmanship with the best of the rest will not make you a better shooter, on the other hand it sure ain't going to hurt you either.:)

I had to send a 6mm barrel back to the maker a few years ago because it simply would not shoot anything but wide cloverleafs after much testing and several good scopes to give it the benefit of the doubt. I got a bore scope and looked inside. It was the worst collection of tool marks and striations I have ever seen short of a standard factory barrel. The maker was great about replacing it and I was happy with the new one.

But, are you saying that barrel would have been shipped to, lets say, Tony? --Greg

Talk about a "fart in church"?

Amen

Talk about a "fart in church"?

I think the Elders may peek @ the orders from SOME people, eh? That said, all one has to do is become King of the North Pole and they might get their order peeked at.

Back