Ideas wanted

T

Tom Thomson

What's the best way to trim a soft rubber (Savage) buttplate down to fit a new stock?
tommyt

Sand it off......

Belt sanders = ruffing in
Orbital sanders = finish work
Masking-Tape the stock next to the pad and sand/blend the pad to the stock (tape).

Good Luck
Donovan

i have used an 8" bench grinder, then a 4" 90degree hand held angle grinder.
and tape...yes!

Most work done off the stock..only finish on the stock

Just be aware

i have used an 8" bench grinder, then a 4" 90degree hand held angle grinder.
and tape...yes!

Most work done off the stock..only finish on the stock
that the smoke can be very irritating. Try to work slow enough that you minimize smoke.

And whatever shaping you do off the stock will minimize the chance of damaging the stock. Masking tape is your friend.

Also, those soft rubber pads can very easily be grabbed by a sanding or grinding disc. Always have it firmly secured, or have a very good grip, before starting.

Tom,
As usual, Jackie Schmidt is right.

My variation:
A sanding disk on a radial arm saw is the best to sand off the excess. Leave the pad on the stock & wrap a layer of black plastic electrical tape and a layer of white masking tape on the wood in front of the pad. Using 120 to 150 grit on the disk, sight along the line of the stock to keep it in line with the disk. You can sand until the disk bites the masking tape & the black plastic tape shows. I usually finish with sandpaper on a flat file.

God bless those trap shooters. They pay thousands for a trap gun & then want the pad changed! KaChing! I like the Kick-EEZ pads the best, but your mileage may vary.

Regards,
Ron

I've tried every method known to man, and I've wrecked some stocks in my day. The first recoil pad I ever fitted for a client was on a Galef that was considered a family heirloom and I nicked the stock. Fellow got custom stock job and still wasn't exactly happy.

My opinions-

YES belt sander, faster/wider=better
YES large 10"-12" disc sander bigger=better
NO grinder
NO drum sander even the big 14"ers
NO Surform tool
NO auto body air equipment (DA, reciprocal, orbital, rotary etc)
NO hand-sanding except polish or touchup of lines, NO shaping
NO files or rasps

If it's smoking you're doing something wrong

Here's what I use.... it's made by B&R, from Brownell's http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ols/b-r-recoil-pad-fitting-jig-prod44670.aspx

I'm not arguing, these are just my opinions based on my experience. IMO, buy the jig and then do a few for your buddies and it's paid for....

And if you have a large table saw this guy is also an option....but MUCH harder to use,

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ools/universal-fitting-fixture-prod25267.aspx

you will get some in your eye.

And you'd best be limber and have good eyes and hands.

I laid a table saw over on it's side....

hth

al

Last edited by a moderator:
Back