I just can't help but wonder?

D

Dave Shattuck

Have you read the Holbrook Indoor match Results from March 1st yet? If not, you may want to before going any further with this one.

I have talked with Dan plus read what Paul has had to say about how miserable the conditions were for shooting this past Saturday at Holbrook, both due to the lack of heat combined with the added noise from the jackhammers pounding away. And because of both it gave me cause to wonder whether the added vibrations being created by the jackhammering moving through that much denser than normal, cold air may have possibly had an affect on their scores?

It is a well known fact that barrel vibration has a significant impact when shooting both rimfire and center fire guns, hence all the hubbub about tuning either the barrels for rimfire or changing the loads for centerfire in order to better balance that vibration out of the equation. But, so far with airguns we are finding that due to the lesser impact of the pellet being driven by a blast of air rather than an explosion of gun powder, there are lesser vibrations, or at least a different type of vibration to deal with and try to overcome. Of course, a few of us are playing around with the idea of applying the Purdi RX, but the vote is still out on that. Due to my experiences it is my opinion that with airguns a properly adjusted Air Stripper will do everything needed to both tune the barrel while at the same time creating a much less hostile environment around the pellet while it is obtaining free-flight. The trick there is to 1.) have a good quality Air Stripper which is designed to remove as much of the turbulent air from around the pellet as soon after leaving the bore as possible and 2.) take the time to find the sweet spot where it is properly in tune.

However, with what the boys were faced with on Saturday, it sounds to me more like there was little that could have been done to neutralize the situation. Most of what was happening would have had only a slight affect on the guns, but probably not enough to have caused much more than maybe a slightly lower X-count. But, with all that has been described, my guess would be that maybe with all the added vibrations passing through the denser than normal, near-freezing air, that could have had a much bigger affect on their pellets from immediately after their exiting the bore all the way to the point of impact.

What do you think? Remember, with the size of the X/10 Ring being what they are, and when considering the weight of the projectiles it wouldn't take much to disrupt an otherwise perfectly good shot.

Yup, Cabin Fever is running rampant here in the Northeast!

Dave Shattuck

David,
I think the low scores had more to do with the constant use of range two by the powder burners. Maybe the jackhammer noise didn't help? But people were coming and going the entire match. You know every time the second range door opened a blast of warm air comes in. The jack hammering was on the floor near the kitchen wall to the outside door. Which is 4 feet higher than the range floor. Yes it was COLD and I dropped a lot of pellets loading. My misses I believe when I air gauged my pellets I wasn't centered on the press. Now I will roll them after weight and air gauge sorting.
Going to the range tue and will shoot some ON-Target targets then put the .22 Kreiger barrel on for Open Class at the Nationals.
See you at the April shoot ?

Paul

Multiple factors

One of the major considerations that may have taken place is the reversal polarity of ions in the air being caused by the static discharge of the jackhammer. I also heard the solar flares were at an increased level, also disrupting the magnetic field, and may effect the trace elements in the lead of the pellets.
From what was said about the door, and the heat, it may affect the fibers in the paper causing contraction and changing the point of impact between the time of pellet discharge and impact. It sounds like some very serious conditions to contend with.

Garrettkq, That makes sense to me.

One of the major considerations that may have taken place is the reversal polarity of ions in the air being caused by the static discharge of the jackhammer. I also heard the solar flares were at an increased level, also disrupting the magnetic field, and may effect the trace elements in the lead of the pellets.
From what was said about the door, and the heat, it may affect the fibers in the paper causing contraction and changing the point of impact between the time of pellet discharge and impact. It sounds like some very serious conditions to contend with.

Looking forward to meeting you at the Nationals.
How did the wet targets do with scanning?
Paul Bendix

wet targets

The targets handled as expected. We tested the paper before the match by soaking it in the tub for 3 hours, then pulled them out and dried them on a flat surface with the use of a blow drier.
During the match we had some wet targets, did the same drying techniques. The only caveat was that we could not stack them in the scanner like usual. We had to feed them one by one. But the scoring was right on.

Sorry I missed the fun!

Sound like I missed a tough one this past weekend! Sorry you had to deal with all the distractions!! Hope to make it to the April match. Paul, will any of the matches move outdoors in the warmer weather?....and BTW, Paul, thanks for the support for Holbrook, now a full member!! Thanks!!

How about scanners?

I have an older scanner that could be used I believe, what for programing is required for the scanner?

Thanks,

Pete

Back