Hunter Class Scopes

Joe Entrekin

What is considered the best 6X scope for Hunter/Varmint Hunter score shooting these days? The Burris 6X scopes seemed to be in favor a few years ago, but they have discontinued those scopes.

I have only been shooting Hunter Benchrest for a few months, so some of the guys loaned me both Weaver and Burris 6X scopes to try,then I ordered a Leupold FX3 6X from Bruno's and like the Leupold the best. Lots of eye relief, nice bright big field of view.

Larry

Leupold FX-III Competition Hunter BR Rifle Scope 6x 42mm Adjustable Objective 1/2 MOA Target Dot Reticle Matte

not available- one time run

1/2 MOA Target Dot is a bit big for Hunter class - no? :confused:

Glenn:D

Leupold FX-III Competition Hunter BR Rifle Scope 6x 42mm Adjustable Objective 1/2 MOA Target Dot Reticle Matte

not available- one time run

1/2 MOA Target Dot is a bit big for Hunter class - no? :confused:

Glenn:D

I got mine from Bruno's they were cheaper than midway.
At 6X .5 MOA dot works good for me.

Larry

Joe...

What is considered the best 6X scope for Hunter/Varmint Hunter score shooting these days? The Burris 6X scopes seemed to be in favor a few years ago, but they have discontinued those scopes.

have tried Burris...great optics, less than stellar durability. I have one I'll sell you, but you'll have to send it back to the repair shop!

Have a Leup 6x HBR and like both optics and so far so good on ability to track and hold.

If you want the cat's eye, get an old Weaver steel tube 6X and have it blueprinted by Ackerman...if you can live with 1/4 adjustments. Call Wally Siebert and talk to him about why the internals of those old scopes were so good. All said with the caveat that nothing is 100% forever. Might this be a new direction in your shooting career? --Greg

Just playin' around, Greg. Have a rifle with an older Burris. Scope seems OK, but not 100% confident in it. Thinking about getting another scope as a spare or replacement. Lookin' for opinions. Henry & I are both shooting 6X at the Nationals. Randy is loaning Henry a Hunter setup & we put a 30BR barrel on mine, so I'll be shooting VH. Should add a lot of fun to the week. I am still in awe as to how well those rifles & shooters perform.

I'll throw my 2 cents in

I have had a bunch of 6 x scopes since I began shooting 6x rifles. I have had great luck with both Burris and Sightron scopes. I think the Sightron has better optics than the Burris' I have (6 at the present time).I have 3 Sightrons with 0 problems and one of the new Leupolds with a nice Premier small dot in it. I prefer the optics of either the Burris or Sightron to the Leup I have. Others may vary? I would be very hesitant to say any of them are "The only game in town". Any of them can break your heart at any given moment in time. One of my Burris's windage turret froze up on me the other day in a match, for instance. While I was able to finish the match satisfactorily it still is very hard to move and not reliable now.

I have had a couple other Burris' that had problems. Jackie Schmidt froze the pair of them and I am using one of them in a TSI mount. So far, so good on that but the elevation screw is the pits. It is very easy to make windage corrections but elevation is a whole different matter. I cope with it but want something easier to use. I TRUST that scope, by the way! :D

I use a Weaver T6...but...

I have only been shooting Hunter Benchrest for a few months, so some of the guys loaned me both Weaver and Burris 6X scopes to try,then I ordered a Leupold FX3 6X from Bruno's and like the Leupold the best. Lots of eye relief, nice bright big field of view.

Larry

When I look through a couple of new Leupold's some of my friends have, I love the clarity and longer eye relief. The Weaver T6 is a fine scope and I've used them for years, and one can't beat the utter reliability of their elevation and vertical adjustments, but...I'm getting kinda tired looking through a small vignette circle because of the short eye relief (3" vs. Leupold's 4.5"). The dot size in the Leupold is fine. Maybe I'll spring for one.

virg

Joe..

Just playin' around, Greg. Have a rifle with an older Burris. Scope seems OK, but not 100% confident in it. Thinking about getting another scope as a spare or replacement. Lookin' for opinions. Henry & I are both shooting 6X at the Nationals. Randy is loaning Henry a Hunter setup & we put a 30BR barrel on mine, so I'll be shooting VH. Should add a lot of fun to the week. I am still in awe as to how well those rifles & shooters perform.

yes it is fun and challenging. Come to the Bud next year and shoot the 2 gun. Good luck at the Nationals. You will be in REAL Hunter gun country out there. Wish I could attend. Watch out for a couple of ringers from Pa named McKee and Long!

Hi Joe.

I've used Burris, Leupold, Weaver and Sightron scopes on my HBR gun. For a new scope, Leupold is the only mfg. currently cataloging an A.O. 6X scope suitable for 6 Power BR competition. The long eye relief of the Leupold is a very nice feature to have on a HBR/VH rig. ;) I've got a known-good scope that I carry for a backup if you need something for the Score Nationals.

Looking foward to seeing you and Hiz Humbleness at Webster City :) -Al

Thanks for all the replies. And thanks also for the offers to use spare scopes offered by some of you. Guess I'll show up with what I've got, and if there are problems, I'll take y'all up on your offer.

Back