Howa action thread pitch

chet
have you worked on or do you own any howa actions?

on another note chet, im not sure we are going to find the time this year to come your way to hunt. Its not officially out of our plans yet, its just that this winter has been crazy. watermain brakes at work, and lots of snow to push. my hunting pard, is in his last year of school at the university of Illinois, and his work load is demanding this semester. if we think we can get away I will give you a call. hope all is well. lee

Lee I have only done one Howa 260 Rem for a friend. Fairly nice little action. Any time you want give me a call and I am ready.

Chet

Ive looked at these Howa actions on several occasions. I think there is a lot to offer with these actions. If I were to buy one, I would of course want a custom barrel. I haven't ever cut a metric thread, and im not 100% sure how to even do it. I know I have to keep the lathe engaged but other than that, I would need to learn. If I could see it done one time, I could do it, im sure. I like this action, I really do! Lee

Lee, For metric threads leave half nut engaged and withdraw at end of cut, run in reverse to pickup starting point...

howa

If you cut metric threads on an imperial lathe its a good idea to lock in the half nuts and then unscrew the half nut lever...its to easy to forget and knock the half nuts out when you get to the end of the thread.

Steve

Howa

There is one other way I know how to cut metric threads on a lathe with a inch lead screw. You can thread up to your point to where you end your thread. disengage your half nuts back out your cross slide shut the lathe off. then put your lathe in revers tell the number on your threading dial is lined back up with the number again. engage your half nuts back the carriage to the start of your thread and have at it.

I've cut metric threads before, and I understand about never disengaging the half nuts, but what would happen if you put a solid carriage stop where you start the threads and then re-engage the half nuts on the same number? The threading tool is in exactly the same spot every time the thread is started. I may try that on a scrap piece.

There is one other way I know how to cut metric threads on a lathe with a inch lead screw. You can thread up to your point to where you end your thread. disengage your half nuts back out your cross slide shut the lathe off. then put your lathe in revers tell the number on your threading dial is lined back up with the number again. engage your half nuts back the carriage to the start of your thread and have at it.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/standard-metric-threading-lathes-153992/

Would it be possible to just open up the action enough to thread it to a 16 or 18 TPI thread?

Would it be possible to just open up the action enough to thread it to a 16 or 18 TPI thread?

Per thread 1.5 mm is .059", while 16 thread is .0625". After 10 threads, you'd be out almost 1/2 a thread! The other factor is the Howa is a pretty light weight hunting action - not much meat in the receiver ring to rethread to a larger diameter. I'd just learn to thread in metric.

Regards,
Ron

Back