How to convert tight neck to standard dimensions?

D

de1216

Have a .308 with .340 neck, Hart bbl, McMillan stock, jewell, etc.

Bought it used, do not wish to turn necks. I have experience with a .243 tight neck varmint rifle in the past. This .308 will not be a competition rifle for me.

So...... can the chamber's neck dimensions to opened by a qualified 'smith by running in a standard reamer?

Hoping not to have a large cost to be able to start shooting factory match .308 ammo.

Regards,

D.

Have a .308 with .340 neck, Hart bbl, McMillan stock, jewell, etc.

Bought it used, do not wish to turn necks. I have experience with a .243 tight neck varmint rifle in the past. This .308 will not be a competition rifle for me.

So...... can the chamber's neck dimensions to opened by a qualified 'smith by running in a standard reamer?

Hoping not to have a large cost to be able to start shooting factory match .308 ammo.

Regards,

D.

Here is a little fixture I use. I have taken tight neck 6PPC chambers out to .274.

It's just a regular chucking reamer of the correct size you want. The machined piece is reamed with the reamer, the OD is machined on a dlightbtaper to fit the large end of the chamber. It acts as a guide.

The reamer will follow the original neck, as this piece gives reamer support. The flang assists in removing the piece from the chamber.

Works great.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20118&stc=1&d=1506272090

Attachments

• IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 607
I use standard chucking reamers. Get a number for the neck length, touch the chamber, feed to the neck length number. Check with bore scope to make sure it all cleaned up and a slight polish. I hold the reamer with a short handle and I can feel it touch when I reach the end of the neck.

Here is a little fixture I use. I have taken tight neck 6PPC chambers out to .274.

It's just a regular chucking reamer of the correct size you want. The machined piece is reamed with the reamer, the OD is machined on a dlightbtaper to fit the large end of the chamber. It acts as a guide.

The reamer will follow the original neck, as this piece gives reamer support. The flang assists in removing the piece from the chamber.

Works great.

http://benchrest.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20118&stc=1&d=1506272090

Is this something that could be done by hand? I've seen some slight modifications to neck diameter and throat dimensions done that way, but it was on black powder cartridge rifles, so the barrels were .40 and .45.

Back