How to align an action....

alinwa

oft dis'd member
I have reason to experiment with some factory actions, Rem700 and Savage, and to do my project justice I must establish a centerline to set them up in my action jig. I need a means of indicating whilst I jack the action into the fixture. A search of the usual suspects (PTG, Manson, Gre'tan etc) gives me no ideas......I could kludge together something using the tapered plugs with the rod thru the middle but am not excited about it.

I think what I want is ground steel rods around 12"-14" long in diameters from .700 to .702 in .0002 or so increments.

The only other method I can come up with is to find some fairly straight sections of old barrels and turn them between centers to slip fit, take readings from the inside. Knowing how crooked bores are this doesn't make me happy neither.

Or is there some other way?

al

I think I may have overlooked the answer on Gre'tan's website :) Greg does offer parallel tapered bushes on a larger rod......I missed it the first time...

I may just be all set!

al

Al, LaBounty is some where in the Northern part of Washington. He make the rods that you are looking for.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Don Carper

Al, LaBounty is some where in the Northern part of Washington. He make the rods that you are looking for.

Let us know how your project turns out.

Don Carper

Thanks Don.... I forgot all about LaBounty.

Turns out they list .701 and .703 for sale. I'll call them tomorrow.

al

Back