how tall is a bench ?

John,
How did you get the 20 degrees ?
I have seen cut and welded couplings.
Just wondering how else.

My three legged bench uses 1 1/2" pipe set at 20 degrees and 3/4" plywood top.

It is 24" wide and 48" long.

Has a shooters notch 6" x 18".

It is about 34" tall. I am 5'9" tall and like to sit upright when shooting.

Two legs to the front one to the rear.

Cut clean threads and keep them lubed.

It is painted green.

One thing I've seen about bench heights is an individual thing as to what is comfortable. I prefer a taller bench when its a stationary bench, 4 cinder blocks high with 4" concrete top which would be a 36" tall bench as to the ones that are 3 1/2 blocks high, 32". The last match I shot I was sharing a bench with Dave Coots, Bob Hamister and Bob Hammack. I'm 5' 8", Dave is about 6' 8". I was the shortest of the group. Dave and I used the same stool height setting while the Bob's raised the stools. Just shows that bench height is totally subjective and an adjustable shooting stool can go a long way. IMO the most comfortable shooting stool is a padded drummers stool. The most easily adjustable stools are the pneumatic adjustable stools like Sinclair's sold. I know that stools aren't part of the question, but you have to have something to sit on. If there is no need for adjustability, then a folding chair works pretty well as long as the bench is the correct height for you.

By the way, civility on this board seems to have a lot to do with what time of year it is. Winter has a big effect on it when people can't be outside shooting. The harder and colder the winter, the less civil it can be.

Yeah, well, it's cold and snowy here so watch it.

It's a little cold here some days, but mainly dry. Don't think we have had any moisture of any kind to measure in at least 180 days. If we don't get some rain, I expect that you'll be seeing the Texas panhandle on the news when the wind starts picking up and it starts warming up in March through May. When the winds get up to 60 mph, a fire can spread a long ways. A few years ago we were driving to Amarillo and set my trip odometer at the first part of the fire had gone across I-40. When we got to the other side, we had gone 22 miles and that was the short side of the path the fire had burned. I don't remember how many acres had burned, but the north south distance was close to 100 miles that year.

One thing I've seen about bench heights is an individual thing as to what is comfortable. I prefer a taller bench when its a stationary bench, 4 cinder blocks high with 4" concrete top which would be a 36" tall bench as to the ones that are 3 1/2 blocks high, 32". The last match I shot I was sharing a bench with Dave Coots, Bob Hamister and Bob Hammack. I'm 5' 8", Dave is about 6' 8". I was the shortest of the group. Dave and I used the same stool height setting while the Bob's raised the stools. Just shows that bench height is totally subjective and an adjustable shooting stool can go a long way. IMO the most comfortable shooting stool is a padded drummers stool. The most easily adjustable stools are the pneumatic adjustable stools like Sinclair's sold. I know that stools aren't part of the question, but you have to have something to sit on. If there is no need for adjustability, then a folding chair works pretty well as long as the bench is the correct height for you.

By the way, civility on this board seems to have a lot to do with what time of year it is. Winter has a big effect on it when people can't be outside shooting. The harder and colder the winter, the less civil it can be.

True and sometimes we get newbies who fail to realize there is another human on the other side of that screen. They say things that they probably wouldn't say face to face. Some figure this out, some not so much.

Rick

So there seems to be a warm fuzzy spot in the 34-36 area.
I do have an adjustable drummers throne, so have that covered.
Thanks to all that provide positive input.
I did learn one more thing, where the "ignore" list is.

I've built a few..... IMO higher is better than lower. From experience, when a hot piece of brass goes down your neck and you stand up quick....

Higher is better than lower :)

Back