how tall is a bench ?

retired

so just average generic numbers ?
my range shoots prone at 600/1000
i want to build a portable heavy bench to shoot from.
2" pipe legs, screw in to plates tilted 15 degrees
1+" top ( 3/4 x2 probably)
screw in the legs and flip it over.
so how tall to the top ?
i have an adjustable stool.

No set rule

I've shot off out anywhere from 30" to 38". If this is your personal bench, make it where you are comfortable.

Table

so just average generic numbers ?
my range shoots prone at 600/1000
i want to build a portable heavy bench to shoot from.
2" pipe legs, screw in to plates tilted 15 degrees
1+" top ( 3/4 x2 probably)
screw in the legs and flip it over.
so how tall to the top ?
i have an adjustable stool.

Check out Rugged Buddy folding legs. Well built and come in 28" and 34" height. Your proposed bench won't be as portable as you AGE.

I like 34 to 36 inches. A little taller or shorter will also work. We humans are flexible. A hungry man can eat
off of a table at several heights.

I have some experience building benches, both permanent and portable. It has been my observation that if you have an adjustable stool that a short man can be more comfortable at a tall bench than a tall man will be at a short bench. The benches at two local clubs are 34" and I would not build shorter. With an appropriate stool height 36 would not be too high. A couple of years ago, I saw that a friend was struggling at a bench that was too tall for him given the height of the stools at that range. Since he does not weigh much I pointed out that one of the less expensive drum thrones would do a good job for him. He got one and it made all the difference in the world. For each shooter, with a given rear bag setup, there is an optimal top of stool to top of bench height, having a way to adjust your stool to achieve that is an advantage.

are you comfortable with the height of your counter tops at home? that might be a good height me i am 6'+, 32" height is a wee short for comfort - , but some of this depends on what you are putting atop the table. so table top plus rests equals what? too high or to low .

Seems pretty easy to me. Make it 36 inches high or greater, use it for a time or two and saw off the legs if necessary. One word of additional advice....don't build it too heavy as a too heavy moveable bench is no more stable than one that's just heavy.

My portable bench has pipe legs that screw off, and although the thought was a good one at the time, what I found out after using it for a while was that since I was hauling it with a pickup that had a tall enough shell, that I could simply leave the legs in place, haul it upside down, slide it out and walk it around by the legs on its front corners to where I wanted to use it, reversing the procedure when loading. I never pick is up. If I were to build another one for hauling the same way I would make the legs permanent and tie them together about half way to the ground. My bench has provision for four legs or three with one that adjusts for length. It weighs about 107#.

aww but no truck.
and my subaru just will not handle 30+" legs..unless you sit down.
My portable bench has pipe legs that screw off, and although the thought was a good one at the time, what I found out after using it for a while was that since I was hauling it with a pickup that had a tall enough shell, that I could simply leave the legs in place, haul it upside down, slide it out and walk it around by the legs on its front corners to where I wanted to use it, reversing the procedure when loading. I never pick is up. If I were to build another one for hauling the same way I would make the legs permanent and tie them together about half way to the ground. My bench has provision for four legs or three with one that adjusts for length. It weighs about 107#.

Table

Retired

You have been given some good advice from people that know more than you do, or so it seems........and not a word of thanks.

Last edited:
Retired

You have been given some good advice from people that know more than you do, or so it seems........and not a word of thanks.

Speaking for myself, I need no thanks for my advise, just take it for what it is worth and use it at your own risk.

If an official height is needed, it should be decreed that 35 inches is the official height. So there!

35 inches is now the official height.

Last edited:
I THOUGHT MAYBE WHEN WE WERE DONE, I WOULD THANK THOSE THAT HAD POSITIVE CONTRIBUTIONS.
IS THAT OK WITH YOU ?
We are still having a conversation, unless someone put you in charge.

Retired

Well someone is going to have to tell me what "normal" behavior is around here.
I have been a member for a couple of months.
I ask a question, all is going well less one childish reply, and then another poster
decides he is Miss Manners and wants to school me on when to say "Thank you".
Then they start calling me names. Is there a hall monitor ? Do you just ignore the children ?
Is their childish behavior what i should expect from the br crowd ?

Speaking for myself, I need no thanks for my advise, just take it for what it is worth and use it at your own risk.

If an official height is needed, it should be decreed that 35 inches is the official height. So there!

35 inches is now the official height.

Then 35 inches it is.....sound's good me.

Mort

My three legged bench uses 1 1/2" pipe set at 20 degrees and 3/4" plywood top.

It is 24" wide and 48" long.

Has a shooters notch 6" x 18".

It is about 34" tall. I am 5'9" tall and like to sit upright when shooting.

Two legs to the front one to the rear.

Cut clean threads and keep them lubed.

It is painted green.

My three legged bench uses 1 1/2" pipe set at 20 degrees and 3/4" plywood top.

It is 24" wide and 48" long.

Has a shooters notch 6" x 18".

It is about 34" tall. I am 5'9" tall and like to sit upright when shooting.

Two legs to the front one to the rear.

Cut clean threads and keep them lubed.

It is painted green.

Laughing so hard my stomach hurts ......I need to get out of here and watch the Olympics.

Mort

Last edited:
Back