How old is my Remington Rangemaster 40X ?

From Iceland

Dear Sirs.

I am wondering if anyone here could help me find out what year my trusty old 40X was made. I know the key to the riddle is the ser # number, but I am not sure it is leagal to put it on a public forum? Can somone tell me?

Thanks in advance,

Magnus Sigurdsson
ICELAND

Legal to put it on a public forum................depends on whether you bought the gun or stole it..................Ha........seriously i've never heard that one before............may be someone will give you the answer. Minus 8 in Iowa today..............Iceland temp?

Later
Dave

The weather in Iceland

Currently in Reykjavik City (Icelands capital) 48.38 Farenheit!!

Thank you for responding.

Magnus Sigurdsson
ICELAND

The 40X doesn't use a letter prefix for a date code, at least mine doesn't.

Mine was ordered in June '70 and received February '71.

#39400B

Last edited:
EDIT:

Sorry guys I thought my post with all the date info was deleted ... turns out this same question was posted in 2 spots at the same time. Dirty pool.

Mike

Last edited:
I CALLED Remington and got 2 different dates!!??

The 40X doesn't use a letter prefix for a date code, at least mine doesn't.

Mine was ordered in June '70 and received February '71.

#39400B

Howdy,
I called Remington and talked to 2 different people in some department that said they could look up serial numbers and date the rifle. I got 2 different dates!!? 1968, and 1970.:confused: The calls were seperated over a number of months, and I was asking about a few different rifles at the time. The second guy could not explain the discrepancy.

The serial number is in the 34,000 range. It is a 40xb. The left hand side of the barrel in front of the reciever only has 7.62 Nato and a symbol that looks like a heart, with sort of a diamond top to it.

When I was in the Army, I worked with a sniper who had in some capacity worked with Remington during the development of the M24 Sniper rifle. He knew people in the custom shop at the time. He told me his 40x was a 37,000 serial number rifle from 1967. I am absolutely certain of the info he told me, and he was not the sort to have missed details. Unless he had been misinformed back then.............but I doubt it.

When would a 34,000 serial number 40x have been made? Even using the 1968 date, I don't think they produced 5,000 in 2 years. Then there is that 37,000 1967 info.

Anyone else KNOW, like Vickie, when their rifle was made?

Thanks!

Greg

Vickie!

Legal or not ..The serial number of my 6mm Remington 40 X rifle is : 32611B. It has a chrome moly barrel and a wonderful walnut stock with a "barrel tuner built in" in the front of the stock.
I have had 3 40 XB´s and 2 40 XBR´s and none of them comes even close to my old 40X.

Greg, when dad ordered his he was told the custom shop only built 7-10 a week so about 350-500 a year for a total of approx.20,000 in the last 45 years.

First digits in a serial number don't always mean total production numbers.

So mine being a '70 vintage at 39,000 would back up the 37,000 as a '67

The one I have cost 269.95+10.86 sales tax( I still have the receipt)

After dad wrote the check mom told him he had to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a year.......lol

Back