how often do you clean your 22cal rim fire

Y

YIPPER

after shooting black powder rifles for years and developing M.S . i 'm returning back to 22cal rimfire bench rest. i'm wondering how often do you fellas clean your 22 cal rim fires, after matches or when needed? just wondering............yipper

Last edited by a moderator:
Most competition shooters clean the barrel after every card. Once you start asking about detail cleaning of the other parts you will get answers anywhere between never and every few cards. Each part is treated a bit differently. For me, I hose triggers out with lighter fluid maybe once a season. Bolt comes apart after every match for one particular rifle. Some of my rifles have never had the bolt apart, including a 1951 Remington 37. I clean the inside of the tuner when I think about it, not nearly as often as some other guys do.

So to precisely answer your question, it depends. Put ten shooters together and you will get at least a dozen cleaning opinions. bob

Depends:

The older and more sandblasted barrels get, the more and more vigorously they need to be cleaned, from my experience. I just took off a barrel that was half way through it's 6th season and it needed de-leading after every match and to be cleaned after every card, to be competitive.

From my experience, as barrels age, the x count will fall off abruptly after 50 shots or so. They never shoot better than they do right after they are cleaned to where there is no black on a patch and a few foulers shot through them. Some try to play the leaving some fouling in, I guess to save on ammo but one thing is for sure, one can duplicate the results from Spotlessly clean, the rest is guesswork.

I am down to using a Lewis Lead Remover type device in my Sporter to keep it shooting somewhat competitively but it is about to get a new Ratchet, as soon as I can cut a crown that suits me.

Pete

Last edited:
Back