How many ranges near where you live?

B

bjld

Hi all

I had an interesting chat with the Secretary of my state Rifle Association a couple of weeks ago about the numbers of firearms enthusiasts and rifle ranges in Australia and the US.

He was of the opinion that although the population in the US was much higher than here the proportion of the population interested in shooting was similar in both countries.

He went on to say that there were far fewer ranges longer than 200 yards in the US than in Australia.

According to the South Australian Rifle Association (SARA) web page http://www.riflesa.asn.au/ there are 28 rifle ranges (29 including Broken Hill) in the state of 1.6 million people where I live.

Most of these ranges go back to 800 or 900 yards or further for full bore and f-class shooting.

I haven't included ranges associated with SSAA, so the total count of ranges is even higher.

There are two ranges longer than 1000 yards less than an hour's drive from where I live so I feel a little spoiled for choice and both hold 1000 yard benchrest events as sanctioned in the NRAA rule book.

What's it like where you're at?

Ben

In western Florida: ranges where you can legally shoot: a couple. Ranges that even approach my home range, Riverbend, in Georgia: zero.

If you get used to one of the very best facilities in the nation, it's downhill from there.

Were I Australian I suppose I would call where I live the "Outback". My house is remote well back in the hills of Pennsylvania and I can shoot on my own land out to 411 yards with no neighbors near enough to throw a tantrum over my shooting. It works for me.

I live in Wisconsin and we have at least three 600 yard ranges and one in Lodi, that goes out to 1,200 yards--very, very nice range.

Chip

I've attached the photo from the SARA website of the Lower Light Range taken from the 800 metre range.

There's two guys from my club in the picture: Clive, who's gotta be over 90, is shooting and Phil is scoring.

Membership continues to grow thanks to f-class and decent folks to shoot with.

I reckon this range has to be one of the best in Australia, if not the world, and that's gotta impress newcomers.

Lower Light Range SA.jpg

I live in Pennsylvania and where I'm at, there are a tremendous number of ranges available, but most are 300 yards or less. Still, there's several 1000 yard ranges that hold matches regularly, and a number that hold 600 yard matches as well. I'm talking about ranges where a organized crew holds matches of some sort with rifles. I'm not sure I could think of how many there are where you can simply go shoot or sight a rifle in. And then for other disciplines like pistol or shotgun, etc. Countless more. But, PA is one of the more populous states, top 10 anyway. But not so populous that there is no room.

Over there, you have the best of both worlds too because you're always a hop-skip and a jump from the interior. So finding room for a big range isn't a problem at all. Here, big ranges are being crowded upon all the time.

Some of the 1000 yard guys down under have posted pics of several of the ranges they shoot at, and make no mistake, they look like some very nice facilities. Just consider yourself fortunate to have even one range to shoot at. Many folks don't have that many.

http://wrgunclub.webs.com/rifle.htm This is the smallest of the Tri-City gun clubs

http://www.kettlefootgunclub.org/ This club has a new (2005) 30 bench centerfire range out to 300 yards, a new (2008) 60 bench rimfire range, 4 trap fields, 4 skeet fields, 20 stand bullseye pistol range, 7 IDPA lanes, 5-stand clays, 20 machine sporting clays, fixed and moving target archery, etc.

http://www.unakarodandgun.com/ This club has 4trap & skeet combo fields, and 20 bench rifle range (NBRSA affiliated), etc.

http://cherokeerodandgunclub.com/ This club has several nice ranges, some pictured on web site.

All the above shoot some to many sanctions NBRSA IR 50/50, ARA, ATA, NSCA, NSSA, IDPA, etc.

All these clubs are located within 25 minutes of my home. I currently am a member at #2 and #4 above. In addition there are 4 other nice private, covered bench ranges, where I can shoot, one to 600 yards, the others to 200 yards. Problem is I need more powder and bullets.

In western Florida: ranges where you can legally shoot: a couple. Ranges that even approach my home range, Riverbend, in Georgia: zero.

If you get used to one of the very best facilities in the nation, it's downhill from there.

Tom, there is a new facility outside of Blakely in sw Ga. My first trip there was today shooting 1k. Very nice. Check it out at www.marksmanshipacademy.com (watch the video)The monthly schedule is posted on the website. Log cabins for rent on the property to stay in. There has been some big money invested here and would be quite a bit closer to you than riverbend.

Near where I live there are two long established members only ranges (except for matches), one holds BR and high power (fullbore) matches, blackpowder cartridge, and pistol matches, the other some smallbore silhouette and "cowboy action" shoots. There's also a new outdoor range that opened last spring and a new indoor range/gun store that I know very little about that are pretty close. The indoor range allows public shooters for a fee, but I don't know about the outdoor range. The first two ranges also have limited memberships so unless someone dies or moves away it's hard to get into them.

well i'm in the middle of colorado.
byers, colorado rifle club is 1 hr away...1000yd
my home club is 10 min and does stop at 200 yds...aurora gun club
i shoot at a private club as a guest 30 min away 300 yds
i pass another club going there that is 1200 yds.
out in baily is the 600yd range its a bit over an hour away.
south of me is the nra range at raton...two hours atleast 1000yds...
at that is just off the top of my head......
mike in co

Over there, you have the best of both worlds too because you're always a hop-skip and a jump from the interior. So finding room for a big range isn't a problem at all. Here, big ranges are being crowded upon all the time.
Some of the 1000 yard guys down under have posted pics of several of the ranges they shoot at, and make no mistake, they look like some very nice facilities. Just consider yourself fortunate to have even one range to shoot at. Many folks don't have that many.

Hi 4Mesh
I got these numbers out of Wikipedia so they must be true...
There's 1.6 million people in the 400,000 square miles of South Australia.
That's 4 people per square mile, but... 1.2 million of us live in the capital city Adelaide.
So outside Adelaide it's more like 400,000 people in 400,000 square miles... Leaves a LOT of space for rifle ranges.
Sounds like there's a lot of ranges in Colorado. I haven't checked Wikipedia, but is there a lot of space there too?
Still, 28 full bore ranges for 1.6 million people leaves me feeling spoiled for choice. I've only competed at 5 of them.
Regards
Ben

South Florida has too many people to have many big ranges , there is 2 300 yard one public one private 2 100 yard one private one public one 600 yard nra members only(trying to get permits to make it 1200) and 7 indoor, both public ranges have trap and skeet as well as archery almost left off the strangest 1 full fire combat range (machine guns) members or by the hour no rentals

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

I had an interesting chat with the Secretary of my state Rifle Association a couple of weeks ago about the numbers of firearms enthusiasts and rifle ranges in Australia and the US.

He was of the opinion that although the population in the US was much higher than here the proportion of the population interested in shooting was similar in both countries.

He went on to say that there were far fewer ranges longer than 200 yards in the US than in Australia.

According to the South Australian Rifle Association (SARA) web page http://www.riflesa.asn.au/ there are 28 rifle ranges (29 including Broken Hill) in the state of 1.6 million people where I live.

Most of these ranges go back to 800 or 900 yards or further for full bore and f-class shooting.

I haven't included ranges associated with SSAA, so the total count of ranges is even higher.

There are two ranges longer than 1000 yards less than an hour's drive from where I live so I feel a little spoiled for choice and both hold 1000 yard benchrest events as sanctioned in the NRAA rule book.

What's it like where you're at?

Ben

Local ranges where I can shoot 1000yd BR or F Class within 3 or so Hrs drive
Cessnock, Gosford, Hornsby, Malaba (Sydney), Hilltop, Aberdeen (?), Wingham, Port Maquarie, Spring Ridge, Dubbo/Narromine, Coonabarabran,Tamworth

Another hour on top of that and I,m at Bathurst, Katoomba,Lithgow,Canberra, Armidale, Gloster,Kempsey. I think Ive left one or two out.
If I want to go 5 hours, maybe another 10 ranges.

Last edited:
Back