How many inch pounds of torque do you use on your best shooting rifle?

center22

Assuming your shooting RFBR competitively and have a properly bedded rifle ... How many IP (inch pounds) of torque do you use on each action screw, which allows the most consistent accuracy in your best shooting rifle? Listing the action, stock and barrel manufacturer would be appreciated. Thanks, John

My most competitive rifle to date, sports a 10X XIII two lug action, Stith stock and a Mullerworks 4 groove MI barrel. The stock and action have been modified to utilize three action screws, and have Devcon w/steel bedding with 5/8" aluminum pillars. I have found "22 inch pounds" pressure on each screw works best for consistent accuracy in this rifle.

Last edited:
It would seem, that if the bedding was proper, any tightness under the point of damage would be just fine. I know that's not right but I don't know why. I guess that's the reason some folks use glue.

One of my rifles like 20 front and 25 rear and the other one likes 30 rear and 35 front

Read on another site that the Lavonia "PSL" winning rifle "Rooster" (Turbo-O, Pippin, Shilen Octagon) uses 27 IP front and 22 IP rear.

How does the variation Manafest itself?

Does the differing torque values shrink your group size?

Thanks,

Pete

Back