How important is action in barrel blocked rifle?

rooshooter

I am starting to think about my next long range rifle project which will be for F class standard in 308 cal. I want to try a barrel bedding blocked rifle.I didnt want to spend huge amounts where possible so I am thinking of using a cheaper target action like an Omark or similar. With a barrel block hanging onto the barrel and being bedded to the stock, will there be much handicap in using an action like an Omark? Any tips on barrel blocking a 308 into a wooden fullbore stock with a 30-34" barrel?

Yes

And as full disclosure, I have no fiscal interests of any nature in this but I do own three of these blocks. These are the improved versions of the 2003 Iowa LG vented blocks that won the Natl Championships so they do shoot and function at the top levels. I have one in a Joel Russo laminate stock that is an improved A-5 variant in that the fore end is designed for a Seb REst. I have another in a prototype Kevlar-aluminum tac stock. They are dead simple to bond to the stock as that is the intent and function, The action and barrel free float. Simple, cost effective and proven accuracy enhancer. Send me pm and I will give you the e-mail of the machinist. five smiley rating: Overbore

how much does it weigh??

Could u post a pic...sounds like what I need for a Light Gun project....does it have provision for bolting into the stock ..or just glue??thank you ...Roger

?????

I didnt want to spend huge amounts where possible so I am thinking of using a cheaper target action like an Omark or similar. will there be much handicap in using an action like an Omark?

I didn't miss the opportunity to buy an Omark rifle for $100. For my type of shooting the rifle was accurate enough 20mm/100M, but the wooden stock was responsible for a constant change of point of impact with the change of weather.

An one side splitted 52x52x65mm block from P20 (a refined 4140) to clamp the original barrel with three standard M8x1.25 bolts solved the problem forever.

I don't shoot in competitions so the weight is not a problem. I didn't want to spend any time or money on a $100 rifle, but to make the block and modify the forearm was worth it.

Shoot better
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be getting the machining done by a local machinist so I will have some input in the design. The stock wont be very wide, so I cant make the block too wide. I will be looking at pictures of barrel blocked rifles to get ideas on shape, size, mounting/clamping methods etc
So I take it that I wont need a big bucks Kelbly action and its big bedding surface if I go to a bedding block, that an Omark will be fine.

Rooshooter

Have your machinist bore your hole then have him slit the block on one side of the hole.By doing it that way you can use 2-3 holes drilled and tapped on the bottom to hold it into the stock.You only need a 1/8 inch of aluminum on three sides of the barrel so with a 1.250 barrel a block 1.500 inches wide is plenty big enough.I have pictures if you need them but I can't post them here.Send me an e-mail and I can attach them and return it.
Lynn

Back