How I make Reloading Dies.

Thank you Butch, an honor.
I feel a little ambivalent, when you say professional, hehe. Because I know what I say, and act like ...... can be ..... a little different.
Especially regarding the Marlin video. Why not clip the video together, and act like a serious guy? That was possible, and it would have been much shorter!
But no, I don`t think so. It was made during the easter 2012. And me and my son, had a lot of fun. He bet I did not dear to make it public.....
And he was almost right.... 11/2 year, and nearly buried in the "delete department". Then he asked, did you ever publish it?(he probably thought of it, while filming another project)? My reply was: Working on it, And I had to clip it together(bored to look @ my face, I will tell you). And now, you know the story.

But the youtube channel needed a name: The league of extraordinary gunsmiths, it is.
Wow, he thinks, he is a "hot shot"?
But actually, it is meant the opposite, extraordinary, not necessary meaning good.

What reason to throw it out there?
There may be others, thinking, I have a problem. What to do? It may help? And then, I am satisfied.

Don`t put a dime on me, I will lie and brag for an hour, hehe.

And some of you may think: He has constipation of the mind, an diarrhea of the mouth(if that is an american saying?), heeh

Best regards

Thank you Butch, an honor.
I feel a little ambivalent, when you say professional, hehe. Because I know what I say, and act like ...... can be ..... a little different.
Especially regarding the Marlin video. Why not clip the video together, and act like a serious guy? That was possible, and it would have been much shorter!
But no, I don`t think so. It was made during the easter 2012. And me and my son, had a lot of fun. He bet I did not dear to make it public.....
And he was almost right.... 11/2 year, and nearly buried in the "delete department". Then he asked, did you ever publish it?(he probably thought of it, while filming another project)? My reply was: Working on it, And I had to clip it together(bored to look @ my face, I will tell you). And now, you know the story.

But the youtube channel needed a name: The league of extraordinary gunsmiths, it is.
Wow, he thinks, he is a "hot shot"?
But actually, it is meant the opposite, extraordinary, not necessary meaning good.

What reason to throw it out there?
There may be others, thinking, I have a problem. What to do? It may help? And then, I am satisfied.

Don`t put a dime on me, I will lie and brag for an hour, hehe.

And some of you may think: He has constipation of the mind, an diarrhea of the mouth(if that is an american saying?), heeh

Best regards

I thought the videos were great all-around.

I have been making dies, but I am not very good at it.
1/3 of my dies are useful, and the rest are scrap.
I have a PM1236 lathe with DRO.
With a drills and a boring bar, I can make some internal shapes in a piece of 7/8-14 threaded rod.
I buy a lot of 7/8-14 threaded rod.

Right now I can only get one good angle.
That means I can get the shoulder and the neck, or just some of the sides of the case.
I have ordered another small compound to hack up and mount on my tool post.
I hope to get up to two angles.

The marked angles on the compound are not accurate enough. I need to do measure rise and run and calculate the inverse tangent.

Attachments

• 25-20 dies .3125, .298. .280, .276, .274, FL with .266 and home made M die at .263 bell  4-22-20.jpg
    25-20 dies .3125, .298. .280, .276, .274, FL with .266 and home made M die at .263 bell 4-22-20.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 479
I am only half way through, the videos, great learner for me.
Many thanks
Jim

I`m glad, JRB.

Att: Clark.
Like the idea, to hook up another small compound, on the tool post.....

Another thing you can do: (right/left side, seen from the tailstock end)
Turn a rod, snug fit in the neck. Mount it in the tailstock. Slide case on. Grab the base of the case with the chuck.
Hook a dial indicator onto the compound.
Adjust so the indicator read zero, along the body of the case(left side).
A ground lathe bit(appr shoulder angle) adjusted to follow the shoulder angle of the case(left side of case).

Your threaded rod, into the chuck. Bore less than shoulder, appr depth.
Now bore out the die, with your compound setting. YOU MUST RUN THE MACHINE IN REVERSE, AND THE LATHE BIT ON RIGHT SIDE.

Bore neck, and round the corners slightly.

Best regards

Back