How do you stop your scope from fogging up?

rain-x anti fog

Rain-x anti fog is available at auto parts stores and even keeps the bathroom mirror fog free after a long hot shower. Unbelievable stuff.
Bryan

Snorklers use this in Hawaii... Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Just apply a thin coat to the lens and let it dry to a haze. Then wipe it off with a lens cloth. Oh, it HAS to be Johnson's baby shampoo, the other brands don't seem to work. Happy scoping.

I use Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes with Rainguard. I know that this doesn't solve the problem with your Zeiss but you may want to take a look at the latest scopes from Bushnell, I have a 4200 6-24 with side focus that optic wise I will put up against anyones scope. As of March 2008 they have a 6500 series (6-30 magnification) and if they are as good as the 4200 series they will be the new standard for the dollar value.

Drover, due to the very poor warranty service I have had in Australia with my previous 4200 series scopes, I will not buy another Bushnell or Tasco scope. I have decided that I will try using spit on the lenses as I dont want to risk the lenses of my good scopes with other unknown chemicals.

I have read quite a few comments on Bushnell's poor warranty service on various sites but have never experienced it myself. My only use of their warranty service was when I sent in a pair of garage sale purchased binoculars that needed repair they promptly replaced them with a new pair, so in my limited experience I was satisfied.

I have been running B&L 3000 & 4000 and Bushnell Elite 3200 & 4200 series scopes for the last 10 years and have yet to have one fail. I also have a dozen or so Leupold varmint and competition scopes so I am not locked into any one manufacturer, rather I just feel that at this point Bushnell has some real advantages considering pricing and features, particularly when it comes to the rainguard and their pricing.
If I someday have a repair issue then my opinon of them may change but I have had repair issues with Leupold and I still use them.

Fog Zero. I sell this at my store,it works,I use it on all my optics as well as my eye glasses. Safe for coated lenses and plastics.
Beware of raingaurd and similar products as they contian strong solvents.
Web site is www.fogzero,com.
Chuck.

Drover, the poor warranty service I have had from Bushnell has been here in Australia, where Tasco does their warranty work. I have spoken to a few people here who have said forget about sending any sort of (Tasco or Bushnell) warranty work to Tasco in Australia. It might be different in USA.

Chuck Furniss, this fog zero looks like something to try. I dont know if I will put it on the lense of my Zeiss scopes or my new Swarovski Z6i. I will trial it on some of my lesser scopes, but would be interested to here from Zeiss or Swaro if they condemn or condone it on their coatings.

Shoerooter, i would have thought the only problem you would be having with scopes down your way would be all that coal dust coating the lenses:D.
A simple answer to your fogging problems is to just move on back to North Queensland:cool:
How did that bolt work out in your FS rifle?
Take care.
Tony Z.

Last edited:
Tony, the bolt worked out well. Thanks for that.
I moved down here as I wanted to get away from the rain and I heard there was a drought down here. It has done nothing but rain since I moved here.

Back