How do you pick a hunting bullet

nmibex

I’m having a 280 AI made for hunting that should be ready in a couple of months. I have Nosler brass, Hornady 139 and 154 grain Interbond bullets and plan to purchase some 160 grain Nosler Accubond bullets. My thought is to work up to 95% max load and shoot 3 - 3 shot groups with each bullet. I’ll then continue load development with the bullet that produces the best group. Suggestions welcom

"How do you pick a hunting bullet"

The one thats reasonably accurate, doesnt let the animal go far, and leaves the most meat to eat. That being said, you wont go wrong with the accubond. Used it on two continents and its my bullet of choice on everything EXCEPT thick skinned dangerous game. Cant speak for the hornandys.

Heavier and slower, Eat closer to the hole.

Ethan

Woodleigh Weld Core, Swift A Frames both bonded expand over a wider range with better terminal performance than a monolithic bullet MHO......Don't leave home without'em

Some questions you should ask yourself is:

What are you going to hunt?
Close range or medium to long range?
Which is more important; pinpoint accuracy or bullet performance. Before I get flamed, yes accuracy is paramount, but a Nosler partition may not produce the best groups vs a ballistic tip...

Different bullets for different applications on different game.

Points to ponder as there is no one bullet that does it all.......

Let us know and we can better help...

Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Rod, I am primarily interested in long range. I'll hunt barbary sheep, deer and maybe elk if I don't get drawn for the archery season. The areas I hunt here in New Mexico for all three are fairly open with long range shots common. The rifle is being built with a Borden action and Broughton barrel.

Thanks for you input.

Dick

Holy Schmidt Dick,

Your going top shelf and in a serious way, congratulations!

Given that info I'd say your right on track. I would be looking at the Accubond & Interbond too, along with the Sirocco. But would definantly be looking hard at the tried and true North American Big Game Confidence bullet, the160gr Partition.

Personally for that style & size of game, my choice is the Partition.. As previously stated in other posts, there are other great bullets. Stick with a couple of those named and go to work and see what your rifle likes. Performance and confidence are priorities on my list for a hunt like that...

Keep us informed.

Rod

The 280AI is a 600yd cartridge at best.

The choice is easy, Barnes TTSX, there is no downside. 150gr TTSX has a BC of .450 and will perform on game thru the entire range from 50 to 600yds. With pinpoint accuracy.

If price is an object make up practice rounds using the Sierra Match King 150, similar BC and about the same accuracy potential. Just do NOT use the Match King for hunting.

al

"I am primarily interested in long range. I'll hunt barbary sheep, deer and maybe elk if I don't get drawn for the archery season. The areas I hunt here in New Mexico for all three are fairly open with long range shots common. The rifle is being built with a Borden action and Broughton barrel."

Rod and Al have good points, the 280 even with heavy bullets isnt going to have excess horspower on elk at medium to long ranges. More than potent on the sheep and deer, IMO

The old standby is the partition, was for me for alot of years. then the accubond has pretty much replaced it in my rifles of 338 and smaller.

I cant speak of the TTSX,Ihave heard good things.If you soak some thick phone books in water, and put them out at the distance you think youll be shooting, and at ranges you sight in at, youll find the one YOU will have the most confidence in. And that is worth ALOT in my book. Jelous of your sheep hunt :)

Hi,
Bullet choice is a very personal thing and seems to stir people up. I have shot plenty of deer, probably nearer 100 than 50 and a lot with Hornady A max or Nosler BT. Have never had an issue. I load barnes TTSX for a friend in 30-06 and they shoot really well. The TTSX are more expensive and if you want to do a lot of paper long range practice this may be a consideration. Bullet placement is key but I would be happy with any of the above bullets. I would certainly consider Nosler Accubond for Elk and generally I think Nosler make a better bullet than Hornady. I have had some bullets in a box from Hornady missing the ballistic tip?!

Cheers Rich.K

Al, thanks for the input. I'll give the TTSX a shot. I was looking at the Barnes site and they said their bullets do better seated of the lands. Do you seat yours off the lands and if so, how far (what do you think is a good starting point)?

Highseas, barbary sheep is a draw hunt in New Mexico. License are $380 for non-residents. The Unit 29 and 30 hunt has some pretty rough terrain and I think holds bigger sheep. The unit 31 - 37 hunt has easier terrain with a lot of private and public land. There are some large ranches that sell sheep hunts. There have been a few years hunting that I haven't seen a sheep but it's a good reason to get out of the house in February. The application deadline is March 28 and you can apply online.

Rod, I'll post how this works out.

Thanks all

I have loaded the TTSX 20 thou off the lands and they have worked well. Tried a little closer but there was magazine ramp loading issues.

Cheers Rich.K

Al, thanks for the input. I'll give the TTSX a shot. I was looking at the Barnes site and they said their bullets do better seated of the lands. Do you seat yours off the lands and if so, how far (what do you think is a good starting point)?

Highseas, barbary sheep is a draw hunt in New Mexico. License are $380 for non-residents. The Unit 29 and 30 hunt has some pretty rough terrain and I think holds bigger sheep. The unit 31 - 37 hunt has easier terrain with a lot of private and public land. There are some large ranches that sell sheep hunts. There have been a few years hunting that I haven't seen a sheep but it's a good reason to get out of the house in February. The application deadline is March 28 and you can apply online.

Rod, I'll post how this works out.

Thanks all

I don't have an opinion on "where" it'll shoot. Rifles are individual entities. I'd load as long as the mag will allow and go to work on velocity/primers etc.

There are guides in AK and Africa going to a "Barnes only" policy! They are that good.

al

A friend has been to Africa twice. He used a .458 Lott for dangerous game, and a 7mm WSM loaded with 175 gr. SMKs for everything else, all one shot kills.

huntin bullet

Ive had good luck with Hornady interbonds 180s in my 300 win. mag will put the hurt on whitetails I wouldnt be afraid of a 280 loaded with whatever .284s Hornady makes in a interbond. Theyed kill any billy goat.

"And here is another SMK recovered from a cow moose I killed at 982 yards"

GG

A moose at 982? and a cow? Uh why? you handicapped? or did you just want those SMK s to slow down so they wouldnt come apart :D

Ethan

GG

I was going to edit that post, but figured I better appoligise first. After rereading it, its way to flippant and Im way too much of a smart ass.

Ethan

Always enjoyed reading your and UncleB's hunting posts,thanks for sharing

lots of good bullets

As a full time big game hunting guide, I get to see LOTS of animals shot with lots of calibers and lots of different bullets. There are many bullets out there that work just as well as the Barnes bullets. I don't know of any better when you limit your range to, say, 500 yds but several are as good.

I had one hunter last year that used 210 TTSX in his 338-378 WBY. He wounded his bull three times and finished it off the next DAY with a 180 grain TTSX from his 300 WBY. We found the 180 but none of the 210s.

I had others that used Accubonds, Partitions and TBBC. I had one hunter that used 180 grain Remington corelokts on a hunt that took 18 years to draw the tag. I told him it would work fine and it did.

I quit using Barnes bullets when they went away from the flat base as I couldn't get any of them to shoot in my hunting rifles. I hear they are much better now but I mostly use Bergers for my own hunting. They actually work extremely well.

I mostly hunt coues whitetail for myself and they are only 90-100 lbs so not much of a challenge for most bullets. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on sheep if I thought I would be shooting longer than 300 yds. If I expected to shoot closer, I would give no consideration to the ballistic profile of the bullet- it matters very little at those ranges. Terminal performance is far more of an issue.

The worst bullets I have seen used are the High-shok bullets that Federal used to load (don't know if they still do) I have had many bad experiences with them; the worst being an Oryx hunt I guided on the WSMR in New Mexico. It took 10 shots to kill this bull. Many of the bullets exploded on the impact sight and made a mess. The rifle was a 7mm Rem Mag.

Since you are building such a nice rifle, obviously intent on having accuracy being of utmost importance, I would use accurate bullets. The orange box Bergers are well proven game getters. My second choice would be Accubonds. I'll bet the 175 SMKs will work quite well too if you have a 9 twist barrel.

Best of luck

Back