Hornady's New 17 Hornet

My 17 Ackley Hornet (3880 fps with 20 gr V-Max)

Here is some info on my 17 Ackley Hornet. I really like the caliber for ground squirrel control. It is quite accurate in my Contender Carbine with a custom SS barrel from Bullberry. Here is some info on it: http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm#Forming_17
I will be very interested in the new ammo for the 17 Hornet. I might have to run the loaded ammo through my trim die if it doesn't fit in my chamber. Carefully, that is.
Good Hunting... from Varmint Al
coyotel.gif

Varmit Al, that's decent veocity. What BBL length 18-20"? (Random Shots didn't specify BBL length).I haven't seen the release date yet ,just that it's to be released.

Varmit Al, that's decent veocity. What BBL length 18-20"? (Random Shots didn't specify BBL length).I haven't seen the release date yet ,just that it's to be released.

17ahl.jpg

The barrel length is 22". It is a full bull barrel. I use the V-Max 20 gr moly coated bullets and 12.2 gr of AA-1680. I only neck size the brass and have had no case head separations. Some of the brass has been loaded 5 or 6 times. It is important to use the Rem 7.5 small rifle primers. Other brands tend to crater.
coyotel.gif

I e-mailed Hornady and they said all of there 2012 products will be released in November. Just some FYI:)

actually this was build as a wildcat over 50 years ago. will it be better then the current offerings? depends on what you are looking for. any good .222 or .223 will do it all only better. current stats show the round out to 400 yards with a mv of some 3,650 fps. this is great marketing but nothing else. i currently have a custom .17 remington and with a 25 grain bullet leaving the barrel at 4,200 fps it still is not a 400 yard round. it seems like a good round for a new gun from ruger or a host of others and just by my nature i will buy one just to see if i can make it shoot well. it will keep my ruger collection up to date. as far as outdating the current rimfire rounds from the .22 wmr thru the .17hmr each will have a place even after this new round is available. currently i am unable to find one... just a few thoughts from an old reloader / powder burner

Info from Hornady

I e-mailed Hornady earlier in the week and asked them if any commerical (non-custom) rifles were chambered for the .17 Hornet and currently available on the market. Hornady answered that Savage has one. I can't find any mention of this on the Savage Website. Anyone else have current info?

Wonder if you will be able to buy one by the end of 2012??

Im waiting for the Browning 1911-22-for the anniversary of Browning 1911. None anywhere I checked-yet. 1911+100 will soon be gone.

Wonder if you will be able to buy one by the end of 2012??

Im waiting for the Browning 1911-22-for the anniversary of Browning 1911. None anywhere I checked-yet. 1911+100 will soon be gone.

I have had several in stock due to the fact that they were ordered at the shot show.
Finding a Browning medallion dealer in your area would be your best bet,

Chuck.

I asked at Jays here in N Mi-they have/had one with the kinife in a fancy wooden box for $1200. Said they have then 'on order'. Have no idea when they will come in. They are a 2 store outlet-biggest in the area.

I asked at Bass Pro-near Knoxville, Tn last week. Have not been able to get any.

Madellion dealers, I dont know but would think so.

i have tried to find a rifle but there isnt any yet no one even seems to know were thay will come from

I owned and shot a 17 AH in a Cooper for a number of years. Pretty accurate in light winds (1/2 to 1 MOA) with careful reloads. Definitely NOT a coyote cartridge past 100 yds. Great for prairie dogs and woodchucks. No issues with brass or reloading but used Wilson hand dies only. Very limited in bullet size due to small case capacity. My 17MIV was better choice for longer range or heavier bullets with 4000 FPS possible and better accuracy. Still a marginal choice for coyotes. Way better than HMR's if you reload.

I had a 17 Ackley Bee built in 1964 and have been shooting that caliber ever since. It is a deadly caliber out to 200 yards and not much chance of a ricochet.

I believe Savage is making the rifle-Model 25.. Check their website.

I asked at the shop last week but didnt have one, yet.

Neither did they have a Browning 1911-22 -Centennial edition, yet and 2011 is long since gone.

Think I read Ruger has cut off orders-cant make em fast enough. You dont hear about that on nat news. Why??

17-hornet-to-17-ackley-hornet.jpg

Left to right:
17 Hornet 20 gr V-Max factory ammo
17 Hornet fire formed in my 17 Ackley Hornet chamber
17 Ackley Hornet made from 22 Hornet brass
17 Ackley Hornet V-Max 20 gr moly with 12.2 gr AA-1680 MV=3880 fps

Of course the 17 Hornet would not chamber in my 17 Ackley Hornet Contender Carbine barrel. The body taper was slightly less than the 17 AH. So I took my 22 Ackley Hornet FL die and slightly reduced the body diameter, from the shoulder back to a approximately a half inch, so it would chamber with a light force. The neck of the fire formed 17 AH is about 1/8" short but I can live with that. The POI of the factory ammo was essentially the same as my original ammo.

The fireforming accuracy is very good and was very effective on the ground squirrel control on a near by cattle ranch. I am quite happy with the new 17 Hornet in my 17 AH Contender Carbine.

coyotel.gif

We are getting 3 shot groups in the 2's with factory 17 Hornet ammo. I like this round.

After boresighting the first shot went wide. Corrected then ran 3 for group.

img4433q.jpg

img4429z.jpg

img4467e.jpg

Here's some additional info for those of you wondering about the new ammo in an Ackley Chamber.

An unfired case is nominally 1.340" long. When fired in a Cooper Ackley it forms perfectly and ends up 1.338" long. The factory ammo chambered easily with no resizing needed. Velocity was 3500, accuracy was 1/2" from a makeshift rest set-up.

Ammo seems to be readily available in the pipeline now.

Hope this helps!

Back