Hornady v max bullet

S

spfld

Anyone have experience with Hornady v max 110 grain in 270 caliber? Good or bad, or is there a better bullet in that weight range to look at.

If you're looking for a varmint bullet they'd likely be good, for deer or antelope they'd likely cause too much damage to meat unless you're really lucky or good. I've used them in .22 and 6 mm and they blow up on contact, so they might lead to a long day of tracking for game.

Haven't tried that one but the 75gr in my 6br blows up on impact sending pieces ever where. Don't use it on anything you don't want destroyed.

Only intended use is woodchucks and paper punching. I have a supply of 130 gr. sst's for larger game. Was concerned about the accuracy potential of the v max. They do have a very slick shape and look like they might have extended range potential say out to 500/600 yds possibly a little further especially on a day with calm wind. I am going to get a box of them and see how it goes. I have a 270 AI 98 mauser with a 26" Douglas XX light varmint weight barrel and it stays close to 1/2" @ 100 yds. with the 130 sst hornady's. I do have other rifles but have always had an interest in the .270 and want to see just how "all purpose" I can get with it. I am getting about 150 fps average over standard .270 velocities with the AI version with normal case life.

Realy depends what you want to do with them.
Yes i have shot/played with them in my .270 and i found i dont have any purpose for them and have a box laying around here somewhere.
what i rember is i tryed to find the max load and pushed them into the red(i like to call it) and the velocity was not that great or was accuracy.
i think i was getting@ 3,400FPS with fair groups.
my thing was i have pushed 130's to a honest 3,200FPS and here in the last few years have been pushing a berger 150 VLD to a honest 3,000 FPS MV.
so if you have a ballistic's program you will see nothing shoot as flat as that high BC 150 VLD and groups have been sub 1/2 moa at 100yds and have shot some
good groups on steel plates out to 600yds with them. so i have not found a nich for the 110 vmax. i have no use for them in the .270.
i would say if you wanted a reduced short range varmit load,say a mild 200 yrd load they would be a good choice but in my (OPIOION ONLY) anything more than that you
should take a look at the highest BC bullet you get in the .270 and that is the berger 150 VLD.

Thanks mark-x, do you have a 1 in 10" twist rate? Mine is 1 in 10" and wonder if it will stabilize a long bullet like the bergers? I see the 1-8" twists are becoming more popular for the guys who care to shoot the vld bullets.
I fully appreciate what you're saying about bc. If I get a box of the 110's the accuracy will tell if I persue this idea any further. No doubt the Berger bullets are more accurate than most others.

Yea 1-10 twist, im shooting a kimber 8400 classic 24" sporter barrel.its a early one with a regular sporter weight barrel.
i dont think they make them any more,i think the only ones they make now are the light weight ones but i could be wrong.
yea the 110's bleed the speed off too fast to be any good at long range,thats why i say if you wanted a reduced load for close
range to save on barrel & shoulder,i think they are great. berger recomends the 10 twist for that .150 VLD.

Mark-x, I have been doing some price checking on the Bergers and most internet outlets are in the $40/100 range but I see Wideners have a $32.05 price on them but they are currently out of stock and will bet when they re-stock the price will go up. I'll have to go into stealth mode and stay under the wife's radar for buying the Bergers! LOL!! Also have you tried the 140's & 130's Berger makes? You made a fine choice with your Kimber. I had a 30-06 Kimber a long time ago but traded it. VERY sorry I did that. Very few load combinations it did not do well with. It even shot some L-C 1967 GI stuff just under an inch!!

hornady 110s

I have a box or two of the .270 110s somewhere. I'll hunt them up and sell them cheap if you're interested. loaded some for a friend's ancient Rem. .270. They were accurate. I didn't move them real fast. But his gun didn't like anthing pushed to max velocity. I loaded them with some surplus powder, and they shot a little better than the 130 grain hunting load. Around a half minute, if I recall correctly. They were essentially "donated" loads, so I didn't spend too much time developing the load.
Let me know by response here if you're interested.

I've busted a bunch of dogs with them beyond 500 yards with them and they still explode at that distance. A 50 vmax starting at 4100 in a 22br is the best long range dog load i ever shot

well ken a 50 v max out of a 22 BR at 4100 is great,unless there is some wind.Then i go to the 65 v max out of the 6 BR at 3520 and its great also.
65 v max out of the 6 BR has been my best ground hog load for over the last ten years. the hogs are a little tougher than the dogs but bigger and easyer to hit
at 600 yds.

I developed a 7/8" load for a friend's TIKKA in .270. He shot one deer behind the shoulders at about 150, said it did a good job, but I believe it was a 110 HP.

Over the years I have used a large number of the V Max bullets. V Max bullets do come apart fast. However, price considered they do shoot tight. Usually under 1/2". They are not benchrest match bullets but if you can be happy with 1/2" groups they are a good value.

In my 25 Cal rifles I often use the 75 Gr V Max. I have pushed it up to 4,200. I have shot several large hogs starting the bullet at 3,800 fps. At higher velocities, over 3,500, the V Max is a real killer. Even a gut shot can be an instant kill on a 200# boar. The bullet goes in with a 25 cal hole and explodes inside turning everything to a liquid.

We have used the 110 V Max in the Webly 270 Mag at higher velocitys and it is even better. Both the 25 and the 270 kill good out to past 300 yards.

We have also used the 110 .264 V Max to take larger deer in TN. This was with a 6.5BR in an AR-15 Platform. Velocity was about 3,000 fps. Works good out to past 200 yards.

To get the higher velocities we are shooting 28" and longer Kriger barrels.

All the above said we have found that the Berger bullets are better hunting bullets and will shoot tighter in a rifle with a match barrel.

Back