Hornady AMAX on game

M

murphy

Has anyone tried 30cal HornadyAMAX 168g on deer or pigs. They shoot accurately out of my 308 but the plastic tip looks a bit small and I am concerned that they may not expand. The muzzle velocity of my load is 2695fps? any help would be greatly appreciated Murphy.

i wouldnt worry about it not expanding, i would worry about complete bullet failure. in my 6.5x55(2550FPS) i grabbed the wrong box of ammunition once. grabbed the Amax's, instead of the SST's. heart/lung shot on a big doe resulted in the bullet jacket being recovered from under the far side skin, never found the core. i dont think they would penetrate well if they hit bone. i would opt for a sturdier bullet.

I have used the 162 exclusively in my 7 Mag since they came out. One shot has been sufficient on every deer I have pulled the trigger on using them. Shots range from 15 to 500 Yards. The furthest any deer has traveled is less than 30 yards. I have had better acuracy and performance on target with Amax's over Ballistic Tips, but your milage may vary.

For what it is worth.

Sam

Has anyone tried 30cal HornadyAMAX 168g on deer or pigs. They shoot accurately out of my 308 but the plastic tip looks a bit small and I am concerned that they may not expand. The muzzle velocity of my load is 2695fps? any help would be greatly appreciated Murphy.
I have used them in my 6.5x257 ackley,they are very accurate but will blow up on game and cause a whole shoulder to be wasted.

On Hornady AMAX.

Thanks for all the help,sounds like they may be a bit lightly constructed for the red deer that we have around here. They sound like they might be just the ticket though for feral pigs and goats and I dont care how much of a mess they make as long as they get inside and do the job and with 168grains behind them they are going to make a mess however fragile they are. Reguards Murphy.

Back