history question speer 52 match with silver jacket

C

CMaier

In the early 70's i shot speer match 52's that had a silver jacket.
Does anyone know what the jacket mater was ??
Thanks

I don't know the answer but I remember those bullets. Don't remember that they shot well though...could have been more what I was shootin' them with than the bullet itself.

Another curiosity (and that's all)...why are you asking this question?

yes they are a production bullet..not like a br bullet....
but
i still have some!

I don't know the answer but I remember those bullets. Don't remember that they shot well though...could have been more what I was shootin' them with than the bullet itself.

Another curiosity (and that's all)...why are you asking this question?

Shot Them In My .225 Winchester

When I was about 16, which would have been 1967 or so, I bought a new post-64 model 70 heavy-barrel winchester in .225. It was one of the ugliest rifles I've ever seen. It had the stamped checkering and the mat finished receiver. I put a Weaver 10 power on it. I loaded for it with a Lyman tong tool. I don't remember what case or powder or primers I used, but I do remember those silver Speer 52 grainers. They shot amazingly well if I kept the velocity down. I weighed all my cases and bullets and grouped them in lots.

Pretty soon I discovered girls and then went off to college. I let that rifle go in a bad trade that made my father swear that I was too dumb for college. I probably was. I didn't have a shooting mentor, and I knew nothing of benchrest, or I might have kept it. I have prettier rifles now, but most don't shoot any better than that one.

Calhoon in Montana makes varmint hunting bullets, they make all their jackets with a coating they call 'Slick Silver' I'm not sure what the jackets are made of. He sold them in Canada 25 years ago before he move Stateside and I had a bunch of them I seem to recall the jackets were not plated copper but tin of some sort. Google Calhoon bullets it might be a similar jacket to those old speer bullets.

Still have some

Yep I not only remember the speer silver bullets I still have a box. The ones I have seems to be a coating of silver and antimony over a regular gilding metal jacket. Why who knows. Probably just a marketing ploy.
Andy.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that if you used the Speer silver bullet in a Nationals, or it was some other famous match, you would get a special prize. Can't remember the match but I do remember that was how they could tell the difference.

Wonder if it was tin? I seem to recall that some military stuff around both world wars used something like that to stop barrel fouling.

I stand to be corrected on this, but I believe that if you used the Speer silver bullet in a Nationals, or it was some other famous match, you would get a special prize. Can't remember the match but I do remember that was how they could tell the difference.

Pretty sure you're right Bill...I don't remember either but I seem to remember that nobody ever did it....or tried...I think....

yes norma had a silver bullet....
easy to reduce copper fouling if there is not copper contact.
i had about a 1000 in 6.5

in Australia, during the 1970's, Speer marketed 2 types of .224 cal 52 grain match projectiles.

The less expensive type were labelled Silver Match and the slightly more expensive version were marked and packaged as Gold Match.

except for the coating, they appeared to be identical in shape and size.

cheers
goodi

Back