High Speed Steel Lathe Tooling

Received a quart of Viper's Venom last week. I had the opportunity to use it for a threading operation and it worked very well. It stays in place without slinging off just as Bob said it would. I will purchase this product again when my supply gets low.

Hi Woodbutcher,

Until a guy actually uses the oil and sees just how it stays on the threads, it's sort of hard to believe. I'm glad your happy with the product. Just wait until you try it for tapping.

Bob

Bob,

Great Stuff Buddy!!

But, what more folks truly need to learn is: WTB?

I sincerley hope you can explain that technique in one of your future videos..

Rod

By the way guys, Nodak7mm is a very close friend of mine and right now he's busting me on WTB. I'm still trying to figure out what those three letters mean. I guessed Want To Be but he says it's not right. I'm guessing those long North Dakota nights are getting to him.

Bob

By the way guys, Nodak7mm is a very close friend of mine and right now he's busting me on WTB. I'm still trying to figure out what those three letters mean. I guessed Want To Be but he says it's not right. I'm guessing those long North Dakota nights are getting to him.

Bob

Maybe 'where to buy?'.

Bob,
Nice clear video and I realize you were running out of hands but if I didn't keep some tension on the hand wheel to take the slack out before resetting the thread tool I would wind up with a mess. I also keep some tension on until the tool is in the cut. Is there a reason you have to use the same number on the thread dial each time? Thanks Kenny

Hi Kenny,

I always teach a new guy to only use one number, so he doesn't get confused. Each lathe works differently. On my lathe I can engage the half nut on any line on my dial. On some lathes if you are cutting an even numbered thread, you can use any even number on the dial. Every lathe is different. I know many experienced tool and die makers who will only use one number on the dial just to be safe. A plus to only using one number is that it gives the new operator a natural pause. He can recheck that he hasn't bumped any of the dials or that he did reset the cross slide back to zero.

Hi Darren,

I tried that one also. Nodak7mm knows he's driving me nuts with this so, I'm just letting him have his fun, Until I get him on the firing line.

55 degree HSS threading insert

If anyone is looking for a 55 degree HSS threading insert for Mauser action threads, contact me. I know of a small supply.

Bob

Hey Joe,

That is exactly where the small supply is located. The inserts are only $12.00 each plus shipping. They also have three cutting edges.

Last edited:
Back