High Speed Steel Lathe Tooling

Bob,
The video's look great. Thanks for the time that it took to make them. I was wondering if you or anyone else here has tried the laydown internal threading system from Warner?
Keep us updated on the oil.

Hi John,

Yes, I have used the internal threading insert from The Warner Co. I actually gave away the two other brand name ones that I was using. Mike Warner makes a kit. I've forgotten the number right now but it has both thread cutters on the same tool holder. I showed it in the HSS video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKGkkGFsF50

If you watch the video to the end, you will see the thread cutting kit. The one I show is the 1/2" kit. He also makes a 3/8" kit. Both come with everything you need right from the box.

The Viper's Venom high sulfur cutting, threading and chambering oil will be available on January 2nd. I really don't want to ship anything during the last two weeks before Christmas. Shippers are a bit rough with packages right now. It will come in two sizes initially. 8oz. and quart sizes. Prices are $5.00 and $15.00 respectively. I'm going to use a flat rate shipping service and the lowest bidder will get my product. That will be decided by this Wed. When you are ready to try it, just go to my website www.viperbench-rest.com and send me an email using the contact button on the main page.

Bob

Hi John,

Kit 19 is the one you need for small holes. The one in the video needs a 1-3/8 minimum hole diameter.

I'm in the process of collecting all 26 of his tool kits.

Bob

I shot a video yesterday on something you will need to do eventually.

Nice video..........BUT...I don't know how you moved the compound a few turns and then reengaged the piece with the cross slide and it ended up back at zero.......I must be missing something. I would think if you moved the compound into the work some distance, the cross slide would be "0" less this amount......... ??

Hi Roy,

You are absolutely correct. Isn't it amazing how sometimes it just works out perfectly? It just so happened that, in that particular case, I moved the compound forward exactly the distance equal to 1 revolution on the cross slide in order to set my insert into the center of the cut. Then I moved the cross slide forward into the cut and it just happened to hit 0 on the dial.

The procedure is still the same, even if by moving the compound into alignment with the center of the cut and by doing so shortened the distance the cross slide has to travel in order to bottom out in the valley of the cut. You would still have to 0 out the dial, when it fully engages the bottom of the valley before proceeding. The cross slide must be zeroed each time.

I appologize for any confusion. I sort of had my hands full at the time holding the camera with one hand, trying to discribe the process and operating the lathe with one hand. I'll try harder next time.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

I never thought anyone ever paid attention to my posts. Thank You so much for the feed back. I shot a video yesterday on something you will need to do eventually. I almost went nuts trying to figure it out the first time I tried it. Here is the link. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfwdsBYJN34

Bob

Are you kidding? I think a lot of people watch your stuff.
This last one where you reline up the threads is something I had to do 3 days ago. I managed to get it aligned but if I had seen this video first it would have been MUCH EASIER for me!
Thanks for posting the video Bob. Really great stuff and very helpful.
pg

Hi pg,

Thank You for the kind words. I know what I had to go thru to figure out some of this stuff and I just wanted to help. I recieved an email today from a guy on another forum and he told me I was nuts giving away my information to just anyone. What a jerk.

Bob

Bob,
I really thank you for sharing the information and I am sure plenty of others feel the same way.
As for the fellow who does not want to share his information...... Well, you described him perfectly...... A JERK!
Thanks again......
pg

A bit OT....But on my lathe I drilled and taped the cross slide, inserted a piece of threaded rod, taped a piece of 22RF barrel, with a locknut..........I set the stop to hit the carriage when the cutter is at "0". No more needing to read dials as I move the cross in and out.........Simple-effective!

DSC_1972-vi.jpg

DSC_1973-vi.jpg

Bob,
I have a suggestion on something that I have not heard mentioned. If you did mention it I failed to catch it.
How do you determine how much total infeed to use on the compound when cutting threads?

For example let's say you are threading a section of rod and the thread is 7/8-14.
How do you know how much to advance the compound to achieve the finished minor diameter for the finished thread?
I use a chart myself to determine this. Do you have a better way?
Thanks...... pg

A bit OT....But on my lathe I drilled and taped the cross slide, inserted a piece of threaded rod, taped a piece of 22RF barrel, with a locknut..........I set the stop to hit the carriage when the cutter is at "0". No more needing to read dials as I move the cross in and out.........Simple-effective!

DSC_1972-vi.jpg

DSC_1973-vi.jpg

hey that's cool!

by tomorrow nite my lathe will have it

al

Bob,
I have a suggestion on something that I have not heard mentioned. If you did mention it I failed to catch it.
How do you determine how much total infeed to use on the compound when cutting threads?

For example let's say you are threading a section of rod and the thread is 7/8-14.
How do you know how much to advance the compound to achieve the finished minor diameter for the finished thread?
I use a chart myself to determine this. Do you have a better way?
Thanks...... pg

Hi PG,

There are several different ways to determine how far to cut when threading and it depends on the project.

1. If I'm just threading a rod for a nut, then I stop and try to screw the nut on. That's the easy one.
2. I just chambered a barrel for another gunsmith who was dying and he wanted to give his friend his rifle with a new barrel on it.
He sent me a new barrel, the go gauge and reamer. On an index card he had several measurements. One was for the threaded tenon diameter. For this measurement he used a set of wires for an over wire measurement. I had him send me the wires he used and by placing the three wires strategically over the diameter, and between the valley of opposing threads, I could take an "accross the wires measurement" and duplicate his tenon perfectly.

I don't have any diagrams to send you but if you do a little research on the net, you should be able to find some photos of this procedure.
I guess i should shoot a short video of this being done. It's actually the proper way to measure threads in this application.

Your chart will work as long as you have something to actually test the threads with, like a nut.

Bob

Last edited:
Hey Bob,

I want to see a video of you holding the camera while you're demonstrating using those thread wires!;)

Jim

I use a thread mike instead of wires to measure the Pitch Diameter, you dont need three hands and a chunk of clay like with wires. The P.D. can be found in Machinery's Handbook.

A thread micrometer is a real nice way to measure but not everyone has one or can afford one, especially novices. My answers are alway geared towards the novice. That's why I didn't mention that particular tool.

Hi Jim,

If you were a bit closer, you could hold the camera for me. I always welcome visitors to the lathe cave. I see that your avatar is a target. If you are a shooter, I even have a 200 yd. range in the back yard, if you are ever up this way.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob,

I'm sure I would enjoy that. The wires work for me, eventually. That mention of clay by MilGunsmith is something I hadn't heard of, but will try next time. I'm almost over my last trip to Holton ('02), so I'll be sure to look you up if I get up there again.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

The clay works really nice to hold those wires, while I try to contort this old body to handle the micrometer. I'm 40 miles South of Holton and a young lady in bathing suit pulls targets for us. I just can't get her to work during the Winter. My wife and her grand mother make me pull my own targets once school starts.

Bob

Bob,

Great Stuff Buddy!!

But, what more folks truly need to learn is: WTB?

I sincerley hope you can explain that technique in one of your future videos..

Rod

Back