Henriksen reamers

Hey Jerry

George Kelblys little gun shop beside the road has been building actions, complete rifles, fitting barrels, and making stocks for some 30 odd years. George's little shop chambers a few thousand benchrest barrels each year. Would he order his reamers from anyone but Hugh Henriksen? Not likely.

I don’t chamber quite that many barrels each year, although I chamber barrels almost every day of the week…trying my best to keep up with the shooters that change barrels as often as I change socks!

I thought I’d chime in here on the situation with the supply of chambering reamers that come from the custom tooling shops supplying products to the benchrest community.

I hope that folks can exercise a little patience when dealing with these vendors, as well as the custom gun builders and other suppliers in this business. You are correct in stating that these vendors aren’t “Mal-Wart” distributing cheap Chi-com junk. They are craftsman diligently hand finishing quality products, which requires an extraordinary amount of time and labor.

Keep in mind that quite a bit of pride goes into the manufacture of these products for the precision shooter. A lot of the makers are also shooters themselves and sell their products to their friends. I can assure you that they would never purposely sell an inferior product just to make a quick buck. It’s too easy to get black-listed in this small niche target shooting game.

For several decades, our shop has used tooling supplied from the major tool makers located in Oregon – JGS, Pacific, and Hugh Henriksen. They all make superior tooling, and I recommend their products on a regular basis. When someone is in need of tooling in a hurry, I tell them to contact all three makers for an estimate on delivery time. Hugh is pretty much a one-man shop, so don’t expect anything from him pronto – however what you get will be of excellent quality.

Everyone makes mistakes. A little civility goes a long way when dealing with the vendors when they make mistakes (this includes our shop).

Also – these tool makers are at the mercy of the material quality; and they often have no control over the quality or any reliable way to determine its suitability for the parts that they make. I could write a small book over this issue…as anybody in the manufacturing business these days knows it’s a factor that is a burden on the whole U.S. manufacturing industry. So if one experiences a problem with finish or rapid wear of a reamer, don’t be too quick to blame the toolmaker.

Greg Walley
Kelbly's Inc.

Guys-I ran into Switchbarrel today 4-23-2010 at the NBRSA 600 Yard Nationals and he told me personaly that the reamer had arrived in wednesdays mail.
Waterboy aka Lynn

reamers from Henriksen

I have never delt with Henrikson but friends have and say he makes the best reamers hands down, next would be JGS
All others I have used just don't cut it there spec sheets are full of mistakes and don't match reamer at all

From;
Warner Tool Company
Note: If you plan on supplying your own chamber reamer: It is subject to our inspection and approval prior to use and we reserve the right of refusal. Unless we supply the reamer, we will not be responsible for its condition. Any repairs or modifications we make to your reamer will be your financial responsibility. Unless otherwise stated, we require you to supply a head space gage and reamer print.

Many years ago I decided to get my own reamer for the 6PPC. I asked the late Jerry Simison (my gunsmith at the time) for a recommendation. He told me to get a Hendriksen reamer and I wouldn't be sorry. I served my wait-time (not as long then as now) and got the reamer. Since then, I have had all of my 6 PPC barrels chambered with it, and it is an excellent reamer. Billy Stevens now uses it to do my work. When a friend asked for a recommendation, I suggested Henriksen. Well, he waited a year for it and (sort of) blamed me for the wait. he now has had several barrels chambered with the reamer and states that it was worth the wait. If you cannot wait, don't order a reamer from Hugh. There are several reamer makers that have been mentioned that are excellent reamers and one should use these if he is in a hurry. Good shooting...James Mock

Boots? Simply the best of the best. Don't know how many he has taught the trade to.
Another one man shop. Been knowing him since he got started here in WI. He's about 16 mi. from me. He cut me a barrel in the sixties in .35 Whelen on my Rem 760 action.
He feels it was the first. So do I.

Back