Help With Neck Turning

M

mothball10x

I have been turning all the necks on my cases and I have only one problem with doing this.I spend more time chucking up the case straight than the actual turning of the necks.I use a variable speed drill with a Sinclair case holder. Are there any tricks that you guys know of or a different case holder I can use. Other then this problem,I don't mind the turning operation at all.
I turn for five different calipers and my fingers get sore from looseing and tightening that collar on the case holder to keep the case from wobbling.
I can't afford a Gracy or lathe !

I use the same tools and they work great. Just wear a leather glove on your work hand and the problem goes away.

Just wear a leather glove on your work hand and the problem goes away.

dr-strangelove.jpg

Mothball ...

I have been turning all the necks on my cases and I have only one problem with doing this.I spend more time chucking up the case straight than the actual turning of the necks.I use a variable speed drill with a Sinclair case holder. Are there any tricks that you guys know of or a different case holder I can use. Other then this problem,I don't mind the turning operation at all.
I turn for five different calipers and my fingers get sore from looseing and tightening that collar on the case holder to keep the case from wobbling. I can't afford a Gracy or lathe !

I too, once had a Sinclair case holder. The key words are ONCE HAD. I have a bunch of fine equipment from Sinclair but that one didn't make it to my keeper pile. I highly recommend the K&M CASE HOLDER. It's available from: http://precisionreloading.com/ or directly from http://www.kmshooting.com/index.php. I never had a problem after I switched.

The CONVEX [outward rounded] center of the Sinclair tool is the culprit. It doesn't provide even pressure on the bottom of the case head. That's where the wobble comes from. I mentioned it to one of the Tech Reps at Sinclair at the time of my return but I guess a redesign was never pursued. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had them both....I like the Sinclair Better. Wobble is not really a problem and both case holders acted the same to me. I'm sure a person could make a better center piece for either if they have the ability/equipment.

When I turn my cases, sometimes the wobble looks like a wheel coming off a car but after I'm done, they all measure the same. With a .0005 dial, the needle doesn't even wiggle.

Hovis

Use a variable speed electric drill that has a 1/2" capacity chuck. Sears has one that will work great for $29.95.

fuh'GEDDABOUT the silly Sinclair unit!!! It'll forever wobble and you'll wear a hole through your glove and your liddle hand will get SO tired.........

GET'cherself one a' these

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=352653

The 'Lee Zip Trim Case Trimmer Universal 3 Jaw Chuck Case Holder'

Click on the 'suggested products' tab below the picture to see the 'Lee Case Spinner Spindle with Drill Shank for use with 3 Jaw Chuck' that you need with it.

They aren't very durable, I've worn several out and have two spares on hand at all times but they steenking WORK! Don't bother with the little starter cord trimmer cuz it's about useless unless you're doing your reloading in a cave.

al

If you can adapt this universal chuck you will never go back to the other ones. It doesn’t solve the wobble problem associated with others but it is by far easier to use and not caliber specific. It is in Midway’s catalog,
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...913&categoryString=9315***731***695***8935***
The chuck is $11.99 and you will want to also purchase the spindle below it for $3.79 and it should complete the package.

Rick

Attachments

• DSCN1608.jpg
    DSCN1608.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 197
for what it is worth, I use the K&M and I'm a beginner, and it works fine. I have to tighten it up on the brass with a small wrench (I'm probably taking off too much at a time!) but it works great by hand.

Rick ...

If you can adapt this universal chuck you will never go back to the other ones. It doesn’t solve the wobble problem associated with others but it is by far easier to use and not caliber specific. It is in Midway’s catalog,
http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/Bro...913&categoryString=9315***731***695***8935***
The chuck is $11.99 and you will want to also purchase the spindle below it for $3.79 and it should complete the package. Rick

I tried that one too! The only problem with the LEE UNIVERSAL THREE JAW CHUCK CASE HOLDER was that the JAWS tore up my case heads. That one went to the scrap heap also. :)

I use a K&M. I have the shaft of a T-handle Allen wrench Loc-Tited into the provided hole. It gives me leverage to loosen and tighten it without the aggravation of the Allen wrench coming loose all the time.

Greg J.

I tried that one too! The only problem with the LEE UNIVERSAL THREE JAW CHUCK CASE HOLDER was that the JAWS tore up my case heads. That one went to the scrap heap also. :)

I wonder if you didn't get a defective one??? I've used up two and have one being used, and two spares, and have never had this problem.

Also, on the wobble-spec, these have a flat bearing plate so the wobble is significantly different than that generated by the Sinclair unit, AND with just a little lubrication and practice I can get 9 out of 10 to be wobble-free on the first try, the tenth I have to reset which takes seconds.

I use them in a drill press laid down sidewise on a table.

al

I've NEVER had to practice with my K&M! :D Just use it. It's SOLID. :)

Back