Help with F/TR Rifle

Mr_Logic

Hi there,

I am in the UK, looking to shoot some F/TR potentially. We are a bit devoid of the longer range disciplines here - all I can find is F-class or iron sight stuff. Don't like irons which leaves F-class.

I was about to buy a Savage F/TR for this purpose, but... it got sold to someone else. The UK rifle scene means no more for several months, and then, due to exchange rate issues, it will be £1,700, as opposed to the current £1,100.

I could just about bring myself to try a new discipline for £1100, but not £1700 as I really don't have it.

I generally shoot informal targets at 200-500 yards, but the norm is 200 and it's boring me as it's too easy.

I was thinking of getting a low-end heavy barrel rifle in 308 to start off with, and then if I like F-class getting something better. Is this a reasonable route to take?

My rifle choices at sensible prices are:

remington SPS Varmint (or a P - worth the extra initially?)

Ruger M77 VT (or a VLE with a Hogue stock - which is nice and cheap, presumably due to that Hogue stock)

CZ550 Varmint Laminate

However, my local gunsmith, who shoots this and makes rifles for others that win competitions, says I should be looking down the secondhand target rifle route, as this will have a longer barrel and can be modified later. My only beef with that is that a secondhand target rifle of decent make will have to be quite tatty to meet my budget, and this will only annoy me as it will remind me that I couldn't afford the real deal.

Also, I am thinking that even if I don't enjoy F-class, the 308 tactical-type rifle will be good for my current shooting. This is currently done with my Remington SPS tactical in 223, which shoots very well, except the X-mark trigger is too heavy, even when lightened as much as it goes.

So I could do with some advice from those that know, please :)

Many thanks :)

I started off on a strict budget as well and bought a 2nd hand Rem 700 Police in 308. It has served me well for a few years and I was able to go hunting with it one day, then shoot F class with it the next. Yesterday a freind used it for his 2nd shoot to get a 58 out of 60 (the wind pushed 2 shots just into the 5 ring), while I have occaisionaly got a perfect 60 with it and won a few bigger prize shoots. That said, in the next few days I will be puling it apart to use with other projects. I would have done better to spend the same money and buy a 2nd hand target rifle for the following reasons.

A wooden target stock can have a flat cut into the front to fit a flat aluminium 3" plate fitted to the front for a benchrest if you like shooting off a rest. If you prefer to shoot off a bipod, then a target stock will have the correct rail to fit a "proper" F class stock, not one of the flimsyer Harris bipods which are great for the field. The rear of the std Rem stock has too much slope, which can cause too much verticle on recoil. A wooden target stock can be reshaped or have extra wood glued or screwed on so that the rear of the stock is a bit flatter. (Like the Tracker stye stocks). A stock like this will be easier to shoot and you can concentrate more on the wind, and SLIGHTLY less on making sure your hold is absolutley perfect. A target stock will be a bit heavier as well.
The other reason I would go for a used target rifle is the action. The remington will be good for hanging a 26" medium weight barrel onto and for having a magazine, but you only single round load in F class. A target action will be stiffer, better for hanging the bigger 30"+ heavy barrels off.

As for the barrel, it would be good to find a target rifle with a burnt out 31-32" barrel and cut 2" off the chamber to get a new throat. Either that or ask around for any of the serious shooters who are using 32-34" barrels and ask if they have any which are shot out. If so, cut the worn section off and you have a 28-30" barrel, all run in and a fresh throat. You will probably be able to get the chamber cut with a reamer better suited to the bullets you will use.Your Remington barrel will be 10-12" twist, while if you are limited to 155gn bullets, a 13" twist which most target rifles have would be better. ( Are there any shooters in OZ with any shot out 34" barrels they want to sell me??) Realisticly though, barrels should be thought of as a consumable. If you get a target rifle with an old shot out barrel, no problem, you have some good barrel makers in U.K who will be able to get you a barrel in the right length, profile and twist for the bullets you are allowed to use. This good barrel will last you years.
You said a target rifle in your budget will look a bit ratty. I think it will be good to have a ratty looking gun which is functionaly very good and use it to beat the flash expensive full on target rifles.

Hi Mr logic
The Savage F/TR is now a ridiculous price in the UK as are all the other US imports, I was fortunate to get one last year at the old price. I must say that it shoots pretty well but seems very fussy compared to my old Choate stocked 10fp which was easy to work up very accurate loads for. If the barrel had been more worn I would have hung a new heavy profile 30inch barrel on the old action. I sold the old 10fp for the equivalent of £400 - a new barrel fitted would have cost around £500, which should have made a damn fine F/TR rifle for well under a grand, and as I think Rooshooter is saying – the old ripper may well then shoot the pants off the guy who just spent a fortune on a fancy rig - all my savages have been good for this ;).
Imho I would say get or build yourself a rifle that will do what you want from the start or don’t bother at all, for long range target(ie.1000yds) I would rather a tatty heavy 30” than a smart hunting rig with a skinny short barrel.
Oaken

A 700P (the P actually stands for phosphated, the black finish) is a decent starter rifle. The chamber is perhaps generously sized with a bit much in the way of freebore, but it is a decent starting point. The 1-12 twist barrel will stabilze bullet up to 175 gr with no difficulty.

Someone mentioned the butt end of the stock had too much slope on the bottom and thus tended towards vertical stinging of the shots. Well, the nice thing about the laminated plastic stocks (vice the injection molded ones) is that Bondo (used for auto body repair in the States) is an inxpensive way to experiment with altering the stock.

As far as the generous chamber dimensions go, a qualified smith should be able to set back the barrel one thread and put a match chamber in the barrel in very little time.

Mr Logic,

The 308 Savage F/TR rifle is a competitive out of the box rifle for reasonable money. If you contact Stuart Anselm of www.ospreyrifles.com he might still have one at the old price.

The F/TR class has really taken off in the UK and whereas a tactical rifle would have been a reasonable option a couple of years ago, things have moved on and the F/TR guys are shoving their 155 bullets at almost 3100fps. You just can't do this with a short barrel tactical rig.

All the GB F Class shoots are 800 to 1000 yards and you need a 30 -32 inch barrel.

Have a look at the GB F Class website at www.f-class.org.uk There is an F/TR section and a link to the new UK F Class forum where all your questions can be answered.

Cheers
Vince (UK)

Back