Help Desigin my Reloading room.

Pikes, Do you have any issues with that table flexing while under a heavy load such as when forming cases from one caliber to another?.

While I don't do any case forming, I suspect it wouldn't have any issues handling such a task. The oak top is 2-3/4" pcs. plywood glued and screwed together.

Most of my reloading presses are portable and easily attach to the bench top with c clamps...just like at the range.

The only press I have that's really stationary is my A-2......that's the press that handles the case forming duty.

It took me 25 years to get and a lot of Honey Dooo's that also included some crying. You don't know how many trips to home depot and super glue it took me to build it:rolleyes:

But was all well worth it:eek:

Are those metal cabinets??? Where were the cabinets purchased??
One of the nicest "man caves" I've seen!!!
Melvin Calliham

Melvin,

I am a general building contractor and I hired a couple of the cabinet workers from the cabinet company I use to build them for me. It took a while to get them done as they built them after hours and on weekends. They are all made with a light gray laminate, the pulls are a full length black metal U channel and commercial thick black banding around the doors to give a little design effect.

I had for years old cabinets and solid door tops etc and a 19in Tv to watch and it all worked well and I would sit in the chair watching the Tv and a pad and pencil drawing how I wanted a dream man cave if I could ever have one. I measured everything out several times to see what the best layout would be, down to how much space I would need between the cleaning rod while cleaning the rifle to the loading area behind this area etc.

I really enjoy how everything turned out and it is a very comfortable to be in. I hope everyone has enjoyed looking at the pictures, it's like being a proud Papa with a new born.

Thanks for the nice comments it much appriciated. Good Shooting to All:eek:

Tom

I saw the posters name and skipped to the pictures. 'Didn't see the part about the pictures being of your reloading room. Wow! nice design and execution.

Boyd

Reloading Room

Tom, I don't think that room can be described as a loading room, I think it can only be referred to as a metallic cartridge research laboratory. I will take a few pictures of what I have to start off with and post them tomorrow. Thanks again for the responses .

lights?

I don't reload shotshells..... yet, so shot hasn't been an issue for me, but powder is easily vacuumed out of the track. If you do spill a lot of shot, I would just run the tracking to the front of the bench. Really, it would have to be completely full for it to be a problem, so I don't think I'd worry about it. I have occasionally dropped a few pieces of stainless media in the tracking and it didn't cause any problems.

I didn't mention it, but you could also run the tracking sideways. If you look at the cabinet/woodworking table ideas, some them even have tracking going both ways. There are lots of interesting ways to make your bench surface modular. I'm sure you will come up with something that works well for your use. Please post up some pictures when you get it put together.

I'm thinking my next setup will be made with a butcher block or old bowling alley lane top and I'll do cork flooring in the room. Led lights will work better with electronic scales than my current overhead florescent setup. Make sure you secure the bench to the studs if you are going to have your scale on the same bench as your press.

Whoops! This got my attention. I have just noticed that my (admittedly) cheap electronic scale is not accurate. Over my workbench is a 2-tube 60" inch flourescent fixture. Could that be a problem? Sounds like you know something about this.

Whoops! This got my attention. I have just noticed that my (admittedly) cheap electronic scale is not accurate. Over my workbench is a 2-tube 60" inch flourescent fixture. Could that be a problem? Sounds like you know something about this.

I am certain that it affects electronic scales, especially if it is plugged into the same outlet. I was having problems with my Acculab vic-123 at night when I had the light on. During the daytime, it didn't have any problems. I ended up getting an ultra-sensitive battery backup and that seemed to help. Eventually I switched to one of the FX120I scales from Cambridge Environmental. It doesn't seem to be affected by anything, but if you can eliminate a variable, why not?

Back