Help Desigin my Reloading room.

stall

Hello, I recently moved and need help redesigning my reloading room. Specifically the design of the bench itself. I would like to have a way to move the presses around without to much difficulty. The room I have is 9x12 and is in a basement . Pictures or links would help thank you.

Move the presses, why?

Not sure why you want to move presses around. More info would help.

My room is about that big, maybe 9 by 14. I have a big reloading table made out of a heavy institutional door with formica on both sides, sitting on a steel drafting table base. It's about seven feet long and has a centerfire press and three shotgun presses mounted to it. There is room enough between the centerfire press and one of the shotgun presses to also use an arbor press. The room also contains a cleaning table which is made out of a similar door. There is storage under both tables and in a big closet that runs full width of one end of the room. There is shelving across the back of both tables for dies and cleaning supplies. There are also some bookshelves for manuals and such. I keep my powder in the adjoining workshop. My room is quite full, but makes for a cozy man cave.

If you want to move your presses around, look into aluminum t tracking like they use on jig tables for cabinetry making. I made a cabinet that locks up with my presses in it. I can add and remove additional presses or put them in 3 different places. This is a really old photo, but if you look close, you will get the idea. I used a router to cut the slots into the countertop and then screwed the t tracking to the metal frame. If you ever make a bench this way, you'll never do it any other way. There is no downside, and it allows you to slide the presses forwards/backwards to take advantage of your workspace. I can work on guns with the presses slid back and also attach powder measures, trimmers, swagers, etc. in front. Eventually I'll have a room with plenty of room for multiple presses, but I'll still do the t tracking.

cabinet2l.jpg

This is the cabinet closed. I use materials from an old barn to make the cabinet. It really works well.

cabinet1.jpg

Last edited:
Reloading Room

I was wanting the versatility of moving the presses around because I Have a lot of other stuff to store in the room and thought that if I needed the bench space it would nice to be able to quickly unbolt the presses and move them aside.

If you want to move your presses around, look into aluminum t tracking like they use on jig tables for cabinetry making. I made a cabinet that locks up with my presses in it. I can add and remove additional presses or put them in 3 different places. This is a really old photo, but if you look close, you will get the idea. I used a router to cut the slots into the countertop and then screwed the t tracking to the metal frame. If you ever make a bench this way, you'll never do it any other way. There is no downside, and it allows you to slide the presses forwards/backwards to take advantage of your workspace. I can work on guns with the presses slid back and also attach powder measures, trimmers, swagers, etc. in front. Eventually I'll have a room with plenty of room for multiple presses, but I'll still do the t tracking.

cabinet2l.jpg

This is the cabinet closed. I use materials from an old barn to make the cabinet. It really works well.

cabinet1.jpg

The T Tracking is interesting do you have any problems getting spilled powder or shot out of it.

I don't reload shotshells..... yet, so shot hasn't been an issue for me, but powder is easily vacuumed out of the track. If you do spill a lot of shot, I would just run the tracking to the front of the bench. Really, it would have to be completely full for it to be a problem, so I don't think I'd worry about it. I have occasionally dropped a few pieces of stainless media in the tracking and it didn't cause any problems.

I didn't mention it, but you could also run the tracking sideways. If you look at the cabinet/woodworking table ideas, some them even have tracking going both ways. There are lots of interesting ways to make your bench surface modular. I'm sure you will come up with something that works well for your use. Please post up some pictures when you get it put together.

I'm thinking my next setup will be made with a butcher block or old bowling alley lane top and I'll do cork flooring in the room. Led lights will work better with electronic scales than my current overhead florescent setup. Make sure you secure the bench to the studs if you are going to have your scale on the same bench as your press.

Sometimes, simpler is better. If you use countersunk T nuts mounted on the undersides of double thickness plywood press mounts, to mount the various presses, the mounted presses can simply be clamped to a sturdy bench top. The trick is to make the top thick and sturdy enough to be cantilevered far enough so that the clamps can clear the bench framework. When you are finished with a press, you can simply put it on a shelf that is the same depth as the press mounts. I have a friend that has a Dillon that is mounted to his garage work bench. He uses it perhaps two times a year. The rest of the time it is in the way.

Reloading Room

I really appreciate the ideas, The Room I am setting up for reloading was my daughter's bedroom she is 21 and moved out a couple months ago. On one hand I am happy to have the space to use but reluctant to open that wall between my man cave room and the bedroom. As soon as I finalize my plans I will start.

Don't worry. If she comes back, make sure there's room for a camp bed.

When my son left home, I lined his built in wardrobe with foam & put in wine racks. Only issue is that he's returned now & again & reckons he should still have access to the contents. ;)

one of the best low cost items to use as a bench top is to go to Home Depot etc and buy a solid core hard board door. they come with a masonite skin that is smooth and works well as a top. Get it at least 1inch 3/4 thick and in the width 6ft 8inch or 8foot by what depth you want 24inches to 36inches. Get something that is at least standard no special order. you can get some 2x4's and put a frame to place the top on.

Lissen to Libby!!

'AT's good advice right there :)

(And The Libster has as smooth a loading room as anyone on the planet 'cept maybe those A'rab Sons of Shieks that make the T'Rex videos.....)

Help design my Reloading Room

Libby, Thank you I would have never thought of using those. Home depot has a 30x80 for $21.00

It took me 25 years to get and a lot of Honey Dooo's that also included some crying. You don't know how many trips to home depot and super glue it took me to build it:rolleyes:

But was all well worth it:eek:

If you need to move presses and such, the t-track is the ticket . It lets me move presses, measures, trimmers etc. at will and when things get spilled into it, I just vacuum it out.

Attachments

• 2011 Bench 006.JPG
    2011 Bench 006.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 2011 Bench 002.jpg
    2011 Bench 002.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 349
Help with reloading room

Pikes, Do you have any issues with that table flexing while under a heavy load such as when forming cases from one caliber to another?.

Back