Hello everyone! New guy here looking for suggestions

M

MichaelT56

Hello everyone,

Just an old newbie here from Mississippi (the patron state of shooting stuff..... LOL)

I have a question,
There is a friendly competition a few guys around here engage in where they shoot at a dime size target out at 200 yards.
I have a 257 Weatherby magnum that I have been thinking of trying out at their range so I can play their game.
Here is the question(s),
Is the 257 WM a decent round for a reliable group out at 200 yards?
What would be a good scope to use to shoot at that distance?
What power scope would be good at this range?

Thanks everyone!

Mike

What are the guys you would be playing the game with shooting?

I know one of the guys personally and he is the one that has roped me into trying to play this game. He shoots a 308 (I don't know the gun maker).
I guess my intent was to try to get out there and play the game with what I already have.

Here is the game:
First shot, you have to hit an egg at 200 yds. Then you progress to paint balls. You shoot paint balls until you miss. The person that hits the most paint balls wins (bragging rights for the day.... LOL).

SO, you guys think I won't be able to play this game using my 257 WM...... right?

Mike

Get a big 36+ power scope and go give it a try. Usually the recoil from large magnums keep them from being competitive in a match like that. Go on out there and have fun. I bet theyll let you shoot their stuff to get you hooked

Get a big 36+ power scope and go give it a try. Usually the recoil from large magnums keep them from being competitive in a match like that. Go on out there and have fun. I bet theyll let you shoot their stuff to get you hooked

Yep, I figure they are trying to set the hook on me. I guess I will start with a good scope and then if I have to replace the rifle...... dang, this is already sounding like a rich man's game (LOL).

Mike

Heck
Find an old rem788 in 22-250. Get 36 power scope, factory a ammo and I bet you beat 'em all.
Bill

I know one of the guys personally and he is the one that has roped me into trying to play this game. He shoots a 308 (I don't know the gun maker).
I guess my intent was to try to get out there and play the game with what I already have.

Here is the game:
First shot, you have to hit an egg at 200 yds. Then you progress to paint balls. You shoot paint balls until you miss. The person that hits the most paint balls wins (bragging rights for the day.... LOL).

SO, you guys think I won't be able to play this game using my 257 WM...... right?

Mike
Sounds great. I think they've already got ya.
A good used model 700 in .223 with a 36x weaver would be a great place to start.

Heck
Find an old rem788 in 22-250. Get 36 power scope, factory a ammo and I bet you beat 'em all.
Bill

Yep, as I understand, the guy that won last weekend was shooting a 22-250. He got the egg and then got one paint ball.

Sounds great. I think they've already got ya.
A good used model 700 in .223 with a 36x weaver would be a great place to start.

Yep, I figure I want to start with at least a 36x scope. My friend has a 50x he uses.

You can buy the newer leupold competition series scopes for well under $1000 and in a 45x you should be well ahead of their sight picture. They are very clear at 200yd

You can buy the newer leupold competition series scopes for well under $1000 and in a 45x you should be well ahead of their sight picture. They are very clear at 200yd

Thanks for that recommendation Dusty!

Mike

Dusty, you have not

checked the price on Leupold Comps lately. $1200 plus for new. And most used ones are now going for near $1K. That said, I would suggest a 46 Weaver to almost anyone today. As long as their rifle will make weight with it. But for a lot of plinkers, a Leupold 36BR will get it done.

David

You can probably find a BSA 36 Benchrest for a 100 or less, they are heavy but might work. Last year midway was closing them out for 99 bucks. But of course you get what you you pay for. I use to buy old rem788 for 120 bucks until folks fiquered out they are probably the most accurate factory gun out of the box. I have all but the 44 mag and the (7mm8 ( I think thats what it is))
Bill

They are first class. With a friendly competition you aren't worrying about you rifle making any weight class. The Nightforce is an excellent choice. Also at a better price point and I think is marketed to compete with nightforce is the Sightron Siii 10-50-60. I own one of these and it is all I could ask for at half the cost of the nightforce.

Back