Has anyone hunted wolves?

As a lifelong resident of Pennsyltucky, I can only relate what I have witnessed in my 45 years of hunting here. In the 50's and 60's the pheasant hunting was in it's heyday but starting in the early 70's ....long before the first pack of "imported" coyotes were let loose (suppossedly) farming methods drastically changed the landscape by ripping out the fencerows that criss-crossed the countryside......hence the pheasant lost their protective cover. The game commission realized this fact decades ago and only stock a few choice areas (coincidentally most are with-in a 1/2 hour drive from Harrisburg......State Representative perks?)
To say that pheasants have have been decimated by coyote is simply ludicrous.
How is it that the wild turkey population continues to expand? Are these birds more adept at avoiding vicious canines?

BTW ...you can call me lh, or you can call me lhsmith, or you can call me lhs, but ya doesn't have to call me "Smitty":)

Last edited:
Haven't visited for awhile. Someone asked about my Bulgarian dog. I don't have a recent photo of him but heres a site with info on these dogs.

Average size of a male runs from 99 to 125 pounds. My dog got to 130 before the vet suggested we put him on a diet, he probably still weighs over 120.
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/bulgarianshepherddog.htm

I'll try to get him to hold still for some photos tomorrow and post one with a yard stick laid on him for scale.
He's so big around that his legs look short in comparasion.
I just curry combed him this week and got two trash bags full of winter coat off him. He sheds constantly and the under coat builds up pretty quickly if I don't comb it out regularly.

More BIG wolf pics.

I hope this works OK. I'm pretty computer illiterate, but trying to learn.
The size of these animals (as they appear in the photos) really are quite amazing. Do you think these pic's are photo-shopped ?

Are wolves strictly carnivores, or will they eat vegetable matter to keep from starving to death? The reason I ask this question, is as the pheasant population began to diminish here in Ca. the coyote population seemed to explode. Soon after, cottontail rabbits started declining, & still more coyotes.:( . So now, were hunting Coyotes (for the love of hunting) but not table fare!!!:( .

The reason I asked the question about about carnivores surviving on vegetables, is because (well) I examined some coyote turds, & they were full of tomato peels (tomatoes are a commonly grown agricultural crop in this area) I guessed,the furry/feathered critters were already eaten up!!!

Food for thought!

Calumet

http://www.huntingnut.com/uploads/forums/wolf.jpg

I don't know about wolves but in the summer, coyotes and foxes will take a large part of their diet from vegtable matter.

Looks as though I was wrong on my photoshop comment.

Those are some big wolves, I had no idea a mature male in winter coat could mass that size on the hoof even though I've seen a few fresh pelts and some "big" tame ones.

I'll retract my comment!

:)

al

I don't know about wolves but in the summer, coyotes and foxes will take a large part of their diet from vegtable matter.

Wolves will eat grasses, berries, bugs, fish, clams, snails, birds, rodents, coyotes and most any sort of small animal, especially anything newborn, small bears, anything they can kill without undue risk to themselves, garbage, etc, etc, They will even cannabilize their own pack members if they need too, but fresh ungulate meat is always their preferred fare..

Last edited:
big wolf

In 2003,wife and I spent 5 months on a trip to Alaska.On the way home,we stopped at the Indian campground in Buffalo,Wy.
A guy from Gillette,Wy was there with the same model 5th wheel that we have.He needed info on his RV,which he bought used (without instructions).
He spent a good bit of time visiting us and talking about Alaska,hunting,trapping,etc.
He had lived in Alaska for about 25 years,working at the coal mine at Healy,north of Denali park.He trapped extensively,using a dog team,during the winter when the mine was closed.His main meal tickets were marten,wolves,and wolverines.
He said that the largest wolf he ever caught weighed 176 lbs (as caught) and was as big as a small pony. He said he had it weighed at a local feed mill and many locals came to see it.He said that this wolf was true monster,as most big wolves weighed less than 125.
The best book I've read is "Alaska's Wolf Man" - the 1915-55 wilderness adventures of Frank Glaser",by Jim Rearden.

Apparently the record for a European wolf was one killed in Russia that weighed 189 pounds.
I believe that there have been a few raised in captivity that exceeded two hundred pounds.

Both Wolves and Dogs can be much larger than their weight would indicate. They are natural born runners so their body is that of a runner more than anything else.
Some breeds of dog are bred for physical strength more than speed and so are bulky compared to the Wolf or a dog that makes its living mainly through speed.

Haven't taken the pics of the dog yet, I got sidetracked doing some maintenance on the house.

I believe that there have been a few raised in captivity that exceeded two hundred pounds.

I saw a guy on TV that weighed 750 pounds.

He too was raised in captivity.

I don't think I'd call him typical.

The average male wolf in Alaska weighs 110 pounds. Anything over 135 is huge. Those that are over 150 are mostly in someone's imagination.

Last edited by a moderator:

When I said "kill them all",I meant "kill all you can".

"Kill them all" means kill them all. People did that in most of the USA in the 1700 and 1800s. Now, there are only a few places wild enough for wolves. Do we have to kill them all there too?

People keep saying wolves are endangered. That's bull. Eletist, excusionary, selfcentered, park scientists want their own pet wolves in their own patch. If there aren't any right there they wet their pants and cry. Same people who can't condone hunting, but will stand ther and watch wolves eat the ass off an elk calf while it is still alive.

Back