Harrington Richardson Model 12 Questions

mrh1958

I am looking at one of the H&R model 12 target rifles thats for sale locally,are these rifles good shooters?,the owner claims it will shoot .250-.300 average at 50 yards with Eley Black box,it has a Ken Viani scope mount installed and the trigger is adjusted to 5 oz .The rifle looks to be on excellent condition inside and out,are these rifles capable of that kind of accuracy?

I have one that shoots pretty well at 100 yds. I've shot it at an ir 50 target & wasn't really impressed. I was using Eley as well. I have never bothered to measure the groups as they're either good or they aren't. I like mine for club matches but wouldn't shoot ir50 with it. Others may differ.
I'll try & post a pic of a 100 yd target I shot a year ago or so to give you an idea. Ofcourse every gun & shooter differ so take it for what it is.
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/392177000/392177593/pix825974648.jpg
Keith
ps It has always amazed me that a rifle can shoot inside an inch at 100yds. & when you try a ir50 target it humbles you.

Last edited:
I have one that shoots pretty well at 100 yds. I've shot it at an ir 50 target & wasn't really impressed. I was using Eley as well. I have never bothered to measure the groups as they're either good or they aren't. I like mine for club matches but wouldn't shoot ir50 with it. Others may differ.
I'll try & post a pic of a 100 yd target I shot a year ago or so to give you an idea. Ofcourse every gun & shooter differ so take it for what it is.
Keith
ps It has always amazed me that a rifle can shoot inside an inch at 100yds. & when you try a ir50 target it humbles you.

Thats quite impressive linekin,thanks for posting that hopefully others will share their experiences with the H&R 12

100 yds!

Keith

Keith: That's an impressive paper for 100yds. I've been a .22 guy all of my life and never shot a group like that at 100. That H&R is a keeper in my book. Id be whackin squirrel's from the tree tops all day with that!!! How ya wintering up there in Maine? Nuf snow for ya? Ed.

Hi Ed!

Keith: That's an impressive paper for 100yds. I've been a .22 guy all of my life and never shot a group like that at 100. That H&R is a keeper in my book. Id be whackin squirrel's from the tree tops all day with that!!! How ya wintering up there in Maine? Nuf snow for ya? Ed.

It is a great shooting rifle at 100. Should have used it today instead of the 52B. Something about that classic iron that draws me to take it though.
Been a long winter! But I don't have to tell you NY guys that! You're used to it! Ready for a change in the weather so we can get some serious testing in. You too? Hope to see you NY guys somewhere this season. I'm sure I will! Take care
Keith

Oh yeah, Ed you had said in another thread you had explained to your eye doctor some of the problems you were having with the targets & he fixed the problem. Think I may have the same problem! What did he find?

eye's

Hey Keith: Aside from being just "old" eyes....I have an astigmatism and far sightedness problems, ( easy now..) yeah Im just talking about my eye problems right now, ok? I cant tell you exactly what he did to make the specific prescription, but I can tell you it was tailored to the distance, scope magnification and even eye relief. The spec's work well at the bench, but really not too good elsewhere. It made a big improvement in my sporter scores at 6.5x., that is what got me thinking about better glasses. The eye doc. I saw is quite good, with modern equipment and new technology. Good luck Keith, Take care...Hope to see you this season. Ed.

same eyes

Hey Keith: Aside from being just "old" eyes....I have an astigmatism and far sightedness problems, ( easy now..) yeah Im just talking about my eye problems right now, ok? I cant tell you exactly what he did to make the specific prescription, but I can tell you it was tailored to the distance, scope magnification and even eye relief. The spec's work well at the bench, but really not too good elsewhere. It made a big improvement in my sporter scores at 6.5x., that is what got me thinking about better glasses. The eye doc. I saw is quite good, with modern equipment and new technology. Good luck Keith, Take care...Hope to see you this season. Ed.

Ed,
I have an astigmatism and far sightedness problems too. I'm going to see if my eye doctor my understand what's going on w/me & 6.5 scopes too.
I've seen your scores Ed & I know whatever he did worked! Your tough to beat! Great gun I know but if one is having troubles seeing if doesn't make much difference. Do you use your special glasses with the higher powered scopes? Thanks for sharing that Ed.

Sorry guys for high jacking the H&R thread!
Keith

Ed,
I have an astigmatism and far sightedness problems too. I'm going to see if my eye doctor my understand what's going on w/me & 6.5 scopes too.
I've seen your scores Ed & I know whatever he did worked! Your tough to beat! Great gun I know but if one is having troubles seeing if doesn't make much difference. Do you use your special glasses with the higher powered scopes? Thanks for sharing that Ed.

Sorry guys for high jacking the H&R thread!
Keith

I have an astigmatism, near sightedness and far sightedness (I guess that means I'm 'bout blind). I wear glasses with progressive lens and can manage to find a spot where I can see everything I need to see. You can't hit what you can't see.

I have had 2 of the M12s, down to one now. They shoot good, not great.With peep sights 198-200 8-12X,
USBR 225-235 5-12X, IR50/50 235-240 8-12X. These were both unaltered. No tuners,shot off bi-pods @50 yards. YMMV

George

Back