Harrell tunner

B

bentrod187

Hi all,
I just joined the forum a few days ago. I have been shooting eggs at 100 yds. at 2 my local clubs, (I belong to 3), but not seriously because I was really into Bullseye pistol but I am having problems with my shooting hand, bullseye is one handed only and I will be 80 this year.. I am becoming more involved in rifle, I have a Savage LRP .260 that I haven't spent too much time with and an older Anchutz 64. I plan on seriously shooting my rifles, so I will start with my older Annie which needs trigger work. So I am asking: should I just a buy a new Anchutz BR 50 or spend time and money on the old 64? i Am thinking about a Harrell tuner, if I use it on my 64 first, which has smaller diameter than the BR 50, and if need be I would be able to re-bore the tunner later for the BR 50.

Question 1) can I install the Harrell tunner myself or will need a gunsmith? I don't have access to a lathe.

Question 2) or should I just get the Anchutz BR 50 and not spend time and money on the older Annie 64?

I have 2 good scopes, a Vortex Viper 6 - 24, and a Nightforce BR 10 -42. I also my studying wind reading and rifle shooting books. Also thinking of a good front rest.

Jim

Hi all,

Question 1) can I install the Harrell tunner myself or will need a gunsmith? I don't have access to a lathe.

If you can accurately measure your barrel to the thousandth you can order a tuner though Killough Shooting Sports bored for your barrel. I think there is a small fee for doing so.

Question 2) or should I just get the Anchutz BR 50 and not spend time and money on the older Annie 64?

="#000080"][/COLOR]Only you can really make that call. If you feel you can out shoot the rifle than I'd say an upgrade may be in order. Y[COLORou may also look at a used custom rifle as opposed the Annie.

I have 2 good scopes, a Vortex Viper 6 - 24, and a Nightforce BR 10 -42. I also my studying wind reading and rifle shooting books. Also thinking of a good front rest.

Jim

Welcome!!!!
Keith

Jim,

I found a new Cooper TPF3 .22 bench gun at Michi-Gun in St. Clair Shores, MI. It is going to be my .22 for local competitions (.22 benchrest & egg shoots). With SK Match it will group inside the '10 ring' on the 50/50 target at 50 yards (of course). I looked at all the competition rifles out there (including the Bleiker) and I drew the conclusion that the Cooper was the rifle. It would have required additional dollars to get the other rifles outfitted to make them 'bag ready'. The Cooper is ready to shoot off of bags - take a look at it on their website. I am very happy with mine and I know that it will serve me well. By the way, I have owned several Anschutz. They are fine rifles for position shooting but not bag ready.

Matt

If you're not going "all in" with a custom build, I'd pick the best rifle I had (based on targets) and work on it little at the time. Try not to buy the cheapest rest you can find....go to a registered match and look around. That's the best money you can spend right now.

I have seen

Jim,

I found a new Cooper TPF3 .22 bench gun at Michi-Gun in St. Clair Shores, MI. It is going to be my .22 for local competitions (.22 benchrest & egg shoots). With SK Match it will group inside the '10 ring' on the 50/50 target at 50 yards (of course). I looked at all the competition rifles out there (including the Bleiker) and I drew the conclusion that the Cooper was the rifle. It would have required additional dollars to get the other rifles outfitted to make them 'bag ready'. The Cooper is ready to shoot off of bags - take a look at it on their website. I am very happy with mine and I know that it will serve me well. By the way, I have owned several Anschutz. They are fine rifles for position shooting but not bag ready.

Matt

A number of very good Coopers that shoot competitively with a little work. Most rifles will need a little work to get the best out of them, bearing in mind that rifles are mostly about the barrel on them and from what I have seen,modern Coopers generally have very good barrels on them.

Pete

A number of very good Coopers that shoot competitively with a little work. Most rifles will need a little work to get the best out of them, bearing in mind that rifles are mostly about the barrel on them and from what I have seen,modern Coopers generally have very good barrels on them.

Pete

Pete, I think you should add that the Cooper barrels you have seen have been massaged though too, right?

Keith

Back