Ham radio operators?

G

gt40

Are any of you gun nuts also ham nuts? :confused:

I've got a question for ya. :)

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this classifies as a ham but I am a serious shortwave listener/collector..have a basement full of old and new radios..do listen to the ham bands..have a couple of wire antennas outside..enjoy playing with this stuff when the shooting season is over( and while reloading too) chris308

Ask away!
Lew you must have passed your General exam as a child.

Ted

The reason I have asked is because I have two complete ham radio sets. One is a Kenwood still in the boxes and a Heathkit which I used to use before my license expired. I have a 10 meter antenna and a Spider which has 6+10+20+40+60 and 160? meters all connected to one central antenna pole. I have talked to other hams many times in Japan and Australia from here in Atlanta, Georgia.

They are really good radios and I do not know if they are used any more since the common use of cell phones and all the satellites today. :confused:

gt40

Ham Radio is alive and flurishing. Check the ARRL site and others. With the no code requirement the questions are not that bad and with the study aids makes getting a ticket easy.
I have had mine since I was about 15 years old.

Maybe we can get a few contacts going between HAM/Benchresters.

Ted

being an electronics junkie, I thought about taking the test since they dropped the code section. Do you still need one of those huge antenna on top of your home? I'm not sure if those are in violation of the housing development agreement. I can see me now, on the laptop chatting, while checking my growing list of gun forums on the desktop, while listening to my scanner, while watching HD tv and talking to people all over the US on my cell phone.........it's almost as bad as my gun addiction!

If any of you HAM guys have the freg. I need to activate on my scanner, I used to listen to the emergency channels during severe weather around here in Western NC.

Thanks

amateur radio

Have been licensed since about 1976 and have the advanced class. Just finished rebulding a heathkit Sb-200
73,s and shoot safe

Did they drop the 20 WPM for Extra? I passed all exams to advanced in one day from Tech with 5 WPM. But the 20 WPM was beyond my hearing capacity.

Quit bragging Al. :D

gt40

PS: I'll try to get some pictures tomorrow. Especially the "Spider" antenna in my attic. It is very cool. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hate to bring this satellite phone thing up, but you know how near impossible it would be to get on twenty meters with the kinda of radio gear you can put in your pocket? No worries if the band is down. To think and remember that it was Ham's that brought all of this technologies to us.

I have found the older we get the more in need of being able to call for help, when out hunting, than what Ham radio can provide. It's a shame because I really did love DX.

The only real do it your self left to Ham radio is antenna building.

I'm another one first licensed in 1967. Still 99% cw only and continue to chase rare dx and contest. Gives me something to do when I cannot see the target frame in the dark. bob finger

Some pictures.

Here are some pictures of my Heathkit and Spider antenna in my attic. The antenna is 6 feet high and fits in my attic without taking up hardly any room. One problem is the fine wires that correspond to every band length thrown in all directions with fishing sinkers attached to the ends so I could throw them. These are supposed to reflect signals up to the antenna. If someone ever fell up there and got tangled in those wires he'd never get out. :eek:

I had to piece the pictures of the spider. If you look closely you can see where the top, middle and bottom is. Each "arm" sticking out is a coil for each different band which can be tuned. :D

The Kenwood (TS 450S)looks very similar to the Heathkit. The picture of the Kenwood is distorted because the camera was so close. It is as brand new and looks like it also. I believe they are both 100 watts.

gt40

After looking at all the "STUFF" maybe I should get a new license. :confused:

Attachments

• radio 2 .jpg
    radio 2 .jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 120
  • spider 1.jpg
    spider 1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 125
  • spider 3.jpg
    spider 3.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 122