H&R Sportsman 999

Joe

Hi guys, been a while since I have posted on this forum.
i realize this is not a benchrest question, but I have had near zero luck with other forums and internet searches looking for help.

I have an H&R sportsman 999 torn down and I am having one hell of a time getting it back together.

Are any of you familiar with assembling this gun?

Thanks
Joe

This might help:

MiJgY1lh.jpg

Thanks Al.
Yes, I have this diagram and I understand where the parts go for assemble.
I cannot for the life of me get part #33 to comply and go home where it's supposed to go.
I guess it's one of those little tricks that everything has.............

Joe, I work on several of those a year. I can't say that I've ever had trouble getting the hand in place though.
What is it doing or not doing for you?
The whole trigger group goes in as an assembly.

Last edited:
Joe, I work on several of those a year. I can't say that I've ever had trouble getting the hand in place though.
What is it doing or not doing for you?
The whole trigger group goes in as an assembly.

By the time I get everything "loaded" and ready to go in to the frame, it just falls apart and I cannot get it to go in place. I had to put it down and walk away from it.

It also seems as though the spring may be a bit too short.......... but the hand was working when I tore the gun down to replace the cylinder stop.

Uuuuuuuggghhhh

"Loaded then falling apart"

How about some grease to hold it together?

When together flush out the grease.

"Loaded then falling apart"

How about some grease to hold it together?

When together flush out the grease.

Great idea!!
Lemme try that. Right now I am frustrated with it and I need to leave it be for a coupla days.
Will let you know when I get back to it

The hand spring should have a bend in it towards it's end. The bend helps with retention as it's placed in position with the other parts.
You can see the bend in the drawing that was posted.

The hand spring should have a bend in it towards it's end. The bend helps with retention as it's placed in position with the other parts.
You can see the bend in the drawing that was posted.

Yes, I can see it in the diagram, and the spring on the hand has the bend in it.
When I try to put it all together it wseems like the spring is just a very small amount too short.
That is puzzling because the hand/cylinder rotation portion of the pistol was working when I took it apart

Is it captured with a pin?

Looking at the diagram, it looked to me like there might be a pin that goes through those three pieces, like # 35 but I'm prolly wrong.

Pete

Back