h-4227

rhaney2

Hogdon says the h-4227 has been discontinued,limited stock.
I guess people will start hording this stuff.

Hodgdon gets H4227 from Australia.

Hodgdon has taken over IMR.

I don't recall where or what I read but I think (??) that new IMR4227 is made in Australia meaning that it is the same (allowing for batch variations) as H4227.

That would be perfectly logical since a whole pile of what Hdgdon sells is from ADI in Australia, seems reasonable that they would keep getting the 4227 (AR2205 over here) and call it IMR instead of H.

I am pretty sure that Jackie had some dealings with the two 4227's.

Hodgdon gets H4227 from Australia.

Hodgdon has taken over IMR.

I don't recall where or what I read but I think (??) that new IMR4227 is made in Australia meaning that it is the same (allowing for batch variations) as H4227.

That would be perfectly logical since a whole pile of what Hdgdon sells is from ADI in Australia, seems reasonable that they would keep getting the 4227 (AR2205 over here) and call it IMR instead of H.

I am pretty sure that Jackie had some dealings with the two 4227's.

It does make sense to drop one as they had both.

Roger, I just did a quick google and robbed this from another site:

" Can anyone shed light on this issue, as I may want to stalk up?
The reply is thus:
The product name H 4227 has been discontinued. All future lots of IMR 4227 will be manufactured by ADI in Australia. It will look about the same as the old IMR 4227 but will have the advantage of being unaffected by changes in temperature like the Hodgdon line of Extruded Powders.

Within the next year or so ADI will also begin manufacturing IMR 4198. It of course will also be unaffected by changes in temperature. To the best of my knowledge H4198 in it's current form will continue in the Hodgdon Line.

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company "

Roger, I just did a quick google and robbed this from another site:

" Can anyone shed light on this issue, as I may want to stalk up?
The reply is thus:
The product name H 4227 has been discontinued. All future lots of IMR 4227 will be manufactured by ADI in Australia. It will look about the same as the old IMR 4227 but will have the advantage of being unaffected by changes in temperature like the Hodgdon line of Extruded Powders.

Within the next year or so ADI will also begin manufacturing IMR 4198. It of course will also be unaffected by changes in temperature. To the best of my knowledge H4198 in it's current form will continue in the Hodgdon Line.

Mike Daly
Customer Satisfaction Manager
Hodgdon Powder Company/ IMR Powder Company "

The Hodgdon web site states discontinued,stocks limited,also hs6 or hs 7

What I was meaning Roger was that future IMR4227 will be made by ADI in Australia and will be an extreme powder.

That means that Aussie made IMR4227 will just be H4227 in a different bottle.

I guess it is a PR move, no need to have both and looks a bit heavy handed to take over IMR and then start killing off the powders.

To be certain just look at where it is made Canada it is the old stuff, Austalia it is new and same as H4227, maybe email Hodgdon and IMR and ask ??

Bryce

Last edited by a moderator:
What I was meaning Roger was that future IMR4227 will be made by ADI in Australia and will be an extreme powder.

That means that Aussie made IMR4227 will just be H4227 in a different bottle.

I guess it is a PR move, no need to have both and looks a bit heavy handed to take over IMR and then start killing off the powders.

To be certain just look at where it is made Canada it is the old stuff, Austalia it is new and same as H4227, maybe email Hodgdon and IMR and ask ??

Bryce

Thats fine,the other company killed off n-120 so it;s back to imr 4227 or what ever it is to be.

Roger

Here is what we found out from actually shooting the stuff in our 30PPC's.
The first can we bought was at a Gun Show, and it was in an originol Hogdon can, and was marked H4227. It shot very well at about 27.8 grns behind a BIB 112.
We then found out that the only thing we could get was IMR4227. It was not in the regular IMR cans that we all recognize, but was in that black Hogdon Bottle, with what looked like a IMR sticker stuck on it, (crooked, no doubt).. It said "made in Canada." It was about 2.5 to 3 grns slower than the originol. More like N120.
Then we aquired some new IMR4227 that was made in Australia. It was a carbon copy of the originol Hogdon that we first started with, in looks and burn rate. This is what we are shooting now.
When using this powder in a case such as the 30PPC, BE VERY CAREFUL. Go up in .1 increments, as it will go from just right to primers falling out with a very small increase.
Don't buy into that propaganda about this stuff not being sensitive to condition changes. If you are at the top of the window at 60 degrees, you had better go down a little at 80 degrees, or the Rifle will let you know real quick. We have found this out the old fashion way. By actually shooting it.
I hope this helps........jackie

Here is what we found out from actually shooting the stuff in our 30PPC's.
The first can we bought was at a Gun Show, and it was in an originol Hogdon can, and was marked H4227. It shot very well at about 27.8 grns behind a BIB 112.
We then found out that the only thing we could get was IMR4227. It was not in the regular IMR cans that we all recognize, but was in that black Hogdon Bottle, with what looked like a IMR sticker stuck on it, (crooked, no doubt).. It said "made in Canada." It was about 2.5 to 3 grns slower than the originol. More like N120.
Then we aquired some new IMR4227 that was made in Australia. It was a carbon copy of the originol Hogdon that we first started with, in looks and burn rate. This is what we are shooting now.
When using this powder in a case such as the 30PPC, BE VERY CAREFUL. Go up in .1 increments, as it will go from just right to primers falling out with a very small increase.
Don't buy into that propaganda about this stuff not being sensitive to condition changes. If you are at the top of the window at 60 degrees, you had better go down a little at 80 degrees, or the Rifle will let you know real quick. We have found this out the old fashion way. By actually shooting it.
I hope this helps........jackie

I found all the extreme powders to be that way.
h-322 is too hot for the 6ppc,n-120 is pretty good in the 30 br and i might try some aa-1680.

Back