Gunsmith Lathe?

Ok, so who is Butch Lambert & how do I contact him?
Thanks

Ok, so who is Butch Lambert & how do I contact him?
Thanks

If you go to the home page for this site you will see a box on the left listing Categories. Select Accessories and scroll down till you see Shadetree Engineering. Select that and then click on the "Contact us" tab and you will see all the contact info for Butch Lambert. Butch is a close friend of Shelley's and is handling the dispostion of some of Shelley's "stuff"

Last edited:
Have you priced a domestic small lathe recently?

The Hardinge toolroom lathes start at about twice the price of the South Bend.

So yes, 7-10x is probably actually understating the situation. Unless you know some manufacturing secret that has escaped the notice of Hardinge and South Bend.

fwiw,
I would concur with the Gentlemen who strongly doubted the 7-10x figure on an American Made Lathe. After Graduating from The Colorado School of Trades I found the toughest task has been finding a lathe that is both appropriate for chambering, threading, and trueing as well as NOT being made in the Eastern Rim...

You mention the price of the Hardinge HLVH. True that machine retails for a little less than $50K for a 9x18" class machine. That said comparing the capabilities of a Hardinge HLV(or a Monarch 10EE) to anything coming from Grizzly or Jet is strictly apple and oranges. The capability of the HLV to hold tolerance is beyond most folks mastery of metrology...(including mine)

Take Vertical Mills for instance. Compare a new Hardinge/Bridgeport Series 1 mill to whatever Enco Imports are available. I happen to be fairly familiiar with this as I took delivery of a New Hardinge/Bridgeport Series One Milling Machine with a Three Axis Newall DRO, Kurt D688 w/swivel base, from MSC in April. Absolutely beautiful machine. Delivered from Atlanta my machine ran slightly less than 3x what a new Enco, or insert name here, Mill with an off brand DRO runs on special for... Delivery charges not included. It took a good while to write the check, however, we have only one manual mill still Made in The United States of America. In no way do I regret the price differential. Nor do I regret buying NEW Hardinge Collets, Herman Schmidt Edge Finders, Interapid Indicators, the EZ-Tram, or any of the dozens of other items that make the mill fully functional...

I will say that if we in this country do not to support what LITTLE INDUSTRY IS ACTUALLY LEFT we will be in sadder shape than we are in the near future...

If LeBlond or whatever American Company made an American Made 14x40 Gear Head lathe and could set it up for 25-30K the check would have been in the mail long ago. I've looked at the HAAS TL-2... Unfortunately we have FEW choices due to folks buying cheaper imports and failing to support domestic industry. That said if someone would build a world class product they would have my business...

Had it not been for the Dollars slide I would have bought a Weiler/Monarch 514. Just cannot see doing enough barrel work to justify a $60K manual lathe. That said I may cross that bridge if something else does not come available...

Respectfully, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

fwiw,
I would concur with the Gentlemen who strongly doubted the 7-10x figure on an American Made Lathe. After Graduating from The Colorado School of Trades I found the toughest task has been finding a lathe that is both appropriate for chambering, threading, and trueing as well as NOT being made in the Eastern Rim...

Respectfully, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

It is refreshing to read a post by someone who is really interested in putting American quality first over cheap Chicom imports.

I wish you well and I think you will do well because you will put the quality of your work first too..

Mr Sharrett,
Thank you for the kind words...

Regards, Matt Garrett
757-581-6270

Greed breeds stupidity

Mr Pastor,

Thank you for sharing this very profound explanation...I am 53 and a lot of things just don't fall into place within my grey matter. Your statement has allowed me to enter thousands of pieces into the puzzle of understanding me and others.

I was so moved by your statement, I joined your forum just to write you this!

Now go shoot!

Blackbrush

Back to gunsmith lathes

Oh, yeah, speaking of gunsmith lathes, there's a South Bend Heavy 10 that looks like it's been beautifully restored on this site for $2800, which is a deal I'd go after if I didn't already have one and it's quite a ways from me. There are also three used Grizzlys on eBay right now and I think the highest bid so far on any of them is around $1,500.
Cheers,
Z

gunsmith lathe

I ordered the Grizzly gunsmith lathe the other day. They quoted me a November ship date. I am impatiently waiting! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
My NEW Lathe

I just received this lathe I ordered from ENCO. It is on special this month and the 319-9734 comes with a 3HP motor, foot brake and all the extras. It weighs almost 500 lbs more than the small Grizzly and is a full 13x40. This month you get a FREE Anilam Wizzard, Americam made, DRO and FREE FREIGHT. The price is on SPECIAL too at $4,295.95.

I have checked out lathes new and used for months, I even went to the Grizzly store in PA and I live in FL. I had the small Grizzly gunsmith on order and wouldn't have had it until Nov, their DROs are back ordered to late Nov too. I cancelled it. This lathe is WAYYYYYYYYYYY more bang for the buck so I got one, which is in stock, at least right now. I am really happy with this lathe and even though the specs say the spindel bore is 1 7/16 it is actually just over 1 1/2 when you measure it. Also the spindel length is 18 in from the outboard end to the MT5 flange so you can easily get a LV barrel from a spider to a chuck or second spider.

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it correctly. Any of you gurus live is South FL and want to give lathe lessons ?????????

Here is the link to check it out, I'd be interested to get your comments and suggestions.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPAGE?PMPAGE=/specials/308-0233

All my best, AL

Last edited:
new lathe

My new lathe will be arriving at my house in November. I have a problem though. I am only planning on staying at this house for another year or so. I don't particularly want to spend a whole bunch of money on a shop for just a year. I wouldn't mind buying a portable building that I can take with me and just bracing/blocking the building temporarily until I get into my new house and have a more permanent place to put it. Any suggestions on temporary shop plans? Thanks in advance. JT

Snommitti, A 20' container would make an excellent portable shop, provided your neighborhood could stand the ugly thing in your yard.

Here's to the melting pot..

Having different opinions is always a challenge.:eek:

I don't think anyone can agree with hostilities/atrocities whether they originate from one country or this country.

I would love to make my wife happy right now but that is going to be something we will have to work out...again.:rolleyes:

I know though Gunsmith types have fun working on guns. :)

It is a blessing to work on a lathe/mill when it is a labor of love.

I wish we can all have that enjoyment. :D

Right on Matt in Va!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said it all, buy quality, invest in value and get what ya pay for, Amen brother.

Back