Gunsmith for a living

Vern

Morethan1waytoskinacat
History:
I am now 53

Many years ago, when I was early 20's I moved to Trinidad Colo. to go to gunsmithing school on the GI bill to fulfill my dream occupation. However at the time I was not willing to work in the coal mines and could not make a living to support my family.
So I came back home to Texas.

Since then I have watched and looked around. It seems that most Gunsmiths have to have a regular full time job in order to make ends meet and that Gunsmithing is more of a part time job. Some of the others that do it full time have a gig with an existing gun shop and dont seem to make that much. (no offense intended)

The one here in my area is that way.

THE QUESTION IS....
If I were to try and go to school for it again is it very likely in most areas that you can make a good living at it or is it still for most the part time thing that requires another full time job in order to pay the lions share of the bills?????

A 1 man shop ? With the time it takes for setups,doing the job itself,checking,rechecking,cleanup,cost of tooling, machines I'd say it's a looooong row to hoe. But as a part time job/hobby doing what you enjoy that has benifits also.

Yes it would have its benifits.
At this point I know very little about machining so it would be a short learning curve for me.
I know that well known and named gunsmiths have 6 months worth of work but how long does it take to get to that point.
In my current profession we have 2-3 months worth of work on the books most times. But I no longer own a business but run them profitably for others.
Just wondered if I could do what was really heart felt or just blowing in the wind and should just keep shooting and enjoying others.

It's a well known fact that most gunsmiths are millionaires and Benchrest Gunsmiths are gazzilionaires.:)

Well now your right about that.
Look at Mike B., Butch L., Speedy, Paul D., and others I wont even impose upon....
Im getting scared.
I know that rep makes a big diff, but how do you get a rep without many many many years of experience.... years I dont have left.....

Vern,
Unless you have a fruit jar full of gold buried somewhere, it will be a long haul. You will have a huge upfront cost in tooling and machines, a shop to put it in, insurance, and utilities.
If you really have that burning desire in your belly, start purchasing what you will need while still working. Definitely do it part time until your gunsmithing makes you more than your full time job. Cheechako is right, jump in and get rich.
Butch

I know some really good Gunsmiths that were terrible businessmen. I personally know two who sort of left town at midnight, leaving more than one customer, well less say, a little dis-satisfied.

Remember, there are two ends to a money making endevour. The manufacturing end, and the business end........jackie

Last edited:
Something most overlook is insurance coverage. A good hospitalization plan for a 53 yr old with family is costing 3000.00 per mo. these days. I just went through this with my business. Business ins is no different, you really need to find out just what it will cost to protect your butt and not go on what someone else says they get away with. You may find working with firearms a rather difficult venue to be comfortably covered. My business insurance is borderline outrageous, and it's full of fine print that basically says, no guns,airplanes, motorsports, explosives,..ladders, yadayadayada.

Jackie,

Your point is a very good one. I know a gunsmith that left a town in Texas and moved out of the state with the money I had paid in full for 3 benchrest rifles. His decision not to build my rifles (or even order all the components) and not immediately refund my money is not debatable. My decision to pay him in advance for 3 rifles is debatable. I feel very fortunate that I got my money back about a year later. I think the fact that he left a "reputable" gunsmithing business to pursue another career says a lot about the riches to be made. Of course, I know nothing about his circumstances other than the difficulties they caused me.

Ryan

Last edited:
Im not sure what the cost of school is in trinidad, but i went to the trade school in Lakewood, Co and it cost me 30k. I have been working as a full time gunsmith in South Dakota for 6 years. The company i work for is very successful and provides excellent health insurance for my family. Starting out things were very tight and have been getting better since. I had the opportunity to be mentored by a well known smith in west central Minnesota and that has helped me a ton. The learning curve just starting out and has been valuable along with advise from some that have posted on thread. I can say that the job I had before going to smith school was 3x as profitable what I make now? All being said I would not trade building rifles for another hour of sitting in an excavator.

Kyle

How to make a million dollars in the gunsmithing business?

Start with ten million ..........

Tough business.......

Jackie,
Do you remember the Houston gunsmith that got a lot of help from one of your buddies? He doesn't show up at the BR matches anymore, but is taking in money again in the Waco-Belton area. He sure left a bunch of very unhappy customers.
Butch

Guys out here on the left coast have been doing a similar thing for years with farms.

A lot of midwestern farmboys have moved out here, made some money and turned around and sunk it into farms "back home."

It's called "farming 'til you run out of money."

I'm gonna' gunsmith 'til I run out of money.

Because I love it.

And because no one's doing what I intend to do

:)

al

Yes, Butch, when he skipped town, rarely a day went by that I didn't get a call asking if I knew anything about what was going on.

When they finally openned his shop, it was just like he stood up one day and decided to leave. No forwarding address.

I have heard of his whereabouts off and on, and you are right, some people would still like to have a "personal" conversation with him...........jackie

He still owes me for 4 stainless BR barrel blanks. I will say after selling shooting products for 10yrs., he is the only one that has stiffed me.
Butch

Vern
Location Location Location Out west we are paying $360 to get a barrel put on and $350 for a pillar bedding job.Yes we can ship it out for $250 but the postage with insurance is $60 each way.
You get a good reputation by building good rifles without cutting corners.You lose your good reputation when you quote 7 weeks on a gun then spend 18 months making excuses.

Butch
Do I know that gunsmith? We were looking for Mustang parts and almost flew into his hometown airport to pick them up.Glad we never met in person.
Lynn

Something most overlook is insurance coverage. A good hospitalization plan for a 53 yr old with family is costing 3000.00 per mo. these days. I just went through this with my business. Business ins is no different, you really need to find out just what it will cost to protect your butt and not go on what someone else says they get away with. You may find working with firearms a rather difficult venue to be comfortably covered. My business insurance is borderline outrageous, and it's full of fine print that basically says, no guns,airplanes, motorsports, explosives,..ladders, yadayadayada.
Well its going to affordable with Obamma Care

I think the best way to slide into any new profession is to start small.

Example: Instead of going out and buying a lathe, buy a nice set of wood chisels, drill press and etc. to inlet and pillar bed gun stocks for a year or two. Take machining classes at local community college. Take the one week NRA rebarrel class at Trinidad.

After awhile convert your garage into a small workshop, get a local business license, get a FFL. Have the wife to the paperwork....hopefully!

Contact local gun shops and pass out business cards detailing your expertise. Go shoot at matches, meet people that need work done, advertise on benchrest.com

Just my opinion but it seems most of the best gunsmiths specialize. Like doctors, pick one thing you are good at and like to do. Maybe do machining (rebarrels, action work) only, engraving or custom stock work.

I'm a full time machinist and stand on my feet all day long. It does not get any easier with age....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back