Gun Selection for Beginner?

T

Tom Wayte

I am considering buying a target gun and thinking about the Anschutz 64 MP R.
Is this a reasonable choice or should I consider something else?
Please provide your opinion?
Thanks, Tom

It's not a bench gun. There are better choices for the same money.

I am considering buying a target gun and thinking about the Anschutz 64 MP R.
Is this a reasonable choice or should I consider something else?
Please provide your opinion?
Thanks, Tom

What kind of "target gun" are you looking for? Benchrest, three position, prone or what? Many better choices than an Anschutz 64.

What are the other choices for a beginner rifle?

I mentioned I was considering purchasing a Anschutes Model 64 MP R.
I got messages saying there were other choices, however, no one said what the choices are.
Looking for a gun doing informal competition, at the local gun club, off the bench. The rifle does not have to be a bench rest gun.
Price range approx. $1000.
Looking fordward for some input.
Thanks, Tom

A used 54 action, a used 52, a used 40X, a used 37 (not likely) would all be a better choice than a new 64.

I agree with Don, find a used Remington 40X or a 54 Anschutz. They are good for beginning, hold their value, easy to get a good benchrest stock for them, 40X will need a Jewell trigger, make sure the 54 has the great 2 stage trigger. Then when you are ready, you can put an aftermarket barrel on them.

Hi Tom,

I'm new to the BR game but was looking for the same as you. Not aspiring to the giddy heights of the top levels.:eek:

I had been looking for a rifle for about 6 months (not as much choice here in Aust) when I found a Win 52D. It was just over half the price of a new Anschutz 64MPR, which I was also considering. I'm absolutely wrapt with the rifle. Still having a ball finding which ammo it likes, but the journey is half the fun.:D

I was on the verge of buying a CZ 453 varmint when the Win came along.;)

Here's a pic. She is in awsome condition for a 1962 gun. (yes the barrel is shortened by the previous owner)

Winnie2-1.jpg

Just a quick summery of my journey thus far, hope it helps some.

Cheers,

Nigel

I have an Anschutz 54 match with both the original wood 1411 stock and a new Kelbly fiberglass bench stock. It also has two Limbsaver vibration dampers that work quite well. The trigger is an older model with an 8 ounce pull that can be altered at minimal cost to 2 ounces.

I'd part with the rifle and both stocks, without the scope, for $1,000. That rifle has won several matches for it's prior owner. I bought it as an extra rifle, but my other rifle is shooting so well that I don't need to work with this one.

The scope is an older Leupold 36x with crosshairs that's very nice. I'd sell that for what I paid for it used a few years ago...$320.

These items have not been offered for sale anywhere, but I like to see people get into the game, so the offer is being made to you. Satisfaction is guaranteed! (Must be sold through a dealer.)

John Picher

Attachments

• DSCN0864.jpg
    DSCN0864.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 395
  • DSCN0865.jpg
    DSCN0865.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 346
Response to gun for a beginner

Thank you for all of your responses regarding a "gun for a beginner". After considering the comments and some research I plan to buy a new Anschutes with the model 54 action.
Bennie DaBlade - nice gun.
Pincer - thanks for the offer but I am going new.
Tom Wayte

Back