Gun Clubs with card reader gates?

Yellowstone Rifle Club in Billings installed a card reader operated electric gate last year, and after some fiddling with the machine that codes the cards (I think) finally got it into full operation late last year. VERY HANDY, much better than fiddling with a padlock that may or may not be cooperative, and if the weather is lousy you don't have to stand in the rain or snow to open and close the gate.

Don't know how much it cost, but it was worth it IMHO.

I especially like the gate at ARC. I am able to bypass it with a small earth magnet.
Ted

Yes but not all only the ones that trip a relay by reversing polarity or removing or adding a magnetic field to actually activate or deactivate the lock to open/close the door or gate.
So I am really not defeating the sensor/reader only the mechanism that allows the door to open or close.

One thing that is a real consideration is.................

LIGHTNING STRIKES !! :eek:

They can eat a bunch of circuit boards in a season, and that will get expensive....

Grounding didn't seem to work well, a hit anywhere on the fence seemed to act as a racetrack right back to the board in the reader.

One even came up the wire from the reader and blew the computer that kept all the records.

I'm not an electrician, and this was some time ago, but this was what the members were told at the different meetings, concerning the different outages.

Maybe equipment is better now....

I've installed several proximity lock systems at self-storage facilities over the past 8 years or so. I've had experience with one failing, and that was a less than $300 repair (parts). They are not difficult to install, and they can be had for very little money if you don't want to interface to a PC to track data. Though, Id almost go so far as to say, why bother if you don't.

Regardless what you use, locks are for honest people. I don't think there are many in gun club price ranges that are infallible. The interfacing to PCs is really nice. Also, if you set it up correctly, you can admin the thing from anywhere, allowing or disallowing access via the web.

Many of the low end system parts can be had on ebay. Other than that, the security industry is basically price-controlled, so they all pool together to put the boots to ya. Without their ludicrous install fees, they won't sell, etc. And then they wonder why America is the way it is... The free trade economy doesn't work with cartels, just ask anyone buying gas or oil.

Back