Gun Clubs with card reader gates?

Bill Wynne

I understand that some gun clubs have installed gates with proximity card readers. This sounds like an interesting idea.

Does anyone have any experience with gun club gates that work like this?

I understand that some gun clubs have installed gates with proximity card readers. This sounds like an interesting idea.

Does anyone have any experience with gun club gates that work like this?

Yes, the Austin Rifle Club outside Manor, Tx., has had a gate with a proximity reader for several years now. Works great. Each member has a membership card with their membership information on it which opens the gate when swiped past the reader from the drivers side of a vehicle. This system contains data as to how many times a member has opened the gate, and length of time stayed. It also has a provision for certain members such as match directors to input a code that leaves the gate open until the code is re-entered. This is used for matches or a club event that requires the gate remain open so non members can enter. This system makes it very easy for the membership director to cancel a members ability to open the gate if they are no longer a member by simply removing their data from the computer.

This system makes it much easier to enter the club rather than get out of a vehicle and open a gate with a combination lock and re close it.

virg

Thanks Virg,

That photo of the card reader on the web site is a big help.

Do you know anything about the initial and ongoing cost of the system?

Bill

Thanks Virg,

That photo of the card reader on the web site is a big help.

Do you know anything about the initial and ongoing cost of the system?

Bill

Don't quote me on this but I think it was about $8500. You can call Ken Kornblum @ 512 258 2684 for full details. He was the membership director that instituted it.

virg

Unaka Rod and Gun Club in Johnson City Tn. has had one for about the past 20 years, we just recently replaced the gate operator but are still using the same card readers.

Kettlefoot Club in Bristol Va. has a keypad operated gate same deal just uses a 4 digit code instead of a card reader. I put theirs in about a year ago.

Call Scott Pieper at Benchrest Rifle Club of St. Louis to get an idea of the cost of our latest gate. We have three.

Bill, talk to Mike Conry as Midland Shooters Association has had their card reader gate for 3 to 4 years now. I for one, love it!

Brad

Cedar Valley Consevation Club has one (Austin ,Mn.). They got theirs thru Honeywell (donated /outdated system for them). As mentioned the added security features (time in/out/duration/X accessed) etc are a great feature especially if something (Happens). The cards can be somewhat fragile (a cluttered billfold is NOT the place to keep it (the card bends and the internal chip BREAKS). The gate can be programmed for length of time open to close or STAY open, plus a traffic mode that allows the gate to stay open as long as (Traffic) is passing thru the sensors during the open/close delay (each vehicle resets the delay), it also has the BUMP feature so as not to crush anyone/thing. Excellent system a small lap top comp is all it takes to run it (Win 98 I believe is all ours has)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

I now know just enough to get in trouble but I plan to learn a lot more. It is surprising how many clubs across the country are using these types of entry ways. I believe this is in the future for many more gun clubs. There are several ways this technology can help the clubs and their members.

Thanks again,

Bill Wynne

Card Readers

We at the Beloit Rifle Club are going thru process rite now.The stystem has many advantages.Relibality is the question.

1 more item. This same system also tracks memberships for the club. Each card is numbered (stamped/molded in)and asigned to a member, when dues are up (Dec 31) the card is invalidated (automaticly) until the member pays and is reentered. I'm not sure what they actually cost but the club charges $10 for lost/broken card replacement.

Last edited:
Bill Larson, We've had our system 8-9 yrs now with only minor maintenance issues (bearings on the rollers/need grease appropriate for climate etc.) link in chain broke (just minor stuff). As for the system itself, the club made semi enclosed portals (open box from steel)for the scan modules and there hasn't been any issues with that. Distance to the club house from the gate (for running wire burried/overhead may or may not be an issue depending on distance for you.

Unaka Rod and Gun Club in Johnson City Tn. has had one for about the past 20 years, we just recently replaced the gate operator but are still using the same card readers.

Kettlefoot Club in Bristol Va. has a keypad operated gate same deal just uses a 4 digit code instead of a card reader. I put theirs in about a year ago.

And the Cherokee Rod & Gun Club in Kingsport, just about 25 miles to the South of these clubs has a slot type card reader. The unique thing about Cherokee's reader(s) is that they have 2 readers. One about 3' off the ground for cars and one about 4' off the ground for taller vehicles. both on the same post. http://cherokeerodandgunclub.com/

A Texas club might want to consider a 2 reader post since I hear some Texicans drive 4WD pickups.

Yes, we are fortunate enough to have 4 large gun clubs in the Tri-City (Bristol. Kingsport and Johnson City. TN/VA) area.

And the Cherokee Rod & Gun Club in Kingsport, just about 25 miles to the South of these clubs has a slot type card reader. The unique thing about Cherokee's reader(s) is that they have 2 readers. One about 3' off the ground for cars and one about 4' off the ground for taller vehicles. both on the same post. http://cherokeerodandgunclub.com/

A Texas club might want to consider a 2 reader post since I hear some Texicans drive 4WD pickups.

Yes, we are fortunate enough to have 4 large gun clubs in the Tri-City (Bristol. Kingsport and Johnson City. TN/VA) area.

Jerry, That is one of the best websites of any gun club that I have seen. Very informative and artful.

About the height. Us Texans can reach up from our cars or reach down from our horses, but thanks for the consideration.

Concho Bill

Jerry, That is one of the best websites of any gun club that I have seen. Very informative and artful.

About the height. Us Texans can reach up from our cars or reach down from our horses, but thanks for the consideration.

Concho Bill

Being modest as I am, I did not design the web page but I did design and build most of the ranges. I spent 28 weekends at that club one year with a crew building ranges.

You guys are still riding HORSES?

(At Cherokee the horse would be not be required to have a pass card because if you will note on the web site since it is a family membership.)

BTW, our Kettlefoot club even has a blog and a forum!!

http://www.kettlefootgunclub.org/

http://kettlefootgun.forummotion.com/

Last edited:
At our range where we have about 300 membership the 4 digit keypad seems to work quite well. Every year we change the code so any member not renewing can not enter after Feb 1 all of this without making new cards just informing through e mail. Richard

Being modest as I am, I did not design the web page but I did design and build most of the ranges. I spent 28 weekends at that club one year with a crew building ranges.

You guys are still riding HORSES?

(At Cherokee the horse would be not be required to have a pass card because if you will note on the web site since it is a family membership.)

BTW, our Kettlefoot club even has a blog and a forum!!

http://www.kettlefootgunclub.org/

http://kettlefootgun.forummotion.com/

Jerry, You guys did a great job on your range. I am glad to hear that your club will accept horses as family. Skipper will be glad to hear it too when I tell him tomorrow morning.

Concho Bill (I like to use that handle when I am pulling someone's leg.)

Back