Group vs. Score

greg

I would be interested in hearing from long time group shooters who have been shooting some NBRSA score of late. I have shot only socre for last 11 years, no group in Maine. The issue some of us wrestle with is the lack of explination of why we can shoot X after X in the sighter then see some X's slip away as we move around the 5 bull target. Have any of you experienced this? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Tks --Greg

Hi Greg,
I shoot both. And it might be a front rest issue. I upgraded to a Farley. Really like it.
I noticed, that if I move 1/2-1" on target. I have to slide gun back and forth. Maybe the front is too tight. But, if I forget. And my POA has moved.....
I had this with my other rest. It's just a return to battery thing. You wouldn't think it would matter with the Farley.
And most times it's good to go. But, ya get in a hurry......
Yesterday. Had some out of the group. Instead of pulling bullets for a change. I shot them at the sighter. When ya do that. You should not look at the sighter. Then you are really confused. Sighters went in the group. Some people say ya just wasted a good group.
Man it's a tough sport.

Moving from bull to bull can definitely introduce some problems. I think this is why the rimfire guys created the one piece rest.

When I first started I had a problem where I would drop a point on a specific target. I would shoot some sighters, then move to the left and shoot bull #1 first and then move up to the next two and then move to the right and shoot bull #4 and dropped a shot 2 or 3 times in a 100/200 match. The dropped shots also went to the exact same spot in the 9 ring down towards 7 or 8 o'clock. I was shooting a 6BR at the time.

The week after the match I was crying over my targets and saw the pattern. It was obviously a bag or rest problem. I altered the order I shot the targets in, got a better rear bag, got a joy stick rest, got more experience, got a 30, always take a bit of care making sure the rifle is not canted......

Sometimes shooting fast can help you shoot great scores but sometimes you miss a flag that has moved on you. Sometimes the mirage is messing with you. I am now trying to be more deliberate.

I have been making as many of our NBRSA Varmint for Score Matches as possible. I have cut back on a few Group Shoots to make room.

I use exactly the same Bench Equipment in both, in fact, I shoot score the same way I do group. I strive to keep the Rifle shooting at a sub.200 level, and hunt and pick the condition just as I do in group.

I do not seem to have problems going up and down the target, most shooters who do are probably shooting a Rifle that is a tad out of tune. Popped shots are really more of an indictaion that the Rifle is not quite right than anything else. Most shooters prefer to put the blame elsewhere, because just as in group, one of the more difficult things in Benchrest Shooting, whether it be Score or Group, is keeping the Rifle working through the entire agg.

You want to see how well your Score Rifle really shoots?? Go shoot some Registered Group Matches with it.

One thing you find with the 30's is they tend to show more verticle dispersion when going from left to right, or visa-versa. In a group Rifle, it doesn't matter that much, because all of the bullets might still go together if the condition is the same direction. But, in Score, if you are sighted for a right to left, and are forced to shoot a reversal, you can get as much verticle as side to side. Even though you hit the side to side perfect, you might might miss the verticle hold, and miss the X.

I have talked to a few veteran Group Shooters who are giving Score a try, and they have found that the run and gun method that has become so successful in Group does not transfer to Score. They are being forced to actually read the conditions, rather than simply wait on a let-up and bang five shots down range in 20 seconds. The fact that you have to take the time to move up that target does force a shooter to adapt.

My style of shooting probably lends its self to Score more than Group, although I have enjoyed a reasonable amount of success in both..........jackie

Back