green laser

J

jazzy

I have been wanting to try one of those green laser sights to assist setting up wind flags. It came in today and I hope it is gonna work out good. I have not done much with it yet as I seem to have the flu or sinus infection. It seems to be strong enough for the task at hand but is very hard to get pointed at the right spot. I think it will require mounting to a cheap scope to assist in putting it on the target.
If anyone has one of these I would like to hear any advice you may have for its use and maybe some pictures.

Thanks

Green Laser

Jazzy,
I wouldn't take for mine. Bought mine off of a friend. It is my favorite Benchrest toy! It sure makes it easy to set flags. This one has a 3x9 scope on it to help line it up. It is mounted on a square piece of aluminum. If you will send me your email, I will take a few pictures of it and send them to you. I bugged Jerry Hensler all weekend at the Buffalo Shoot(Midland, Texas) a few years ago until he sold it to me, I think just to shut me up! :D

Best,

Dan Batko

"Where are we going and why am I in this basket?"

just

I have been wanting to try one of those green laser sights to assist setting up wind flags. It came in today and I hope it is gonna work out good. I have not done much with it yet as I seem to have the flu or sinus infection. It seems to be strong enough for the task at hand but is very hard to get pointed at the right spot. I think it will require mounting to a cheap scope to assist in putting it on the target.
If anyone has one of these I would like to hear any advice you may have for its use and maybe some pictures.

Thanks

hope no one gets a good shot of it in the eye while setting their flags!

No you will need at least 30 mw of power. I have one that is 100 mw that is much better and still a bit challenged at 200 in daylight. The dispersion is very important too if you don't want the "dot" to be 2 feet across at 200. A good one will be 4" or so at that distance. You pay for tighter. Heat dissipation is very important as well. A pen type is designed to be cycled on and off to avoid overheating. One minute on and one minute off is typical. Lab type lasers have large heat sinks and can run continuously. They are more appropriate for this use. A reasonable size can be purchased for around 100-200 dollars with about 85 mw of power. I think Dan's is 30 mw if I remember correctly. It struggles a bit in broad daylight.

There is a danger to unprotected eyes. Close up. 100 mw will cause permanent damage in a verrrry short period of time. My 100 mw green will make you move away if you point it at the back of your hand. My 200 mw red will burn black objects and will pop black balloons.

Thanks for all the info RM

So is there a number of Milliwatts that will work out to 200 yards, that is also safe?

According to the Phd at thier lab the one I purchased was tested by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol out to 700 yards in daylight conditions. The dot size is 14" @ 700 yrds, 5" @ 300 yrds, 3" @ 200 yrds and 1" @ 100 yrds.
Mine is 15-25 mw and come with a seperate atennucap to reduce it to 5 mw.

jazzy
i would really be interested in hearing how your green laser does in sunlight with the 5 mw attenuator on it. i am quite sure it will do fine with it off. a 5 mw red will not work past 50 yd in sunlight. if i wait till the sun goes down it will reach 200y easy. 5 mw is considered eye safe and has not damaged my eyes [ and i have had considerable testing to make sure i could not sue my employer over laser damage] dont take a chance with the 20 mw however.

Has anyone tried using one of those as a mirage indicator? Since the mirage "bends" the image of the target coming to the shooter it should also bend the laser going to the target making the image of the dot move on the target - giving the shooter some indication of where exactly he's seeing.

I'm making (and selling) a delrin mount with a green laser and a rail for standard 1" or 30mm rings for a scope. All attached to a aluminum plate for a base. What I have found is that I can use the laser to set flags out to about 50 yards, then just line up on the flags beyond that. The beam basically disappears unless you look right into it (NOT recommended, but a momentary hit at 80-200 yards probably won't blind you). The 5mw green lasers work, but there is definitely a variation in quality and beam dispersion.

It is a blast to set your flags in the dark!!

Rod Brown

Jazzy-
I got mine from the same place but actually went to their shop, which is in an old condo complex. The phd is actually the owner. He tested mine before he sold it to me. I bought several from him. An 85 mwatt lab laser in green, a 100 mwatt green pen laser and a 200 mwatt red pen laser. They are lots of fun. They are stunning at night.

Well we tested it today and found it pretty much useless. At 100 yards the dot is about 4" and dim. We talked to a tech at the manufacturer and he said we could return it and he would send a higher power. We explained to him what we would use it for and he said 25 nw is not enough. I am ready to scrap the project but my shooting partner wants to keep going with it. If it can't be used safely I want no part of it.
However I would like to hear about others expiences with them.

Just a quick thought,,, How about using a small flashlight with an long extended small diameter tube such that a fellow can just bend down a look directly into little white light at the end of the tunnel. You can buy those open ended plastic clip style holders for quick mount onto the scope tube or barrel. Harmless enough, cheap, and simple.

Has anyone tried using one of those as a mirage indicator? Since the mirage "bends" the image of the target coming to the shooter it should also bend the laser going to the target making the image of the dot move on the target - giving the shooter some indication of where exactly he's seeing.

Makes my head hurt to think about it but if it bent the same both ways all would be equal.

Well we tested it today and found it pretty much useless. At 100 yards the dot is about 4" and dim. We talked to a tech at the manufacturer and he said we could return it and he would send a higher power. We explained to him what we would use it for and he said 25 nw is not enough. I am ready to scrap the project but my shooting partner wants to keep going with it. If it can't be used safely I want no part of it.
However I would like to hear about others expiences with them.

Here's a couple of photos of how I mounted a laser to my rifle.

Laser1.jpg

The mount is designed so that I don't have to remove the scope from the rifle to install the Laser. The Laser mount clamps to the scope dovetail on top of the action.

Laser2.jpg

While the beam of the laser is aprox. 4" diameter @ 100 yards I have the beam adjusted to the horizontal crosshair for a 6:00 hold, centered on the verticle. Isn't hard to center up the flag stand and then insure the vane on my windflag is just below the beam (flag closest to the target board). I can then the next flags off the beam, offset to the first flag using the laser beam. I set my flags early in the morning before the bright sun becomes an issue.

Just a quick thought,,, How about using a small flashlight with an long extended small diameter tube such that a fellow can just bend down a look directly into little white light at the end of the tunnel. You can buy those open ended plastic clip style holders for quick mount onto the scope tube or barrel. Harmless enough, cheap, and simple.

Yes that’s exactly the way to do it.
I was at a match were a child was pointing one of those >5mw unsafe illegal things at shooters between relays for giggles, and I find this thread appalling.

Here is a trick

I used when I was varmit hunting at night. I got real tired of hunting for a coyote I shot for hours on end. Took a cheap scope and rigged up a fairly intense flash light. This set up was mounted on a small tripod
and once I made a kill, I would line up the scope on it, slip on the flash light lens, walk out & pick it up. Not an easy task hiking out a couple hundred yards on a no moon night.

It worked like a champ and you could actually see the crosshairs in the scope when you looked back as the cast a faint shadow across the country side.

Cant see why it wouldnt work setting up flags or whatever.

Sort of a transit in reverse. And it didnt cost much.

Aloha, Les

I do not understand why this entire thread would be appauling due to one childs misuse of equipment. The parents lack of supervision is what is appauling. Had the child been pointing a gun at everyone would every thread here be appauling? As for me I stated earlier I have no intention of using a laser if it can't be done safely. The set up I have tried has the laser mounted with a scope on a block of aluminum which is attacted to a tripod. The crosshairs of the scope are aligned with the target before the laser is ever turned on.
Thanks for bringing attention to the fact that childeren at matches need supervision.

Back