Good clibers for f class open, advice please

Now Ben,

She probably feels alienated by being replaced by the lathe. If she could only see that it's an investment for the future.

When you get the time, go to my website, www.viperbench-rest.com and check out the powder coating section. I just shipped a new rest to a guy and photos are there. the metal flake in the gold pieces got washed out in the flash but it's really pretty.

Bob

If the lathe could only cook supper..... (I hope she doesn't read this)

Looks pretty sexy. The forearm must be enormous on Fred's rifle. Makes my Midwayusa rest look like a beater.

Have you ever messed with Duracoat?

Ben

Fred has an 8" wide forend on his heavy gun.

I'll have to look into Dura Coat. Do you have a link to it?

You'll know if your wife reads this thread if when you get home all your clothes are on the front lawn.

Also what is the best reloading equipment buy, need a basic listof reloading supplies, thanks.
I think your best bet is to buy a couple of reloading manuals, and read thru them. Plus what is available to read on the internet. This will answer a lot of questions about the equipment needed. The reason I say this is because I'm too damn lazy to make a basic list.:D

The "best" is open to opinion.

I bought what I think was the best value, years ago, and I'm still using it. You can upgrade scales and stuff later.
But, the RCBS rock chucker kit has been good to me. I have the aluminum primer tubes, and electronic scales/measure now.

I think the Redding stuff is a little better, but the press isn't much better. the redding dies are a lot better though.

I think attention to detail and taking no shortcuts in reloading makes the difference more than the brand stuff you use.

But, make sure your having fun no matter what.

Ben

Eddybro. In your post about 6-6.5 x 47 lapua you said its easy to reform case from 6.5 x 47 lapua. I would appreciate a detailed description of how this is done ? I am thinking of going to 6 x 47 Lapua for F class. I have a 6 BR on a barnard action now but the barrel has a 1:14 twist which limits its effective range. The 6 Br 14 twist will probably go onto a Savage precision target action for 4P shooting up to 200 Metres

Reforming 6.5 x 47 Lapua Cases

:confused:Eddybro. In your post about 6-6.5 x 47 lapua you said its easy to reform case from 6.5 x 47 lapua. I would appreciate a detailed description of how this is done ? I am thinking of going to 6 x 47 Lapua for F class. I have a 6 BR on a barnard action now but the barrel has a 1:14 twist which limits its effective range. The 6 Br 14 twist will probably go onto a Savage precision target action for 4P shooting up to 200 Metres

Good calibers for F-Class Open

I've been using 6mm Competition Match for about two years now. It's basicly a .243 Winchester with the shoulder extended about 1/10" and modified to a blunter angle. With 115 gr DTAC bullets and 49.0 gr. of H-1000, I'm getting performance similar to the 6.5x284 without burning out my barrel in 700-1000 rounds. That was an important feature for me because I'm cheap. ;)

--Dave MacDonald
--Pittsgrove, NJ

Last edited by a moderator:
good calibers for f-class

it HAS to shoot less than .5 moa. a lot of calibers will work. my second choice would be 6.5-06; 3 -6mm br; 4- 22-250 . if you shoot where it is windy then a 7mmshort. the 6.5-284 is best. roninflag

I think Mr. Leeper is right in that the nut behind the butt makes the most difference, however I have become a fan of the 6-6.5X47 Lapua in F-Class. It easily drives high BC 6mm bullets such as the Berger 105's and the 115's beyond 3000 fps. and its inherent accuracy is excellent.

It's overbore index is better than the 243 and it can be shot all day comfortably

6mm Competition Match

I've been very happy with 6mm Competition Match (modified .243 Winchester) using Lapua Brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 115 gr. DTAC bullets, and 49.0 gr. H-1000. It has similar performance characteristics to 6.5x284 but doesn't burn up the barrel in 700-1000 rounds.

I'm too cheap to buy that many new barrels :)

See the posts by Joe Hendricks, on this site, for further review. He's the 6mm CM guru.

--Dave

If one was comparing the .308 and the 6mmBR which one would give a longer barrel life at comparable accuracy?

From my observations 6mmBR will be more accurate than .308Win till about 2000 rounds. Of course rechambering the BR (earlier than 2000 rounds) will prolong its accuracy life. I have never owned a BR but several friends use them.

Alan

Back